Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cormorants
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:37 am 
Walleye

OFAH continue to campaign for an action plan to reduce cormorant numbers. The number of birds on the bay has to impact the fishery, the smell and pollution around the nesting islands is also an issue with me. The water intake from Belleviile isn't far away. The birds are also expanding ranges and are appearing on small inland lakes. Please take time to send an email or emails to your MPP and municipal politicians in support of a plan to manage numbers. Even better send an actual letter, it takes time for a letter to bounce around an office before it reaches the intended recipient and more people are forced to read them.

Post subject: Re: Cormorants
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:23 pm 
Guppy

I think it would fix it if they opened a hunting season. A lot of people would hunt them. They won't open a season on over populated invasive species. It's like they are endangered or something

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:12 pm 
Walleye Catcher

scout wrote:
OFAH continue to campaign for an action plan to reduce cormorant numbers. The number of birds on the bay has to impact the fishery, the smell and pollution around the nesting islands is also an issue with me. The water intake from Belleviile isn't far away. The birds are also expanding ranges and are appearing on small inland lakes. Please take time to send an email or emails to your MPP and municipal politicians in support of a plan to manage numbers. Even better send an actual letter, it takes time for a letter to bounce around an office before it reaches the intended recipient and more people are forced to read them.

They ruined o couple of my beaver swaps that i used to catch brook trout at.Went there every year since I was a kid ,I always got nice fish some over 12 inches long.Went there 2 years ago no fish not even a little one.Then i notice those black bastard I hate them ,I would love to shoot some myself. :x :x :x :x :x :x

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:31 am 
Walleye

Falcons! fight fire with fire We had Thousands of those commies at the station I work at. Hydro would shoot noise cannons off that just scard them for a bit, Then along came a falcon. Wow She can kill anything that moves and she dose. She drops from 300 ft. and bam! We dont have a comorant problam anymore.

20 Honda Kicker
TR1 Gold with iTroll Throttle Command
Fish Hawk X4
23 Ft. Sulvan Great lakes rigged
18 Ft centre consol Starcraft
Great lake Salmon Rigged
and a canoe

Last edited by thedrifter on Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:53 am 
Walleye

I spend a fair amount of time on the Big Rideau. They have colonized an island there now. Big Rideau has been known as an excellent smallmouth fishery. Last year they were tough to catch. Not sure if it's just a one year thing or if the cormorants are having an affect. See what this year proves. It's also a great lake trout fishery. Trout fishing has remained consistent.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:42 pm 
Guppy

Hamilton harbour is plagued with them too as they destroy island trees and eat many young fish in the coyotes paradise canal outflow. Noticed them bothering a pack of small alewife looking fish in the shallows there about three weeks ago. As the food chain gets distorted then occasional temporary management of certain species is needed. For example I am not sure what effect this are having in the walleye stocking in Hamilton harbour but they patrol the small islands that were built at the west end for walleye spawning, which the original stocked fish should now be doing. It was my next question at Saturday's symposium panel discussion, but it got closed off to make the motor draw. 10hp unit for some lucky person.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:23 pm 
Guppy

bowhunter wrote:
I spend a fair amount of time on the Big Rideau. They have colonized an island there now. Big Rideau has been known as an excellent smallmouth fishery. Last year they were tough to catch. Not sure if it's just a one year thing or if the cormorants are having an affect. See what this year proves. It's also a great lake trout fishery. Trout fishing has remained consistent.

The difficulty of catching smallmouth bass on the Big Rideau could, in part, be caused by the high number of bass tournaments they hold on that body of water. Last summer had a significant number of tournaments; more than in previous years it seemed.
I fish that body of water most often and the launch I use near Rideau Ferry was taken over by the tournament guys several times.
A one day tournament often has a few days of pre-fishing occurring as well.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:55 pm 
Walleye Angler

Falcons eh... wonder ....

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:29 am 
Jumbo Perch

I remember years ago the Brother Islands out front of Collins Bay was a great small mouth bass fishing location. Cormorants moved in, killed all trees and if you fished down wind the smell would gag you.
Not many fish around there now.
The past owner of Collins Bay Marina told me that around his docks he had thousands of minnows and bait fish which thrived. Then one year in came the cormorants the next year all the minnows and bait fish were gone.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:25 am 
Walleye Angler

CBC radio had a clip of the local MPP ask8ng that the Ontario government look into controlling the commerants .
The radio host was agitated that someone would harm birds.
If she wants I'll give her a ride to and from the 3brothers islands so she and her friends can camp out with the "protected" birds.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:37 am 
Walleye

I have already seen them in the local golf course ponds. It sure didn't take long for them to come back north.

Flying stinky snakes. I was hoping that they would some how level off their population but I guess that won't happen until all the food base is gone.

Regards

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:07 pm 
Walleye

They're also nesting along the shoreline now where in the past were isolated to the islands mostly.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:12 pm 
Walleye

Over 1200 people read the cormorant post if each one would take a few minutes to email there MPP and mayor we can do something about these pest

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:24 pm 
Walleye Angler

Seen at least 4 dozen of the black darlings on Dog Lake.
Not good. They will clean out the bait fish in no time

banner ad
banner ad