Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:30 am 
Goby

My buddy and I are from Cicero, NY and really enjoy catching walleyes on the Bay of Quinte. Can you tell me if the walleyes are in the bay at the present time. And if not, when would be the best time to catch the fall run.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:35 pm 
Walleye Master

There are walleye in the Bay all year long. (resident fish) If you are talking about the migrating walleye (the Big ones) from Lake Ontario then you would probably have to wait till sometime in November at least till they enter the Bay. People will start fishing for the trophy fish usually sometime in October east of the Glenora ferry towards Lake Ontario.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:37 pm 
Baitfish

Walleye 9 wrote:
There are walleye in the Bay all year long. (resident fish) If you are talking about the migrating walleye (the Big ones) from Lake Ontario then you would probably have to wait till sometime in November at least till they enter the Bay. People will start fishing for the trophy fish usually sometime in October east of the Glenora ferry towards Lake Ontario.

I've always wondered why the big walleyes from Lake Ontario enter the BoQ in the fall. Do they spend the winter in the bay, spawn in spring and them leave for bigger waters? Is this just the walleye or the trout and salmon too.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:30 am 
Walleye Angler

The eyes enter the bay for an early spring spawn in a number of the rivers that enter into the bay such as the Salmon, Moira, Trent. They can usually be found cruising around certain areas until ice out, head to the rivers towards end of winter, spawn in the rivers and around shoals, etc. then after the spawn make their way back out to the lake. There is a steady resident population year round in the bay though as others mentioned.

"I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation"

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:00 pm 
Baitfish

Swiftdeer wrote:
The eyes enter the bay for an early spring spawn in a number of the rivers that enter into the bay such as the Salmon, Moira, Trent. They can usually be found cruising around certain areas until ice out, head to the rivers towards end of winter, spawn in the rivers and around shoals, etc. then after the spawn make their way back out to the lake. There is a steady resident population year round in the bay though as others mentioned.

Thanks for the explanation. Years ago I was talking to someone at Bayview who told me that the MNR actually has a mechanism that counts the walleye. He mentioned that they do this in the spring in the rivers. He told me they've seen, in whatever contraption this counter is, walleye that were upwards of 25lbs.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:12 am 
Walleye Angler

I've never heard of the ministry using a contraption to count walleye. Salmon however, there is a neat gadget/fish counter set up down in the port hope area. Walleye however, are usually manually counted as they don't always enter river systems and counters like the one in port hope require an area that can be controlled to set it up. I've been out many nights counting eyes in spawning areas- quite something to see especially when they are there in large numbers.

"I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation"

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:10 pm 
Goby

Leaving for the BOQ tomorrow for a couple days. Just checking to see if anyone is having any luck.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:24 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

The big girls are around, check my last post for some info.

David aka Superdad

banner ad
banner ad