Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Sea Sickness
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:48 am 
Jumbo Perch

Sea Sickness - the curse - one of my sons gets sea sickness whenever we go out fishing on Lake O and the waves are even just a little - I was wondering if this is something that one can get over if they go often enough and get used to it - he tried just about everything before going but nothing seems to help - will go without eating and it still doesn't work - some of you guys are out there all the time and never get sick - what is the secret

Post subject: Re: Sea Sickness
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:33 am 
Walleye Master

Not an easy task. When someone is predisposed to sea sickness you can't do a ton to combat it....but there are a few tricks I have learned over the years. I get very bad sea sickness. .. yes...with the amount of time I spend on big water lol.

First off, no tying knots or looking down. Keep your head up. It is best to stay within eye sight of shore this way your son can focus on a fixed object.

Keep your son standing...let his knees obsorb the waves....sitting down is bad. Dont turn your back to the front. Keep facing forward.

Stay cool...sea sickness is worse when the body heats up.

And if taking motion sickness pills etc take the night before and again the morning of.

Remember if your son starts to feel bad it likely won't end until he is back on land....so just go in.

Hope this helps....

Signed a fellow chummer.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:34 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Same here I tried motion pills,patch be hide the ear,wrist band ,nothing helped,sick every day I went out unless it was flat calm. Doesn't bother me on any inland lake just lake ontario,finally sold my 24ft boat and all salmon gear.This was back in 85.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:32 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Yep...I have thousands of hours on the great lakes and still get it now and then...take Gravol (and it isn't the drowsy thing everybody thinks it is) the night before and then 1 before you go out...I just got back from fishing the Central Coast of BC for salmon and was worried about getting sick I did take some Gravol the 1st day but we were not in anything rougher than Lake Ontario or Erie so i didn't need anymore. There were a ton of guys wearing the Scopolamine patch at the lodge and they were highly reccomended. My doctor says its an inner ear thing but for me sometimes the fumes do it so i troll downwind...good luck

www.limestonecityfishingcharters.com
YouTube Jim Lyon Fishing

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:42 pm 
Walleye Angler

Be aware of where your exhaust is, back in the day when everybody was running v8 smoggers I'd say 90% of seasickness was carbon monoxide poisoning. Do not run directly with the wind.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:46 am 
Walleye

Some good points above. While I have never been afflicted with this curse, one of my close buddies frequently has a problem and has found that ginger candies, or ginger cookies, as well as previously mentioned gravol helps him.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:10 am 
Walleye

One more tip. Watch what you eat. An empty stomach is not good. A good thing to eat is dry, unsalted soda crackers and I have heard that dry, unbuttered toast is good too. Bad things are hangovers, big greasy breakfasts and acidic drinks like orange juice.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:26 pm 
Site Admin

When my wife and I were in Cuba on a catamaran charter the capt saw one lady who was getting seasick and she was heading below deck to vomit in the washroom. Captain stopped her told her going below deck is the worst thing to do. He told he was going to stop the boat and she should jump in to the water and swim for a few moments and the seasickness would pass. She did and it worked immediately, she was pretty impressed and thankful. Not something that is always possible but worth a shot if the conditions are right

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:19 pm 
Walleye

DanElliot wrote:
When my wife and I were in Cuba on a catamaran charter the capt saw one lady who was getting seasick and she was heading below deck to vomit in the washroom. Captain stopped her told her going below deck is the worst thing to do. He told he was going to stop the boat and she should jump in to the water and swim for a few moments and the seasickness would pass. She did and it worked immediately, she was pretty impressed and thankful. Not something that is always possible but worth a shot if the conditions are right

This is the only for sure cure I know of as well. Jump in the water and it goes away almost right away.

Other than that, eyes on the horizon....always. Don't be looking down, and don't ever go inside the cuddy or cabin.

I have never actually been seasick, but I have felt the effects a couple times and managed to fight it off by watching the horizon and standing up. Driving the boat also helps me sometimes....just keeping a course, or heading for a landmark on the horizon seems to make it go away for me.

S.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:48 pm 
Walleye Angler

I'm sad to see I'm not the only one who suffers, but I feel your pain also.

Roller coasters and ferris wheels have always been a terrible experience for me, so I'm one of those people who get sea sick as well. It can be a curse for sure.

I spend a lot of time on the ocean and never go out without using scopalomine, the patch behind the ear, and it works very well for me. Even on calm days. I take no risks. Chumming sucks big time and can ruin a whole trip. Don't want to jump in cause it's cold.

Don't know about the swimming thing cause I still remember barfing through my regulator 40 feet down.

The last time I bought scopalomine (Transversol), the pharmacist recommended the ginger preparation substitute for Gravol, but I was too chicken to risk using it. She said it was effective. Might be worth a try for your son.

Otherwise, all the above mentioned tips seem wise. I should try them too.

Maple

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:38 am 
Walleye

there is a chewable gravol with ginger,,but the US version dramamine is what alot of ppl. take,I grew up on charter and commercial boats in south Fla., we used to recommend a product called bonine to ppl. it makes them less drowsy. and imo is more effective than dramamine/gravol. I also agree that the engine exhaust will bring on seasickness in ppl. that normally are ok with the rough seas. I never had seasickness,but we all are subject to a good chumming session, when the combination of diesel fumes,alcohol hangover, and some good 10-12 footers toss you around. :lol:

banner ad