Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Kiwanis prizes
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:52 pm 
Walleye

Sure would be nice to know what I have to look forward to winning. I've been in this derby every year since 2002 and don't remember the prizes taking so long to be announced?? Anyone know what the scoop is?

Post subject: Re: Kiwanis prizes
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:08 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

They are all give aways (donations) - not much merchandise, especially fishing tackle.

Prizes for the kids would REALLY be thrilling for an 8 or 10 year old- Gee another fishing trip.

Just my .02

David aka Superdad

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:22 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Superdad wrote:
They are all give aways (donations) - not much merchandise, especially fishing tackle.

Prizes for the kids would REALLY be thrilling for an 8 or 10 year old- Gee another fishing trip.

Just my .02

David aka Superdad

I miss the dead line on tickets for 35 buck now 50 going to find it hard to spend that on a weekend tournament .when for just over a 100 the salmon derby is 7 weeks and 8 vehicles .

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:05 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

charlie464 wrote:
Superdad wrote:

Just my .02

David aka Superdad

I miss the dead line on tickets for 35 buck now 50 going to find it hard to spend that on a weekend tournament .when for just over a 100 the salmon derby is 7 weeks and 8 vehicles .

If your only buying a ticket to win a prize your better off just spending $50 at pro tackle of cdn tire on tackle.

Keep in mind too though that it's all for charity and they use the money raised right back in the community.

Hats off again for the folks who volunteer to run this again year after year.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:21 am 
Walleye Catcher

Prizes can be fund here.

http://www.kiwaniswalleyeworld.com/prizes/

Stacy
Pro Tackle

(2 Km north of Hwy #401 up Hwy #37)

Specializing in Musky, Walleye, Bass and Pike tackle
Fishing Charters

Local phone: 613-968-4111
Toll Free:1-888-442-7456

Check our online Catalog at www.protacklefishing.com

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:58 pm 
Walleye Angler

I totally get it that it's for a charity but come on $50 now?
I think for $20 more ppl would fish it and care less about the prizes seeing as really the only decent prize is first place. This Tourny is turning into one that more Tourny anglers are fishing more so then just the average angler and maybe why the numbers are continuously dewindling. Back in 2003 my partner won 3rd and at that time it was an 8hp Honda outboard four stroke, third prize now u get a charter?
The numbers have been going down for a number of yrs and the ticket prizes just keep going up and upend they are still getting 3,000+ anglers. Do the math that's a lot of coin going back into the community and very little spent on prizes.
Just my 2 cents worth but the writing is on the wall at least that's what I believe but will I still support it and the answer to that is likely yes because I am one of the Tourny anglers who r in it to win it.

Paul

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:27 pm 
Goby

The real prize values have gone down, and the cost to enter has gone up. The advertising is deceiving, with hundreds of thousands of dollars in prizes....how many here have ever caught or seen a tagged fish?

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:11 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I caught a tagged fish but it was a week after the the derby and I got around $150 worth of product for it. There has been several caught during the derby worth $1000 each.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:52 pm 
Walleye Master

HEY HEY HEY Paul. What's wrong with a charter? Lol.

I'm just having fun. I'm not offend in the least.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:16 pm 
Walleye

We are in it to win as well and fish hard for it and if it is nothing well we had fun and I got the chance to drown some lures. As for prizes just curious what they were this year. Good luck all

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:09 am 
Walleye

Here is my opinion on it:

The Kiwanis Derby starts at 12:01 Saturday Morning until 4pm Sunday Evening. For either $35 if you get the ticket early, or $50 if you get it after the deadline. You get OVER 24 plus hours to fish in a "tournament". Put this into perspective: Bass tournament, or even say walleye tournaments, you are fishing 7am-3pm. say the cheapest competitive event is around $100 for an 8 hour ordeal. Being able to fish for over 24 hours at either $30 or $50 doesn't seem to be all that bad. If you don't want to pay the $50 dollars, its simple-get a ticket BEFORE the deadline-maybe they do this to try to get more people excited about the derby ahead of time and possibly get a better idea on the numbers of folks who are participating for the years event to plan things?. Plus you get a hat, and this year, they are the nicest i have seen in the last 10 or so years i have fished the event.

If your going out to fish opening weekend anyways, why not gamble $35-$50 for the chance of winning something. I am sure someone has spent 35-50 on something useless before. i know i have. You cant win if you don't participate.

As for the where the money goes, its a charity event. Think of going out fishing and donating money. its a win-win. you feel good to be fishing and you feel good to be donating. I don't see any issues with that

I will agree that the prizes are going a little slim-but the first place winner gets a pretty nice looking rig. ill be honest, I won the 2012 walleye derby. It was a 16 foot Lund with a 25 hp motor. Bare bones. In 2013, they switched to the Legend boats with a 60hp boat. the boat DOUBLED in price from $12,000-$20,000. Was i upset that the following year they doubled the value of the boat...sure, maybe a little, (as i sold the boat i won anyways and bought appliances and furniture for my new home), regardless, i went out and fished that night to fish...yup, it costed me $30 bucks back then, but if i didn't have my ticket-i would have never won...

Now a days too, companies are really tight on how much they can "donate" to events like this. With the dollar, economy and everything else in this day in age, its really hard to get "BIG" prizes. I run a memorial fishing event for my Dad. Its a fundraiser for local animal shelters, and ill tell ya: the people/companies that donate are pretty much all local, or small business because the larger companies dont do that stuff any more. its hard to get them to budge. The rich get richer. Its the small local guys that offer guiding packages, resort stays, etc that all they are trying to do is give a good product out that people might return. Getting things like motors, and large ticket items are long gone. its a reality.

If you have ever organized any type of event, party or gathering, not everyone is going to happen of how its ran. I get that. But you have to give thanks to those who help organize an event this large. So, thank you to those who help!

Just go out and fish! if you slam a hawg walleye, then hey, good on yah-but i hope you have a ticket....could get a nice boat

just my own 3 cents worth of comments.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:47 pm 
Walleye

Well said Marco!

- Andrew

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:40 pm 
Walleye Angler

Come to think of it, I have never seen a list of which charities get what amount of monies from the Kiwanis Club. This derby must raise a lot of money and the donations should be made public ????????

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:45 pm 
Walleye Angler

A good deal of my point was simple and this,

At $40 per person and 3,000 entrants that $120,000.......
Does It make anymore sense to anyone now? Like I said before it's a lot of coin going where?
That's at 3,000 tickets and in many yrs past they sold upwards of 5,000 and even at $30 a ticket back then that is $150,000 for all to know and see.

Now can u tell me why oh why the prizes are what they are?

Just for the record I won the pike last yr and am on the fence again this yr but in the end will buy a ticket and not because I am wanting to help the local charities because I already do enough of that if my tax dollars weren't enough.

Paul

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:59 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

All the prizes are not donated,they have to pay for a lot of them, but most are at cost.When I worked at CTC they would bring in a list of what they wanted,we would get them together they would pay for them after the derby.

banner ad
banner ad