Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Re: Kiwanis prizes
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:12 pm 
Walleye Master

I can't believe how every year people complain about this tournament. If you don't like the rules, format, payout, etc...than don't buy a ticket!!!
At least so far this year nobody is complaining about Free Camping!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:12 am 
Walleye Angler

Walleye 9,

I do believe this forum is called beg and brag and in it being as such I guess u could say some of us are adking(begging) someone with the power(Kiwanis) to do something about the prizes as clearly they have kept going down over the yrs as the ticket prices keep going up.
To further my earlier point I was making was simply the only prize in my opinion worth wining is first as the others don't interest me as I don't think u could sell the other prizes at least not second or third.
This tourney has been running so very long and I would like to see my son grow up to fish it for 50 yrs also but as you should be able to see going from well over 5,000 anglers not likely 10 yrs ago to 3,000 or so now there is a drastic change in who is fishing it and someone should ask the question as to why?
It's very clear to me as to why the anglers aren't coming like they once were so what is your opinion as to why this Tourny has almost half the anglers it once had?
I'm not sure if someone could pull up say a list from 10 yrs ago of what the prizes were to what they are now so that I am not just telling u what they once were but there would be the proof and answer to the million dollar question.

Paul

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:44 am 
Walleye

I like the thrill of just having my name up on the board even if it does get kicked off in a day or two it gives me that thrill knowing I'm doing something right to get fish in the boat. Way back I won first for Pike and that year it was a 9.9 Honda long shaft and it has hung like a trophy off every boat I've owned over the years from a 12' Sears tin can to my 196 Princecraft and to this day I am very thankful to have the story on how I caught that Pike and the memories I share with the friends I was with that day. Over my years in this derby my sons have placed 1st and 5 th as juniors my nephew 7 as a junior and it's amazing how many years later these guys now in their 20's still enjoy the derby and every year we meet up with old friends and go.
Hope it brings good memories to you as well.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:02 am 
Walleye Master

Walleye 100% Club wrote:
Walleye 9,

I do believe this forum is called beg and brag and in it being as such I guess u could say some of us are adking(begging) someone with the power(Kiwanis) to do something about the prizes as clearly they have kept going down over the yrs as the ticket prices keep going up.
To further my earlier point I was making was simply the only prize in my opinion worth wining is first as the others don't interest me as I don't think u could sell the other prizes at least not second or third.
This tourney has been running so very long and I would like to see my son grow up to fish it for 50 yrs also but as you should be able to see going from well over 5,000 anglers not likely 10 yrs ago to 3,000 or so now there is a drastic change in who is fishing it and someone should ask the question as to why?
It's very clear to me as to why the anglers aren't coming like they once were so what is your opinion as to why this Tourny has almost half the anglers it once had?
I'm not sure if someone could pull up say a list from 10 yrs ago of what the prizes were to what they are now so that I am not just telling u what they once were but there would be the proof and answer to the million dollar question.

Paul

Paul....I don't doubt what you are saying, and I somewhat agree with you. Obviously people complaining on this forum isn't the solution though. Stop buying tickets and when the attendance gets down to 1000 people maybe then they will realize what's going on.
On the other hand, if you are in it to win the big prize, then I think $35 is a pretty good deal for a chance at a $30,000 boat.
For people that are in it for fun, then $35 is still a pretty good deal for a shot at some decent prizes and a weekend of fun.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:57 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Hi guys,

Pro tackle is a major gold sponsor. It's $5,000 to be a gold sponsor and to be put on the hat. I have changed up the prizes that I have donated over the years to keep things new. Last year I supplied ocean kayaks, and many tackle prizes plus $1,000's in gift certificates. This all comes out of my pocket. This year's I am giving away 2 charters plus a whack of tackle, Rod and reel combo to the lucky person that wins my third place prize. Plus $1,000's in gift certificates again.

It's funny listening to the people complaining. They obviously don't know the operating cost involed in operating the largest walleye event in North America.

Maybe Kiwanis can post what the percentage of tickets sales goes to charities after expenses are paid. You will be very surprised what operation cost / proceeds are. I don't know the numbers....i think its only around 1/4 of the money raised is left after bills are paid.

It's your choice is if you want to support this charity event. We do, and are proud to do our part in making it better.

If you don't buy a ticket...and still fish...if you catch a 10lb plus walleye.......that would be funny!...its only $50

Pro tackle would like to thank everyone for the support.

Good luck fishing opening weekend.

Dont forget to stop in at Pro tackle April 30th. For our preseason sale and Kiwanis charity BBQ.

Stacy
Pro tackle

(2 Km north of Hwy #401 up Hwy #37)

Specializing in Musky, Walleye, Bass and Pike tackle
Fishing Charters

Local phone: 613-968-4111
Toll Free:1-888-442-7456

Check our online Catalog at www.protacklefishing.com

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:30 am 
Minnow

X 2 Walleye 9

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:58 am 
Walleye

so from what i understand they have the early price to get people to buy so they know how much money to buy prizes... kind of hard to know what you have when people buy last minute! not many people are donating anymore,so thats why the prizes are going down hill. if it was not for the places like north country marine giving a break on the price of the boats and pro tackle donating all the stuff they do there would be very little in prizes. last year i did not buy a ticket because of the price increase,but knowing what i do now i will buy every year if i fish it or not............Remember its for the kids,were investing in our future! My 2 cents

banner ad
banner ad