Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: REALLY!!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:08 pm 
Guppy

My first time posting a topic on the formula but I have been reading all your posts for years.
I just wanted to put something out there that really bothered me today. I am a very active fisherman/hunter as many of you guys/ladies are. Took my son for an outing this morning on BOQ and had a small spread of decoys out. First hour of the hunt was quiet/beautiful morning and I looked to my left and a bass boat came into view and putter around with their trolling motor down and hung around. My son and I stood there in disbelief that they were actually doing this. (35') from our spread and completely ignored us. No, we didn't say a word to them. We were just saying when we go fishing we respect the next door person to not fish right on their noses, and one would think would be the same with a small group of decoys and a hunter on that big BOQ that one couldn't leave that spot alone with respect and let them enjoy their sport, even if one is against hunting!!

Post subject: Re: REALLY!!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:29 am 
Perch

Jelly you've got more patience then I have. I understand that the boat can be there but that was so disrespectful that it was downright ignorant.

I would have been direct in speaking with them to let them know that obviously they 'don't know that they don't know' or as Forest Gump said....'stupid is as stupid does' and please move.

Next time fire up your engine and start running around the boat. maybe they'll get the picture.

Hats off to you for showing your son that you are indeed an adult but at a certain point I would deal with it.

P.S Consider taking a good picture the next time to post and share how ignorant some people can be.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:31 am 
Walleye Angler

Not sure if there are any laws out there regarding this. I know it's illegal to interfere with a lawful hunt but it's also illegal to interfere with a lawful angling opportunity. If I'm out there fishing and I see a spread of decoys, I head the other way and provide 300 m clearance minium. It's just common sense.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:11 am 
Walleye

Who brings a fishing rod to a gun fight??

20 Honda Kicker
TR1 Gold with iTroll Throttle Command
Fish Hawk X4
23 Ft. Sulvan Great lakes rigged
18 Ft centre consol Starcraft
Great lake Salmon Rigged
and a canoe

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:15 am 
Walleye Master

Sounds like they didn't see you. people often leave these spreads out, unattended.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:36 pm 
Minnow

Unfortunate, but I agree with fireball. I'm guilty of unintentionally doing this once. Was fishing out on Moira when a few hunters popped up and started unloading on some geese. We were so focused with casting and hooking into a muskie that we weren't paying attention to much of anything else, let alone camouflaged hunters in the brush on the shore, until they actually started shooting at some birds. We quickly got out of their area right after. Best thing to have done was probably just let them know you were there hunting and I'm sure they would have moved on.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:08 pm 
Walleye Fry

I was out trolling on the Ottawa for musky last weekend and my son had to point out a small decoy spread up ahead not too far away. I immediately turned away but we got a little too close. The hunters were cool about it but we didn't see them till the last minute.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:09 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Glad to hear patience being taught to the young lad, too bad they crowded you...but I will echo others in saying I've accidentally done this too. It can be hard to see camo'd hunters and as soon as I figured it out I took off. Did you get any birds?

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:46 am 
Guppy

Thanks for your feed backs, and it did happen again but not as close. This time I was about to say something but a lone goose came along and I finally bagged one! Next thing I know the boat decided it was better off else where for some reason! I was taking your hints that possible they didn't realize it was a fake spread.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:18 pm 
Guppy

My two cents worth. If you tell the people that you are hunting and that they need to move away to a safe zone and they do not they ARE breaking the law. It is called interfering with lawful hunting and is a chargeable offence. I have heard of a conviction for this offence in the Windsor area where I am originally from. The anti hunters parked their boat in the area so he could not shoot. So he took his cellphone out took pictures and then called OPP and MNR. Needless to say you have to do things the proper way, video it, warn them on video, get numbers off boat and pictures of them and call the authorities.

banner ad
banner ad