Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Dick Move
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:04 pm 
Walleye Catcher

I'm struggling with this one. So...My buddy is out trolling the other night and he is following a route he has been on for a couple of passes, he notices a boat off to his side and suddenly the boat cuts in right at him. He tried to evade but their boards got tangled and the 4 "gentlemen" in the other boat start swearing at him and giving him the finger while claiming that he cut them off...they then proceeded to cut his lines and take his lures and board...DICK MOVE for sure. My buddy is a pretty good boater and not an aggressive guy so i take him at his word. The other boat proceeds to move away with his stuff. He has the boat numbers and a full description off the boat (white fiberglass,blue canvas top with a Honda kicker and either a Honda or Yamaha main)and i told him to contact the OPP marine squad and report it as a theft...what would you do? no doubt the guy will be there again.

www.limestonecityfishingcharters.com
YouTube Jim Lyon Fishing

Post subject: Re: Dick Move
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:38 pm 
Perch

Would have pulled up close to him, got his registration and took a picture and ask for all damages. If I got more of the same I would have dropped my balls and cleaned off everything he had!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:45 pm 
Walleye Angler

Idk now a days don't really know who your dealing with, if he's got all the info boat description n #'s etc they took his stuff he should have just called the cops .... where did this happen??

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:55 am 
Walleye Catcher

This *** happens all the time .with the phones we have now days i would have got a picture of the ass holes its not like the old day when you just follow them in and take your stuff back and teach them a lesson .I my self always fish with my buddy Billy bat just for this reason :evil: :evil: :evil:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:02 am 
Walleye Angler

"I have right of way because I've been going in this direction for a long time." Haven't heard that one for a while.

The meaningless sufferance to following a route hints that your bud may not know the collision regs. and may have been a little bit in the wrong. Coarse change in close puts the other guys in the wrong so both should cut up their boater card and start over.

Still no reason to take his stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:56 pm 
Walleye Master

polliwogg wrote:
"I have right of way because I've been going in this direction for a long time." Haven't heard that one for a while.

The meaningless sufferance to following a route hints that your bud may not know the collision regs. and may have been a little bit in the wrong. Coarse change in close puts the other guys in the wrong so both should cut up their boater card and start over.

Still no reason to take his stuff.

Yep pretty sure this is why they require navigation lights on a boat operating at night if this happened in the darkness. they could both be wrong when it comes to boating but taking another guys gear is theft and chargeable offence regardless of what happened with the boats.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:45 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Well it wasn't dark so no Nav lights...As i said, he had made 3 or 4 passes and this other boat came out of nowhere....wasn't a case where they were both trolling the same route,

www.limestonecityfishingcharters.com
YouTube Jim Lyon Fishing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:19 pm 
Walleye

Jim, if the DICK was approaching from the starboard side, he had the right of way regardless if your friend had been on the same trail multiple times. Your friend, in that scenario, should have turned off and given way.
Still no reason to be a Dick and take everything.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:17 am 
Baitfish

Two wrongs never make it right boys. Goda lead by example!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:53 am 
Walleye Angler

Whenever someone complains to me about the other guy 90% of the time the complainant is not guilt free. The collision regs are written in such a way that no one has a "right of way" but they all do have the obligation to give way at some point. You see the term right of way in some publications because transport ca. is more car guys than boat guys, I don't think the term right of way is in the collision regs. As one of our instructors used to say, way is given , never taken.

In this case if DICK was the stand on vessel he failed to maintain his coarse,made a last minute coarse change that caused a problem. Every vessel has an obligation to avoid collision.

As this was not an exchange of paint I would suggest that both misjudged distance between their boards or they were playing plainer board chicken....all they had to do was reel some line in. Or they weren't paying attention.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:19 pm 
Walleye

Of course it is each operators obligation to avoid a collision. However, after said collision, the police will more than likely dissect the accident and lay charges. Then the lawyers will fight it out to determine who had "the right of way"
This has been the way of maritime law for centuries.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:28 pm 
Baitfish

I find it interesting that most of the posts have been about who was at fault for the tangle and yet only one post on the fact that they cut and stole his equipment. Not trying to cause a stir but what kind of A-hole cuts and steals another guys tackle. Accidents happen, its obvious the four in the boat thought they had right of way .It still does not give them the right to cut and steal his tackle.
I am curious to hear what happens.