Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Strange question
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:36 am 
Walleye Angler

I am heading up north trout fishing,taking a pontoon style kick boat...........been out in coldish water numerous times,but hearing temps may get down at least one night to 1C............SO HEARS THE STRANGE QUESTION......is wearing neoprene chest waders on the water a bad idea?....Is it a myth they will fill up with water and take you to the bottom?....any one ever test this concept?

Post subject: Re: Strange question
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:59 am 
Walleye

I believe the neoprene itself is slightly buoyant or has near neutral buoyancy so the waders wouldn't drag you down. However if you are actually in a situation where you are trying to swim they would exert so much drag that you could hardly move. Further very cold water can make you lose control of both your muscles and your breathing. If you are in a float tube in deep cold water then you should be wearing a PFD.
If you are gonna be on or near cold water check the following site (Dr. popsicle on youtube)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gOW8ZaYqHA

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:08 am 
Walleye Angler

pdubya wrote:
I believe the neoprene itself is slightly buoyant or has near neutral buoyancy so the waders wouldn't drag you down. However if you are actually in a situation where you are trying to swim they would exert so much drag that you could hardly move. Further very cold water can make you lose control of both your muscles and your breathing. If you are in a float tube in deep cold water then you should be wearing a PFD.
If you are gonna be on or near cold water check the following site (Dr. popsicle on youtube)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gOW8ZaYqHA

"I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation"

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:15 am 
Walleye Angler

Oops well that didn't work quite as well as I had planned. What I meant to say was yes neoprene is buoyant. Wetsuits for diving are made from neoprene and when we dive, we have to offset that buoyancy with extra weight to help us sink. In addition to keep in mind that while the air temperatures may drop, the water generally retains heat longer than the surrounding land as it has all summer to warm up. So, with neoprene waders you should be good depending on thickness. Course depends on how far north you are going. :-)

"I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation"

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:44 am 
Walleye Angler

OPP told me when they found bodies with waders on they were standing on the bottom. Try it in shallow water then you'll know, but make sure you have a pfc UNDER the waders so you can slip out of them and some guys there to pull you out. Last fall S+R pulled a guy out of the Trent had waders on and couldn't move. Imagine you can google all kinds of horror stories.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:47 am 
Walleye Angler

Neoprene waders float. Wear a belt with them. The accounts of anglers drowning with waders are a result of wading in current areas. Current pulls the waders accross , not down, and angler cannot breath.
The OPP would be miss informed. Waders, even filled with water, will not sink.

Bob

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:44 am 
Walleye Angler

waders fill with water when submerged obviously but its an urban legend to say they fill with water and make you sink. Think about it, the water on the outside of the wader is the same weight as the water on the inside of your waders they offset each other. now once you leave the water whether stumbling on to shore or trying to pull yourself into a boat, that when you will feel the water inside the wader because its now surrounded by air which is much less dense than the water. I have been in the water with waders and it is awkward to swim with them but thats just because its awkward to swim with boots and extra layers of clothes compared to a bathing suit.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:58 am 
Walleye Angler

Agreed with the rest and have worn neoprenes in many places, many times including in U Boats, pontoons, etc. Wear a wading belt, and consider an inflateable PFD, is what a lot of folks in some areas do. Also, consider having a pealess whistle with you, as a safety measure and a sharp knife if you did have to get out of something in a hurry.

In your pack, some people have a patch kit. This is the one thing I have never bothered with but can see the logic.

Have fun.

Napanee

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:56 am 
Walleye Angler

Thankyou all for the helpful replies. Took the waders as a backup,but braved the chilly waters with fins on ,wasn't bad.Some lakes,one in particular seemed a lot colder ,so I used oars and winter boots to stay dry.Caught a lot of trout,just nothing really big, but had a great week none the less. Back in the spring to try it again!

Napanee.....I do take a patch kit,and a tube or two of shoe goop(FOR THE KICK BOAT)....pulled the stopper out once to fill er up and tore the area right off...huge hole.....GOOPED and patched it up, LIKE CRAZY...next morning ,good to go,still goin strong!

banner ad
banner ad