Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: LeBaron - a Real Shocker
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:59 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Just heard after calling the Ottawa store that all their stores are closing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a shock, guess the competition from Cabelas and Sail and BSP caught up.

David aka Superdad

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:47 pm 
Walleye

That explains it, I tried looking at their website looking for fall sales, couldn't log in, sad to see them go.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:44 pm 
Perch

Disappointing to say the least...They should have got into the computer age years ago and had online ordering and inventory.

Rumour has it, the owner refused to go computerized. Was there today in Ottawa, just a plain cash register, no itemizing etc. It may not be the
only reason for the downfall, but I'm sure it didn't help.

BTW...20% off all fishing and hunting items(including guns) 10% off ammo 50% off some clothing and 20% on others. There was still a good selection of fishing gear.

I imagine the discount will increase as the days go by.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:36 pm 
Walleye Angler

Can't say I'm surprised or disappointed for that matter. They screwed me over a few times over the years. The last one was the last straw when I called to see if they had a waders and boots in my size. They told me they did so I headed up. Hit some traffic issues on the way so I called and was told they closed at six so I thought I was good. showed up at 5:50 to find doors locked and the ignore button on when I tapped on the window. Not what I would call good customer service! Carmas a bitch!

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:38 pm 
Walleye

jignpigman wrote:
Can't say I'm surprised or disappointed for that matter. They screwed me over a few times over the years. The last one was the last straw when I called to see if they had a waders and boots in my size. They told me they did so I headed up. Hit some traffic issues on the way so I called and was told they closed at six so I thought I was good. showed up at 5:50 to find doors locked and the ignore button on when I tapped on the window. Not what I would call good customer service! Carmas a bitch!

While I had always experienced good (never great) service there, this issue of customer service seems to be coming up in most of the converations about LeBaron closing that I have been involved with. From what I have heard, the Mississauga store had hideous service and some folks named names or descibed the same few people in multiple stories. It can't be that management didn't know because multiple people report having gone up the chain of command to voice their concerns. Perhaps they didn't go high enough?

While I think this is a loss to the outdoors store landscape, a landscape that will now be dominated by the big guys, it is an oportunity for new or existing smaller retailers to fill that service or specialty merchandize market. It won't be easy, but good service is an important part of the outdoors goods sales and marketing.

"(B)e wary of discarding the ancient system where we all have the right to make our own decisions for one in which we all have the right to make each others, in the hope of finding true human fulfillment through “positive” rights to other people’s money and applause?"

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:54 pm 
Baitfish

Le Baron brings back a ton of memories. I remember my father taking me to the boul. St-Laurent location in Montreal as a little kid. I guess it's not easy competing with CDN Tire, Walmart, Sail...

banner ad