Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:50 pm 
Walleye

Was listening to fan 590 radio outdoor show few wks back and they raved about this, went into sail today and the guys in the hunting area said it works great

some info here ,Im thinking of trying it and its not that costly just wondering if anyone has tried it

http://www.thermacell.com/how-it-works

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:42 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Best thing ever as far as i think. Biggest thing is letting it heat up good that's when it really starts to work well. You will literally see a barrier that they don't come In. There is the odd one. But definitely worth the money

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:14 pm 
Walleye

I'm wary of gadgets claiming to repel mosquitos (more likely to attrach your $) and would suggest to read reviews of this product before buying, but keep in mind that there are many shills (insiders posting overly positive reviews). A few bits of info I've found:
- ThermaCell appliance is a miniature insecticide 'fogger' without the fog, you'll breath in a bit of the repellent And, it does say in the directions not to use this product in an enclosed space
-ThermaCELL doesn't work well in windy conditions. Its place is in calm environments made miserable by flying parasites/'grazers
- actually a heat-release vaporizer dispensing the insecticide Allethrin. That is a synthetic pyrethrin-type insecticide which scrambles nerve signals in insects--causing them to fall down twitching and not bite you. The package has numerous warnings such as "do not contaminate water, food or feed" (thus keep all foods covered - not good for picnics or outdoor dining!), "harmful if inhaled", and "do not breathe vapors" (good luck avoiding THAT around a vaporizer appliance!) The package also states that the insecticide is toxic to fish and other aquatic life The pyrethrin-type insecticides are highly toxic to cats (I wonder about dogs)

FYI...

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:12 pm 
Walleye

Worth their weight in gold. And before we get any raised eyebrows, no I don't sell them. I have sat in the swamps in the spring turkey hunting or bear hunting and they are your only saving grace from the onslaught of mosquitoes and black flies. They work well in the boat for the stable flies also so long as there isn't too much wind. But honestly, when there is a nice breeze, mosquitoes aren't usually a problem.

As for the toxicity of the vapors, I am sure it isn't the best for you but sniffing in Deep Woods while applying I bet is more harmful than the repellent used here.

teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Show him a fishing show, bore him to death...

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:23 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

X 2 for worth their weight in gold. They absolutely work if the winds are right , but as red said, with enough winds bugs aren't an issue anyway. Health wise, I know nothing about. I own three and they are absolutely amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:15 pm 
Perch

x 3 on the worth their weight in gold...works awesome

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:56 pm 
Walleye

Yep , I have been using them for years now. I have three of them so that when I go out camping and the wife stays home she can still use it in the garden. You don't want to use them inside , but if you put it outside of your tent it keeps the skeeters away when you are setting up so that you don't have a hundred biting you in your sleep ( I don't leave it on all night, just when setting up ). The canisters seem to run out before the pads do. Enough ranting, worth their weight in gold.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:10 am 
Walleye Angler

These things work great. They last fairly long but do get hot so keep them away from little fingers..

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:37 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I've had one for years and love it

banner ad
banner ad