Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: ATV Recovery Companies
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:16 pm 
Walleye

Does anyone know of any ATV Recovery Companies in the area. Looking for a company that can retrieve an ATV from the bottom of the bay.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nathan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:00 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

The only underwater vehicle retrieval company I know of is Bartlett Towing and Underwater Salvage from North Bay.

If you have insurance contact them. There are stories that ATV's through the ice aren't covered. My Broker told me that unless it's specifically excluded, they are.

Failing that,

That's the kind of thing arranged by an Insurance Adjuster so I try one of them. There are private one's listed or maybe a referral through you auto insurance broker.

You may also try a local dive club. They may know someone who winter dives and has some experience.

Once you hook up the next biggest problem is lifting it through the ice without breaking through yourself.

I watched a truck recovery and they actually floated the vehicle under the ice with air bags until they reach safe ice about 100 yards from where the truck broke through. Then they had a portable derrick crane to lift the vehicle though the ice.

You won't need that for an ATV but it'll still be a challenge.

Good luck and be safe.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:35 pm 
Walleye Master

Ouch. Glad everyone is safe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:58 pm 
Walleye Angler

Maybe give the SAVE Unit with the OPP a call, they might know some local guys that could help out..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:31 pm 
Walleye Angler

Didn't McCaffery have a unit for doing that sort of recovery.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:59 am 
Guppy

Hopefully you don't have too much trouble recovering the atv.

Where abouts did it go through? I'm an out-of-towner, and would like to know in case I need to avoid that area. Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:13 am 
Site Admin

I don't have an ATV but always thought that with the air in the tires they wouldn't sink? Sorry to hear about this Nathan. In the interest of safety for those on machines out there, where did it go through?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:39 am 
Goby

Most of the ice should have been good to go for an ATV on Quinte except the obvious areas of Shermans Point ... but if you aren't an experienced fisherman you should check the board next time to be sure how safe the ice really is...

PM me anytime I will be happy to help someone breaking in to the sport.... good luck with the recovery though...

Remember... safety first!!! Just because its good enough to walk on doesn't mean its good enough to ride

Last edited by rippin'lips on Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: ATV Recovery Companies
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:57 am 
Walleye Master

rippin'lips wrote:
Most of the ice should have been good to go for an ATV on Quinte except the obvious areas of Shermans Point and Weese Road... but if you aren't an experienced fisherman you should check the board next time to be sure how safe the ice really is...

PM me anytime I will be happy to help someone breaking in to the sport.... good luck with the recovery though...

Remember... safety first!!! Just because its good enough to walk on doesn't mean its good enough to ride

I def wouldn't say most of the ice is safe. Here is sat shot from Monday. 1/2 of the bay was open water.

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:29 am 
Jumbo Perch

Won't it cost almost as much to retrieve the ATV as what it is worth? - and then is it any good from all the water getting into it - maybe best to let it there

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:33 am 
Walleye

You can't leave it there. If someone finds it and traces it back to the owner the enviromental fines will be far more than the recovery cost.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:30 pm 
Walleye Angler

rippin'lips wrote:
Most of the ice should have been good to go for an ATV on Quinte except the obvious areas of Shermans Point ... but if you aren't an experienced fisherman you should check the board next time to be sure how safe the ice really is...

I agree with Big Mac how can you say most of the ice should have been good to go except Sherman... is it me or are we getting people with only very few posts saying some very dumb things
Is this just a case of a few bad apples stirring the pot....Lotsofwalleye or rippinlips ... i know every year when it gets slow we seem to get this
I know it sucks .... the ice conditions ....lack of fishing ...but always thought this site was for fishing Info ...Beg and Brag ....maybe just some simple info ....dont have give away your secrets ....just share a little ...not for so much BS ....Hope in future we get better ice and get back to fishing because it is a better read than this BS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:52 pm 
Walleye Angler

I agree with red this site is good for people who actually use and appreciate the water and the fishery.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:08 pm 
Walleye

Would still be nice to know where he actually went thru, if an ATV went thru who's to say its not a crack that a person would go thru as well. the cold temps may have only put a skim on a 6ft wide crack that has 8" of ice on either side but only 1" where it's started to freeze over.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:26 am 
Walleye Angler

BigMac wrote:
rippin'lips wrote:
Most of the ice should have been good to go for an ATV on Quinte except the obvious areas of Shermans Point and Weese Road... but if you aren't an experienced fisherman you should check the board next time to be sure how safe the ice really is...

I def wouldn't say most of the ice is safe. Here is sat shot from Monday. 1/2 of the bay was open water.

Lol I second that. Most of quinte hasn't been safe to walk on