It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:19 pm 
Walleye Angler

Cold water at this time of year
http://www.northumberlandnews.com/news- ... geon-lake/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:33 pm 
Walleye

Sad and what's worse, it could have been preventable - "No one was wearing a life-jacket." It ticks me off - how many times do have to see/hear this line about fatal boat accidents? Charlie Dopking was another unfortunate instance of going out in windy conditions without a lifejacket. Every year I see guys fishing and boating without this essential life saving device. I don't care it is warm, water is calm, only going out for short time, etc, wearing a life jacket WILL save your life, not if it's stuffed in a boat cubby.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:18 pm 
Walleye Master

><>J wrote:
Sad and what's worse, it could have been preventable - "No one was wearing a life-jacket." It ticks me off - how many times do have to see/hear this line about fatal boat accidents? Charlie Dopking was another unfortunate instance of going out in windy conditions without a lifejacket. Every year I see guys fishing and boating without this essential life saving device. I don't care it is warm, water is calm, only going out for short time, etc, wearing a life jacket WILL save your life, not if it's stuffed in a boat cubby.

you can be killed crossing a road . I don't like people telling me what I have to do because they fear for my safety saying this a little common sense goes a long ways billions of people go boating every year just like 100 billion cross a road lets not give them a reason to make a silly law so they can dig into your pockets and give you a fine..... id be willing to bet a pay check you do not always drive the speed limit, and yes there is a law for that. why do they have a seat belt law when your in a car and let a person drive a motor cycle ? for that matter why does a driving without a seatbelt cost $250 in fines when driving 140 Klm putting other peoples lives at risk (NOT JUST YOUR OWN) only cost $100 bucks? is it safety issue or a money grab? the law says you have to have a pfd for each person on a boat. cars come with a seat belt when you buy them, And yes hot coffee is usually hot when you buy it!

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:27 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Grizzly wrote:
><>J wrote:

you can be killed crossing a road . I don't like people telling me what I have to do because they fear for my safety saying this a little common sense goes a long ways billions of people go boating every year just like 100 billion cross a road lets not give them a reason to make a silly law so they can dig into your pockets and give you a fine..... id be willing to bet a pay check you do not always drive the speed limit, and yes there is a law for that. why do they have a seat belt law when your in a car and let a person drive a motor cycle ? for that matter why does a driving without a seatbelt cost $250 in fines when driving 140 Klm putting other peoples lives at risk (NOT JUST YOUR OWN) only cost $100 bucks? is it safety issue or a money grab? the law says you have to have a pfd for each person on a boat. cars come with a seat belt when you buy them, And yes hot coffee is usually hot when you buy it!

well said :wink:

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:05 pm 
Guppy

No problem, just register that you will not risk any others life in rescue or take up a bed in hospital that could be used for others. Have your dependent relatives also sign off for liability reasons as your family may disagree with your suicidal approach.
They should change the law that at least the jackets are accessible at all times. Putting them over a seat back takes no room and no time when needed.
The final point is that this message board needs you!
Take care out there.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:27 pm 
Walleye Angler

Suisidal approach...? Break out the bubble suits. Can't skin your knee if you fall off your bike, or from climbing a tree, and they float....add the filtered air option to keep the germs at bay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:51 am 
Walleye Master

fisherpricey wrote:
No problem, just register that you will not risk any others life in rescue or take up a bed in hospital that could be used for others. Have your dependent relatives also sign off for liability reasons as your family may disagree with your suicidal approach.
They should change the law that at least the jackets are accessible at all times. Putting them over a seat back takes no room and no time when needed.
The final point is that this message board needs you!
Take care out there.

Pulling out a pfd requires a little common sense. this is something all humans are born with just far too many choose not to use it.

How would making a law change or benefit a person who chooses not to use what god gave them? in the case here law says a pfd must be present when boating. this was not the case 3 people in a canoe. none wearing a pfd 2 die one lives. survival of the fittest??. maybe they should fine the survivor 3 times ??? do you think they will even fine the survivor? exactly where do you think the money from a fine would go?? the dead paid with there lives the survivor has to live with the loss of there friends. and you would like to see everyone else pay for someone's lack of better judgement??

Again I would like to say. a little common sense goes a long ways. and you just cant fix stupid. even with a fine! don't you think there is enough laws already in place. so the answer is NOT to make MORE law that people will ignore.

No PFD. do you think they actually had a bailing can, signal device, and water proof flashlight with them?

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:48 am 
Walleye Angler

When car guys get involved in boating safety they exempted manual power and wind from the PCOC, canoes and small boats being the #1 killer in boating. Canoeist lives matter. As much as I don't like the PCOC program it has saved lives and should be extended to where it is needed. When I was in the Prince Edward Power Squadron I tried to get a canoe coarse going with no luck, I think the CPS might now have a canoe coarse but it wasn't anything I did.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:56 am 
Walleye Angler

The reality is that if you fall in without wearing a lifejacket in late fall/early spring, you will likely die. There are no police, no MNR, no cottagers, and very few boaters to help you. We cannot assume that they were non-compliant and it really doesn't matter. Whistle/flares aren't going to matter because there is no one there to hear/see them. This time of year (and late fall), the most important piece of equipment is your life jacket and its common sense to wear it!

The majority of people on this board already understand the need to wear your lifejacket late fall/early spring; take a drive on 49 in November and look at the bay. Hundreds of orange survival suits. As a community, we should try to 'fix stupid' and encourage wearing life jackets during these times.

My thoughts go out to the families.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:49 am 
Walleye Master

MattClapp wrote:
The reality is that if you fall in without wearing a lifejacket in late fall/early spring, you will likely die. There are no police, no MNR, no cottagers, and very few boaters to help you. We cannot assume that they were non-compliant and it really doesn't matter. Whistle/flares aren't going to matter because there is no one there to hear/see them. This time of year (and late fall), the most important piece of equipment is your life jacket and its common sense to wear it!

The majority of people on this board already understand the need to wear your lifejacket late fall/early spring; take a drive on 49 in November and look at the bay. Hundreds of orange survival suits. As a community, we should try to 'fix stupid' and encourage wearing life jackets during these times.

My thoughts go out to the families.

you are so right most guys already know the risks..... and some are just huge risk takers.

Common sense tells me they did not have a pfd on if they did then a body recovery would not take 6 days.

using even more common sense tells me if I am out 200 yards from shore and fall in even with a pfd when the water is 36 degrees there is a huge chance I will die before I ever make it to shore or be able to swim fast enough to catch my trolling boat I guess that's why they make a kill switch lanyard .. maybe they should make a law that closes the lake during cold weather season? there is nothing good about what has happened its a tragic accident but there is still no 100% guarantee with all the warnings, laws, modern safety devices offered all lives would have been saved .I only commented because someone thinks a law needs to be made I think I would give up fishing if I had to have my PFD on the whole time I was out in my boat cold weather or warm weather over 300 feet of water or 8 inches of water in a bass boat

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:56 am 
Site Admin

Grizz giv up fishing... Dont believe it for a second. Even if they made it so bad you had to wear a pink and purple spotted tutu style floater suit you would still be fishing. Id bet on that!
Matt, well said regarding the majority of us using common sense and trying to fix stupid. When I see an opportunity to "fix stupid" it's usually with a light hearted conversation pointing out the obvious in a non confrontational manner. Doesn't always work but I feel better as I walk away.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:16 am 
Walleye

I was not advocating for laws but common sense and to make it a habit of donning a PFD. I rather err on the side of caution, you never know what can happen:
- slamming on a hidden rock shoal while jumping at 80 km/hr
- being hit by a summer yahoo on jetski or powerboat driven by a drunk/stoned guy
- slipping and knocking yourself out as you fall overboard

Once thrown in the water, I'd rather have a PFD help me keep afloat rather than deal with injuries AND to struggle to stay above water, especially if it's cold. I know they are rare incidents and may never happen in your lifetime, but why take a chance? I'm the kind of guy prioritizes safety.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:31 am 
Walleye Fry

><>J wrote:
I was not advocating for laws but common sense and to make it a habit of donning a PFD. I rather err on the side of caution, you never know what can happen:
- being hit by a summer yahoo on jetski or powerboat driven by a drunk/stoned guy

Once thrown in the water, I'd rather have a PFD help me keep afloat rather than deal with injuries AND to struggle to stay above water, especially if it's cold. I know they are rare incidents and may never happen in your lifetime, but why take a chance? I'm the kind of guy prioritizes safety.

well said......

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:39 am 
Walleye Master

><>J wrote:

This statement sounds a little different from your first statement and the point I was trying to make by your first statement is there is already discussions by law makers trying to make a law that a PFD must be used at all times while boating on the waters.

In the states this law is already in effect during cold weather months I think November to May a PFD must be used (Worn) while boating.

I think they would like to make this a law all the time if boat is under power regardless if you are doing 80 MPH or 2.2 MPH . it is a law now for jet skis and maybe should be for a canoe. kayak, small sail boat. they are not really what one would consider a stable craft.

If that law were to come in effect it would be very easy to enforce from a long distance as per your statement there is no law keeping someone from doing 80 MPH slamming there boat on the rocks. there is a law against being drunk or stoned but that does not stop some people. yet now they can ding money from my pocket because I am not protecting myself from someone who might be drunk or stoned and slams into my boat

Like some said most people do know the risks, and most use common sense it is just the odd few that make it hard on the rest. and even a law cant fix stupid and law makers just look at another way to get into a persons pockets. last week I witnessed an opp officer talking on his cell phone while driving down the road

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:29 am 
Walleye

It's a tragic accident, feel for the families of the fisherman.

As for all this mandatory PFD & if you don't wear it, you should have to pay for own rescue, hospital fees etc...give me a break! Theres all kinds of accidents that happen daily in Ontario that could've been prevented. Should we start charging them for rescue & hospital fees? Maybe we could set up a new court system to determine who pays...funded by the tax payers, you know the folks that already fund the groups like the police, fire departments, hospitals. No wonder our taxes are so high in Ontario. I get sick of all the safety patrol citizens trying to force there beliefs & thinking on everybody else. That's why kids have to wear a helmet when riding a bicycle. You can still drowned in PFD or floater suit. I prefer personal choice over the government making things mandatory but that's me, I guess I enjoy what's left of my personal rights.

banner ad
banner ad