Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:41 am 
Walleye

Can anyone please provide information about the walleye on Hay Bay. Myself and some family members are going to be visiting from Thursday thru Monday (May 12-16) and wanted to know if they're biting, active, not active, hitting on certain baits, jig/cast/troll??? Any info is helpful. Can't wait to be on the BOQ and Hay Bay. Thanks in advance!!!

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 1:22 pm 
Walleye Master

Go fishin. They'res fish everywhere in the lower bay. Slowish trolling bite yesterday but small cranks worked.

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 2:15 pm 
Walleye Catcher

My finance and I fished hay bay.(flats). Saturday morning. We done well we counted out in s couple hours. Just trolling with worm harnesses abs a keel sinker.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 7:18 pm 
Goby

I will also be in hay bay Friday morning to Sunday and will send a report in as to what is working ! Tight lines.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:10 pm 
Walleye

Thanks for the replies to this post everyone. Hope you
All have "eyes" in the live wells soon. Can't wait for Thirsday so we can wet some lines and reel in the big catch. Keep the replies and comments coming.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:24 am 
Goby

Just wondering where you will be staying? Me and a few buddies will be at perfect vu

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:44 am 
Walleye

We your Shawnee stay at Bass Cove campground your Shawnee stay at Bass Cove campground but we got a cottage near the Glenora Ferry and will be there from Thursday until Monday. Hope the fishing is turning in because we're ready to put some fish in the boat (fingers crossed).

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 2:09 pm 
Walleye

We Launched at the Church on Hay Bay this morning around 8am. Motored around the bay to Rams Island, Pickeral Park, Sherman's Point and a few spots in between. We landed about 3 dozen perch in the boat and that was all. Very frustrating that we can't land ONE walleye. Marked A LOT of fish but nothing took the worm. Jigged all day and came off the water at 2:30 with a dry live-well. Saw quite a few boats trolling and only saw two nets over the side of the boat. If anyone has any input, please reply. Conditions seemed perfect, except we didn't have any nets in the water.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 2:26 pm 
Baitfish

We fished Ram Island, pig farm up to Sherman point got seven plus some nice jumbo perch that made a few of our walleye not look so big. Largest was 18" hope to real keepers are still around although pan size tastes the same.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 5:38 pm 
Walleye

We tried some night fishing last night and didn't catch a single fish. Three long hours and noting to show for it. Wondering if there are conditions and/or circumstances that we aren't aware of ?? (Spawn/water temps/shad being present/ weather). We're scratching our heads as to why the fish (and not JUST walleye) aren't biting. ANY INPUT APPRECIATED

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:56 pm 
Walleye Master

How deep are u fishing your baits and what depth of water are you targeting. There are lots of fish being caught from the sounds of it. Try down the long reach or around by Mallory bay.

At night try off glen island casting stick baits or loud crank baits.

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:27 pm 
Walleye Master

I haven't been out yet this spring, but when I do get out I will definitely be targeting shallow water. Perch are spawning right now or are just finishing, and if you can find perch, you should find walleye. The perch spawn in 10 feet of water and less. Don't be afraid to go as shallow as 3-5 feet especially late in the day before dark. Not saying that walleye aren't in deeper water, but that would be my choice this time of year. The weather is definitely not in your favour this weekend, but if you do get out try high percentage times of day. 6-10 a.m and then again late afternoon till dark (or later)

Good Luck!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:58 pm 
Walleye

Thanks for the input Big Mac and Walleye9. We typically jig during the day in 5-25 ft and covered quite a few areas over the past 48 hours. We cast stick baits (floating to 10ft suspending) from early evening into the early morning. covered A LOT of territory tonight and landed our first TWO walleye in the boat with a 4 ft suspender out by Glen Island (in 8-10 ft of water). No action along the Marina shore line. Covered some other areas as well with ZERO results. Hope to get back out on the water tomorrow (Friday) morning and evening, weather permitting. The fish we landed had empty stomachs so we're hoping that they turn on REAL SOON. Who knows....maybe the forecasted rain will stir things up a bit. Good luck to all and thanks again for the input. Keep any tips and info coming. Much appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:02 am 
Walleye

Crawler harnesses all day bud, you will get a ton of perch and sheepshead but slow is the key, most of the time a drift is all you need. Just enough speed to have the blades turning. My best colours have always been green and chartreuse/orange. Full worm, as straight as possible. Good luck, 14-20 FOW...

teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Show him a fishing show, bore him to death...

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 3:30 pm 
Walleye

We managed to get out ahead of the rain today (7:30am) and launched from The Church and motored up Long Reach to the mouth of the Napanee River in hopes of finding a walleye bigger than 8-12 inches. When we got there, there were maybe 5 or 6 boats in sight. After about 30 minutes, there were 20-25 boats. The fish were smashing our bait but only one of the fish were big enough for a net (my brother-in-law got a 8lb or so sheeps head). We probably landed 30-40 walleye ranging from 6-12 inches. We saw quite a few boats putting their nets in the water for the same size fish, thinking they had "the big one". We couldn't believe they were keeping 8-12 inch walleye. They put them in their live-well/coolers as if they were 3 and 4 pound fish. Catch and release the small ones!!!
We stayed until 12pm and motored to Rams island and got a few small ones again. Rain was pretty heavy at times but the action was pretty consistent. It's nice to have action on the rod but I wish they were of size and weight. Also, anyone else have any luck anywhere else. With these winds picking up all over, it's doubtful we will be able to launch again tonight.