Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:48 pm 
Walleye Angler

Under the pictures,is a brief article on Trout stocking out of the North Bay hatchery.
http://www.northumberlandtoday.com/2016 ... in-cobourg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:01 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

I wonder what strain of lakers that they are stocking?

David aka Superdad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:00 pm 
Walleye Master

It's interesting to me that they stock lakers in lake o. The Eastern basin is crawling with them and it seems not many anglers keep them. I enjoy catching them so not complaining but I'd rather see them stock 200000 walleye per year.

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:02 am 
Walleye

As they say in the article "its our fishing licence dollars at work" to pay for 8 trips from North bay to stock more lakers. Personally id rather have my dollars pay for more browns and rainbow or to stock more of the back lakes but as anglers we don't get to make those decisions unfortunately just pay for them. No disrespect for the hatchery workers they do amazing work.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:57 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I hope it's the strain that spawn in the river. It's good to see them stocking on shore, because for years they have been stocking lakers in 100metres of water off cobourge. Lakers help control the goby population that's why thère stocked heavily in lake O, and to increase angler catch rates. It's good to see them stocking on shore as stocking them in 300fow did not increase catch rates. Years ago it was loaded with lakers, so I'm hopeing it's that same strain.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:04 pm 
Walleye Fry

pickerel killer wrote:
I hope it's the strain that spawn in the river. It's good to see them stocking on shore, because for years they have been stocking lakers in 100metres of water off cobourge. Lakers help control the goby population that's why thère stocked heavily in lake O, and to increase angler catch rates. It's good to see them stocking on shore as stocking them in 300fow did not increase catch rates. Years ago it was loaded with lakers, so I'm hopeing it's that same strain.

ummm.....what???? not correct

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:08 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

fishindevil wrote:
pickerel killer wrote:

ummm.....what???? not correct

Maybe u can elaborate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:30 pm 
Walleye

Did some quick research and looks like Ontario is stocking three strains of lake trout in Lake Ontario (Slate Island, Seneca Lake, Michipicoten Island strains). Cobourg had all three stocked last year, other major stocking locations are Brighton, Scotch Bonnet and Amherst Island to Main Duck. Looks like Mishibishu stain were last stocked in 2006 and were the river run strain from what I can tell. NY also stocks Seneca Lake, Lake Champlain and Lake Superior strains.

Here's some info from the Lake Huron restoration report:

http://www.glfc.org/pubs/SpecialPubs/Lk ... pHuron.pdf

Slate Island Strain - Shallow Water (Lake Superior Origin), Michipicoten Island Strain - (Lake Superior Origin)

“The Slate Island and Michipicoten Island strains of lake trout originated from wild Lake
Superior stocks. These two strains are currently being used in rehabilitation efforts in
Canadian waters of Lake Huron. Growth and maturation rates of the Slate and
Michipicoten Island strains appear to be slower than for the Lake Manitou strain. These
two strains seem better suited to areas of Lake Huron where sea lamprey and fishing
mortality are low due to characteristic slow growth. Stocking additional Lake Superior
strains will increase the genetic diversity of Lake Huron lake trout stocks, as suggested
by various authors at RESTORE.”

Seneca Strain - Deep Water (Seneca Lake NY Origin)

“The Seneca strain of lake trout, especially at small sizes, appears to be more resistant to
both sea lamprey predation and commercial and sport fisheries than other strains stocked
in Lake Huron. No Seneca-strain lake trout < 532 mm in length captured during 1991-95
in Lake Huron bore sea lamprey marks. By way of comparison, sea lamprey marking
rates on other strains at comparable sizes had sea lamprey marking rates that were up to
ten times greater. In northern Lake Huron, Seneca-strain lake trout are subjected
to intense sea lamprey predation rates, yet this strain still grows to reproductive size.
Age-10 Seneca-strain lake trout were captured on spawning grounds in the Drummond
Island Refuge in 1995. Most other strains of lake trout that live in MH-1 do not survive
past age 6.”

Mishibishu strain
originally from the Dog River and presently existing only in an Ontario inland lake) for Ontario rivers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:24 am 
Walleye Master

The Seneca Lake strain is the highest percentage. In years past I believe it was as high as 90%. May be different now.

Al

Captain - Team ATOMMIK/Rockets

banner ad