Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:19 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Wow....

I just got back from there last week. Did a canoe trip into the jungle, walked into the jungle. mingled and drank too much beer with the locals...
Ended up meeting some new friends that i have stayed in contact with after i got back. Of course did a lot of fishing. I was already planing next years trip.

Watching the news now...
https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/tropical-storm-hurricane-otto-caribbean-central-america-forecast

Thinking i was just there.... I stayed in Tortuguero with a population of maybe 1200 people. Tourist go there mainly to watch sea Turtles and visit the jungle which is the same as the Amazon. I was there a week! fish 5 times...the locals new us as " the Fisherman's" The experience of seeing their culture was very interesting and learning how they live there in shacks in a corrupt society with nothing that we take for granted. They have cell phones and tvs....no banks, no cars or roads. only boats and bicycles. Only stores are restaurants that offer rice and beans at every meal. Some nice lodges and 1 star hotels with a couple convenient stores is all that is there. So everyone drinks alot!! Great people...meet some new fishing friends that I hope are ok with this storm hitting them now. I am sure that the village is completely wiped out....most homes were built of termite infested wood with tin roofs.

This whole experience was a trip of a lifetime for my friend and i. Basically a third world country that i would love to go back to visit and fish again.

As for the fishing...its incredible!! World class Tarpon fishing all year long. Key west florida is basically only may and June. with maybe 150lb fish. East coast of Costa Rica has Tarpon over 200lbs anytime. We found out!

We caught a 200lber that was just over 6 feet long that took 3 hours to reel in. The fight was a rush spooling 100's of yards 15 times after we get the fish near the boat. It was a complete arm wrestle.
We also did some night fishing for tarpon. I had on a 150lber ish.....after spooling a 7000 series reel almost completely of 100lb. Power Pro. it ended up chewing through the 100lb. Fl. Leader that was on the Rapala shad rap. (next time....i need some Huskie Musky leaders with me).

We ended up catching a a 3 Tarpons, losing a few others...went after Snook with no luck, caught Jack carvelle, went after Barracuda with no luck but seen them.

But the Tarpon is the Silver King! I enjoy fishing around the world. In the past I have caught 600lb. plus Pacific Blue Marlin in Hawaii over 12 feet long, I have caught 200lb. plus Sturgeon in the Frasier River...nothing is like a Tarpon!

For anyone even interested in Tarpon fishing....go for it! you will never forget the rush and the experience specially if you go off the grid and visit Tortuguero Costa Rica. (if its still there) .

I am sharing some photos....Obviously with this hurricane going through now....these places will never be the same.

Praying that the people down there are safe....and I hope to be going back soon.

What an experience...I am glade i have done. If anyone every wants some info on this....contact me.

Stacy
Pro Tackle

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

(2 Km north of Hwy #401 up Hwy #37)

Specializing in Musky, Walleye, Bass and Pike tackle
Fishing Charters

Local phone: 613-968-4111
Toll Free:1-888-442-7456

Check our online Catalog at www.protacklefishing.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:20 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Not sure why the pictures are so big. They were resized. Sorry guys

Stacy

Fishing Charters

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:33 pm 
Walleye

Cause they're big fish Stacy..... :lol:

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:23 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Stacy

Fishing with Wayne - good job on the tarpon, talking with someone last week about those fish in the 200lb class and that's a LOT OF WORK!!!!!!!

Always happy to see fishing in other areas.

David aka Superdad

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:42 am 
Walleye

Just curious what you do with a 200lb dead tarpon, do you feed the whole town? Sure does look like the trip of a lifetime thanks for sharing.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:39 am 
Walleye Catcher

ldub wrote:
Just curious what you do with a 200lb dead tarpon, do you feed the whole town? Sure does look like the trip of a lifetime thanks for sharing.

Unfortunately the tarpon did die. It could not handle the 3 hour fight. We ended up taking it into the village for the village to enjoy. Everyday after the villagers were constantly thanking us calling us "the fishermans". It would a great feeling knowing that fish did not get wasted.

Here is a picture of tarpon soup. It tasted as good as it looks. I ate it.....dont recommend!!

Stacy

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fishing Charters

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:15 am 
Goby

Nice! I've been to Costa Rica about 15 times, but always to the southwestern part (Osa Peninsula). Down there it is mostly offshore fishing (Mahi, sailfish, marlin, etc).

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:46 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Tortuguero is the place to go for tarpon in Costa Rica,....There and north towards Nicaragua

Stacy
pro tackle

Fishing Charters

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:36 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Great report and photos. Awesome fish!!! We will be in Costa Rica Dec 28th to Jan 5th, starting in central part of the country then heading to the Pacific coast. It is a family trip but I have one day reserved for offshore fishing on the Pacific for sailfin and mahi.

JimW

Smiths Falls DCI Redhawks Fishing Team Coach

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:19 pm 
Walleye Angler

Stacy. The hurricane did more damage in the north eastern region of Costa Rica, where it was not supposed to inflict damage, so the residents were caught off-guard. San Hose and the NW were subject mostly to heavy rain. As usual, it's mostly the poorer structures that were mostly damaged.

Jim. Savour some mahi mahi for me will ya.

Maple

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:00 pm 
Walleye Catcher

The hurricane hit about about 20 miles north at the border of Nicaragua. The buildings in tortuguero are poorly made. The village survived it. our chicken coops are built better then some of their homes

I have talked to my new friends down there, everyone survived it. They are fishing again.

Good luck Jim. It's a very interesting country to visit.

Stacy
pro tackle

Fishing Charters

banner ad
banner ad