Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:02 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 6:11 pm 
Goby

Heading to Picton Harbour in with my dad and kid. Just got a new boat so kind of stoked to go try it out. I have never fished up there and I know people don't like to give up there spots but what would be the best for lures and or for trolling. Is minnows better or worms.

Is there a bait store by were I'm going also what would be the best jigging trolling or down rigging. Also how about the boards that people use not sure what I should be bringing and looking to have a good time with dad and son.

Not even sure about colors or anything. Also how's the fishing been up there.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:34 pm 
Guppy

Mattgsxr,
Your in great hands at PHI! Top notch folks there!

As a trolling guy I can only offer advice in that department. Smaller shad and minnow style crank baits as well as worm harness trolled at 1.5-1.7mph are typically most effective this time of the year. I use offshore planner boards and find them easy to use.

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:26 am 
Walleye

Just talk to Scott the owner of PHI. One of the great charter owners on the bay. He will help you out.

Safe Fishing First,
Jack
OrangePeel Adventures

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:54 pm 
Goby

That's great to hear. If anyone could give me a heads up of lures or colors worms minnows etc would be awsome.

Really looking forward to fishing.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:12 pm 
Walleye Master

Hello Mattgsxr. My name is Scott my wife and I bought the inn last summer and we have been working hard on it. We have made some progress but still have room for growth. We are getting there slowly. Thank you for booking with us. We appreciate the business. I also own and operate Bay of Quinte charters and will be on the water everyday next week. The bite has been a struggle but we are getting fish everyday right now. It is currently much tougher then it should be in the spring so it should turn on any day. Water temps are consistent throughout the east end of the bay and from surface to bottom is only 5 degrees difference. This means the fish have no reason to be anywhere and thus are everywhere. Lol. It's just s grind it out game to find some active fish. I love worm harness' and have had luck with green and purple blades. Crank baits have their time and place too. Smaller shad baits are usually best but minnow baits like the husky jerk and scatter rap minnow can be great too. So far this season husky jerks (blue silver) and worm harness' have been best. Don't be shy I leave the dock at 7 am and will be back by 4 pm everyday. Please come say hi. Thanks again for your business we really appreciate it.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:33 pm 
Walleye Master

If anyone will find ways to get those finicky walleye biting out there, it's Scott. You'll be staying with the best!

Make sure to get some Uzick spinners, tipping them with a big ole dew worm.

And if all else fails, try throwing some spoons around for the big pike that lurk up and down the reach. A good starting spot would be the flat that runs south from Keith's Shoal...usually big pike hang around there.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:37 pm 
Goby

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond that makes sound like it is going to be a very fun trip. We will be up there on Tuesday for a few nights we have a couple rooms booked. Really looking forward to the trip and so is the rest of us.

Have not fished much up there so just trying to get my ducks in a row. What are your thoughts on off shore planner boards. Is it worth picking some up tomorrow.

Also do you sell bait there

Also is there a place close that sells that uzick spinner would love to get some of those heard about them a lot and bass pro don't sell them.

banner ad