banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:48 pm 
Walleye Angler

Kinda like trying to get the house cat to play catch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:28 am 
Walleye

A good read Chuck:)
Last saturday was one of those tight lipped days.I salvaged my zero morning with a 10 oclock 6 pounder.I had jyst downsized my green glow big buckshot to a chrome and black small buckshot tipped with a whole minnow banging the rattles fairly hard.The fish came out of nowhere.Nice center of the yap hook set.My only suggestion is never stop doing at least something.ha ha.
Chuck your post just reminded me of a day we were out together.I was having a tough morning you peeked your head in my hut to help.I was jiggin a macho minnow you stopped me and said Terry after you do that lift and drop give it some time let glide back down and fall straight again.Im like oh ok...i gave a big lift let'er drop paused for the the glide and WAM... right in front of the teacher fish on lol...do you remember that...priceless :) little things like that do make a huge difference.
T

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:53 pm 
Walleye Master

Yep Terry. I do remember it lol funny your bro called me a few weeks back and asked if I remember him, and naturally I said of course I do lol ...

and yes that pause if often what seals the deal .......... I would suggest to anyone who thinks a jig is a jig should think again lol many jigs act differently and attention to that should be paid..... in fact its always good when trying out a new jig to drop it down the hole 6 or 8 foot and watch how it acts and reacts to what you do topside twitch it see what it does, snap it see what it does slow lift with a fast drop and see what it does this will help you get a pattern that will work when you figure out what mood the fish seem to be in you will then better understand what jig you want to use I have read here how people say they used every jig in there box.......there is a little more to it than just tossing on a different jig lol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:26 pm 
Baitfish

Another good tip. Probably the most successful change I ever made. Use mustard chemical sharp hooks these things are crazy sharp. They don't just go through some skin in a walleyed mouth. They go through the cartilage in mouth roof. With no effort. If the fish are light biters this Can make a difference.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:18 am 
Walleye Angler

I use the 'old man' technique. Just jig a few inches off bottom. Ignore the fish you mark, just keep jigging. When the lure falls to a rest you can every so slightly wiggle your rod tip then let it stay still. Don't jig too hard or too fast. Just nice and steady. And pull out your cell phone and look at Facebook or something, that distracts your mind and you stop trying so hard to 'make' the fish bite. Just ignore the fish and keep jigging, the usual cat and mouse game isn't always the best way to make them bite. With this technique the fish will bite when the lure is sitting there. You want it just off the bottom because the fish are not interested or aggressive enough to come up off bottom much so basically you are just bouncing the lure in their faces till the get aggravated enough to bite. 1/2 Oz to 3/4 Oz Champs, something heavy, works best. Just experiment with 1 to 3 minnows. 3 seems to work good with this technique.

banner ad