banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:18 am 
Walleye

Fellas...I have never paid attention to Moon Phases as it relates to best fishing times and I have a Fishing partner that swears by it! As a matter of fact books his fishing vacations around it and he is trying to convince me it really works.

It may be why my lures/baits are the cleanest amongst all tackle boxes! :wink:

Curious to hear some feedback, do you use it, successful or is it right up there with the Ouija Board?

Should be some interesting commentary I suspect!

Steve
WalleyeWon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:48 am 
Walleye Master

Tomorrow is full moon and according to the Lunar calendar should be one of the best days this month to fish. Should be decent into the weekend according to it. I may be going out tomorrow so I should be able to limit out by noon....lol
All kidding aside, I try to follow it when possible, but I've never noticed any difference. I think changes in the weather play a more significant role.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:24 am 
Walleye Fry

I think there are correlations that help but sometimes weather conditions are more important in how active the fish will be. I think there is a whole book on the topic. A lot of it is about the moon position triggering fish activity periods.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:47 am 
Walleye Master

I actually have more faith in the "Cow Theory" more than anything else.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:48 pm 
Walleye Angler

Im out fishing the narrows everyday I've been keeping an eye on the moon and haven't really noticed anything spectacular lol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:54 pm 
Walleye Angler

Been trolling around since 600 just came in now its almost 10 moons pretty big n bright nothing but a couple
mosquito bites lol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:57 pm 
Guppy

I do swear by the solar lunar timetables, but obviously weather and any other variables will come into play too.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:22 am 
Walleye Angler

I have 3 soulnar apps on my phone all are slightly different each giving more or less power to moon age and positioning. Even if the moon told every fish in the lake it had to eat at 1 pm, if your not where the fish are you won't catch them. For years I kept a log of over 1000 muskie catches and did find increased catches ( inches per rod hour ) on the new moon period. The full moon did not show the results i thought it would even tho I have caught some great fish around the full moon.Being retired I don't get vacations but if I was planning one I would avoid the added fishing pressure created by the full moon period. The best time to fish is whenever you can tomorrow may not come. In over 50 years of fishing all my fish have come on days ending with "Y"

Fish the last 2 hours of daylight every chance you get

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:04 am 
Walleye

Good Feedback and Horsehunter I like your theories especially the one "fish whenever you can, tomorrow may not come"! I don't think I ever recall fishing on a day that didn't end in a "Y"...snowy, windy, rainy, shitty!!

Walleye 9 your "Cow Theory" begs the question? I knew about the laying in the fields brings rain theory and when I was a young brazen lad a go at alcohol induced "Cow Tipping" didn't go so well for me. :oops:

Steve
WalleyeWon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:22 am 
Walleye Master

The Cow Theory....while on your way in the morning driving to the launch, look at the fields as you drive by. If the cows are standing up and eating the fishing should be good. If they are laying down, forget it. Don't even bother putting the boat in the water. (unless of course this is the only day of the week you can get out)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:34 am 
Walleye

Now there is a theory very easily tested by all, just need to observe Cows...I would have thought the other way around! I will affectionately refer to this as the Walleye 9 theory from the Quinte Fishing forum in my future adventures. And I am sure whoever is following will also pay it some attention...thanks for sharing.

Sloopy...this must be the "other" variables you reference?

Steve
WalleyeWon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:07 am 
Walleye Angler

My gold fish are ready to eat whenever someone approaches them and the squirrels and blackbird attacks on my bird feeder don't seem to be moon influenced.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:23 am 
Walleye Master

WalleyeWon wrote:
Now there is a theory very easily tested by all, just need to observe Cows...I would have thought the other way around! I will affectionately refer to this as the Walleye 9 theory from the Quinte Fishing forum in my future adventures. And I am sure whoever is following will also pay it some attention...thanks for sharing.

Sloopy...this must be the "other" variables you reference?

Steve
WalleyeWon

It's not really my theory, but if it works, I'll take credit for it... :D The only problem with the cow theory is that it is impossible to predict. Hopefully one day I'll be able to get out on a day when the cows are standing up and it's a full/new moon... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:17 pm 
Walleye Master

Well, I put both theories to the test today. It was full moon last night and the cows were eating like mad on the way to the launch. 2 of us fished for walleye on Rice Lake for 6 hours, and not even a sniff. Full out Skunk!!!! I guess that's why they're called theories.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:51 pm 
Guppy

I will now be checking the status of the cows prior to fishing...

(Can't hurt)