banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:43 am 
Walleye

If everyone on this site emails our MPP toddsmithmpp.ca and tells him support cormorant control or lose your support we can change things. Rest assured the wack job env. Lobby will be doing their thing in opposition. If we do not act the Bay is in trouble. Ask your freinds to do the same

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:07 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

that is not a valid email address scout

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:06 am 
Walleye Angler

it's the actual website for the mpp which provides contact information.

"I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation"

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:57 pm 
Walleye

Here is what I sent and what I got back.. Hope they do some thing about it.

Dave,

On behalf of Todd, thank you for your email. Mr. Smith is aware of the Cormorant issue in Prince Edward County and has met with local community groups and spoke with the Mayor.

The government has been approached by opposition members to remedy the issue with no result. Mr. Smith did not have a ballot date left in this legislature sitting, while MPP Bailey did and that is why Bill 205 was introduced by Mr. Smith’s caucus colleague Robert (Bob) Bailey. Currently the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act prohibits the hunting or trapping of Cormorant. Bill 205 would amend the act and allow Cormorants to be hunted or t rapped, thus eliminating the problem.

The government decides which bills will be heard at committee and which are brought back for third and final reading. It is our hope that this Bill receives full support from the government. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on this issue. We appreciate hearing from constituents. By the way we wish you a warm welcome to the Belleville area.

JENNIFER KYTE | CONSTITUENCY MANAGER
MPP TODD SMITH

Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2016 11:22 AM
To: Smith-co, Todd
Subject: Bill 205. Cormorant control

Good morning. I currently live in Burlington but will be moving to Belleville in mid- August.

I have owned a trailer on Big Bay for the last nine years and fish as often as I can. I see these birds out there constantly. Their number are growing in leaps. They are destroying the shoreline where they roost.
On the east end of Big Bay there is a rock point with one large tree on it. We call it the “Joshua Tree” after the famous tree in the U.S. You can see it for miles and use it as a guide point while fishing. Well those slimy birds are now roosting in it and I see it’s days are numbered.

Living here in Burlington we have seen what these have done uncontrolled to the Burlington Bay. The Region created islands in the bay, planted trees and shrubs as part of a rehabilitation project. Now they are just dead, awful smelling piles of rock. You cannot go anywhere near them due to the smell.

If left unchecked they will decimate the Walleye and perch population. I do not know if you have done any research yourself on these things. But if you haven’t please do so. If you have, then please work with the people to have something done about these.

Respectfully, Dave Wannitt.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:05 am 
Walleye

Well done, keep the pressure up, my next email goes to the premier

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:39 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I've now sent 2 emails to Sophie Kiwala (MPP for Kingston and the Islands) and not received any reply...

Good to read someone replied from another district.

Cheers

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:04 am 
Minnow

forget about wynn she wont listen you dont have enough money to support them besides
ONTARIO CAN WIN WITH WIN need her outa here

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:50 am 
Walleye Angler

Passed second reading last week...hopefully only a matter of time.
As Sunnyvale Trailer Park Supervisor Jim Lahey would say "The old $hit clock's ticking"

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:04 am 
Walleye

The next step will be a review committee and there will likely be an opportunity for public input, that will be our opportunity to again show support

banner ad
banner ad