Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:00 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Good news/ bad news
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:40 pm 
Walleye

Went out this morning early , my 11th trip since opening, good news like the previous 10 caught a couple of eyes, that is both bad news and good news, bad news like most trips walleye to small to keep, good news looks like next year will be awesome. Good news we were running boards and I said to my fishing partner I haven't seen a CO out here in years we should throw out a third line! We both agreed rules are rules and we kept out just the two, it wasn't 20 minutes later and I will be darned if two COs pulled up and did a thorough search, unbelievable.

Post subject: Re: Good news/ bad news
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:23 pm 
Walleye

So if not for your partner you would of thrown another line in and became a poacher then eh ?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:11 am 
Walleye Master

They were probably just joking, like the old where the dynamite ?
I see them out all the time.. But seems ok to fish for bass out of season now. even radio guy said yesterday,
we were out last weekend, and caught bass, but had to put them back.. this weekend we can eat them..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:32 am 
Baitfish

You can't target bass out of season. Ex if your casting shoreline through the day a C/O will charge you for targeting bass out of season iv seen it happen. If your trolling or jigging out from shore and catch a bass well accident s happen. This isn't open ended let's all use our brains out there. We can't always know what fish are where but I do know if your caught casting a top water lure at shore before bass opens your ask n for it

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:58 am 
Walleye

You can't cast to shore where pike live in the spring where bass happen to co-habitate? If you caught 2 or 3 bass and didn't move on while a CO is watching you might get a ticket, however, it is ludicrous to think it is against the law to cast towards shore simply because bass happen to live there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:34 pm 
Site Admin

This whole thing has come up before. There are numerous species of fish that live and cruise near shore areas including walleye. Most of the time its a uninformed/inexperienced angler that concludes the boat they see fishing near shore must be targeting bass. No doubt there are people who target fish that are out of season but lets not create more uninformed anglers by making misleading statements. Joey's comments are bang on.
To the original poster, I definitely have been out and wished I could have run a second line.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:29 am 
Walleye Catcher

Yes in NY you can run 3rods and where I live the walleye have to be 18 in. and you can only keep 2 . At least the bass opener is finally the same 8) Lots of nice eyes in the BOQ to come :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:55 pm 
Goby

Went fishing with a guide in late June for walleye, before bass seasoned open up, and we caught our limit of Walleye, by pitching towards shore and around docks. Caught 20- 25 walleye, and maybe 3-4 bass during those 8 hrs we were on Quinte. Couldn't believe, when we were pulling them out from under docks.

banner ad