Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: the walleye bite is off?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:19 am 
Walleye Master

saw a lot of guys out with all this nice cold weather we are having ice is locked up pretty good. still thin in a lot of areas but solid is good lol what I gather from friends is west end had a small bite window.. I myself found it very tough lots of perch but walleye seem to be off the bite. is it me or did others find this to be true as well......... its time to brag guys lol don't give up a spot but do the fish seem off ? did you catch one? did you catch a few? and any big fish caught? is it an Am bite, pm bite. mid day bite?. others could be helped here. what worked slow presentation ? did you rip the lures? how was the picture? did you miss many? did you mark a lot or just a few? did they like gold? silver? hot pink or purple? I know a lot of out of towers are itching to get out we have all been waiting for good ice . but really what good is good ice when the fish are not biting? lol again don't give up an area just some input on how the fish are acting up and down the bay .

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:30 am 
Walleye Angler

Been fishing off big island last couple days , nothing but perch. Couple other guys and myself. Tried everything slow fast big and small baits minnow heads / full bodies. Notta nothing. Was out yesterday mid day then went back at the end of the day 3-6 goin back out this morning. .

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:57 am 
Walleye Wisdom

My son and buddy was out yesterday morning they got 1 but the two guys beside them got 8.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:05 am 
Walleye Fingerling

Last year the bite was funny/difficult early. Short windows and very neutral fish. Large numbers of small perch this year may make bit very difficult.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:16 am 
Walleye Master

that's what I'm talking about boys this input is very helpful to others in Wayne's case it shows for one there is fish in some areas, and also shows with the right technique the fish are taking seems they have unlocked the secret at least in this area. it also tells me that its always a numbers game if you are in a high numbers area you will find some success . if you are in a low fish area technique is even more important. that and a degree of luck .
. just a little side note.... I fished sun up to sun down yesterday in two different areas and in contact with 7 guys mostly all fishing different areas and No, None, zippo walleyes other than one 9 incher was caught. and these guys know what they are doing, so take it for what its worth I believe fish are there just well fed, and in a transition period early ice bite is over and we missed it because no real ice except for the very brave.
There sure is a lot of small perch (Food) out there, big dinner one bite vipers being caught good if your hungry . be safe guys keep the input coming it helps others

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:35 am 
Walleye Catcher

The bite has been off slightly down the reach. Could be due to the shad being in. Have had and seen a few dead ones floating up my hole or frozen to the underside of the ice.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:56 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I'm with bigbassin there is an abundance of bait both shad and perch! The perch are enough to drive u nuts! Also marking a pile of bait on my flasher threw out the water column. We put a dozen eyes on the ice a couple weeks ago. They were stuffed with 5" shad. Now with that being said I've been catching all my fish on small baits. 10 or 14gram sebile vibrato in natural shiner was working for me. Haven't been back since the rain but I did well at Sherman's pt. and In the west end was real good to.

Last edited by pickerel killer on Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:58 am 
Walleye Wisdom

pickerel killer wrote:
I'm with bigbassin there is an abundance of bait both shad and perch! The perch are enough to drive u nuts! We put a dozen eyes on the ice a couple weeks ago. They were stuffed with 5" shad. Now with that being said I've been catching all my fish on small baits. 10 or 14gram sebile vibrato in natural shiner was working for me. Haven't been back since the rain but I did well at Sherman's pt. and In the west end was real good to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:02 am 
Walleye

I tried big bay, the other day. very few marks, lots of different techniques.
9"er caught in a school of perch (got 3 perch with it). Been catching a lot of these 2yr old walleye
Lots of colours, lures and minnows. Tried downsizing and upsizing.

Been out 6 times 4 "real" walleye between 1-6lbs so I think it's been tough fishing

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:03 am 
Walleye

pickerel killer wrote:
pickerel killer wrote:
I'm with bigbassin there is an abundance of bait both shad and perch! The perch are enough to drive u nuts! We put a dozen eyes on the ice a couple weeks ago. They were stuffed with 5" shad. Now with that being said I've been catching all my fish on small baits. 10 or 14gram sebile vibrato in natural shiner was working for me. Haven't been back since the rain but I did well at Sherman's pt. and In the west end was real good to.

Take me with you next time you go!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:20 am 
Walleye Wisdom

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:25 am 
Perch

Great pics! Nice to see people are finally out and catching Some!

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:39 am 
Walleye

pickerel killer wrote:
pickerel killer wrote:

. Damn tin knockers catching all the fish, LOL. Nicely done.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:59 am 
Walleye Master

thanks for the input guys........ lots to be learned other than how is the ice lol ....... in my years fishing quinte I have learned a lot and in time have been able to see patters and make calls on my own. whats hard is guys with no connections, and little to go on but they too can learn and apply what they have learned when it matters most. read all you want it is no substitute to being out there first hand . I had a buddy call me and say he would be up today I told him to stay home lol but was that the right call ? maybe today they will come alive and be a blood bath lol I doubt it but it could happen . the guys who made a post I thank you and I'm sure many also thank you this board can be awesome . also a pain at times lol....... thank god we have some ice to enjoy. I saw a few crazy things yesterday while I was out and do worry sometimes.... respect the ice guys. keep the good vibe going......... this board can use some good times and good info shared by good guys

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:10 am 
Perch

i like your trump hat lol. the fish are nice too!

banner ad
banner ad