Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:30 pm 
Walleye

Recovered my ATV today from Onderdonks. Just a heads up, there is a 6'x8' hole about 1200 feet off of the $2 parking. I put some tree branches in it. Depth is 13 ft. When the ATV went down, there were other people around fishing as well as other atvs in the area. If anyone from the board was out there and seen this happen, I am ashamed of you guys. Not one person ran over to help out or ask if we were ok. Either way, doesn't matter now. Everyone is safe, and if I ever see it happen to anyone else, I would still be one of the first ones to respond.

Sorry if you guys feel that I should of posted where it went down (i.e. location and access point). When I started my other post about recovery companies, it amazed me how I had messages in my inbox asking me where it is and the exact location. Also had messages telling me not to post where it is because people will pull it out themselves. In the end, that would of probably saved my insurance company a small sum of money. Its unfortunate that we live in a society where you feel you cannot share this information because it might get stolen.

Now that you know, I would recommend using caution in the Onderdonks area. The ice has not grown at all from the south shore. The area where I went down is still only averaging 4-6" of ice. The ice itself is not strong ice. I fished out by the green buoy last Friday and the ice went from 7-8" down to 2-4" and then back up to 7-8". I was amazed how many people were bombing around on their bike just like what I was doing.

Stay Safe and Tight lines

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:38 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Sorry to hear, glad you are okay and the bike is recovered!

You are right about people not helping... I work downtown Toronto and people will be in need of medical attention and others will step over the person in need, or unfortunately pull out there phone and video tape it instead of help.

We seem to have lost our moral compass.

Again, glad everything worked in your favour.

Teppy

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:06 pm 
Walleye Angler

Followed your first post and figured you were worried about theft,,,I can't believe no one came to try n help u out, that is complete b.s. I'd assume if someone went through the fn ice with a passenger "by the sounds of it" peoples first instinct would b to come n see if the riders are goin down with it! Like teppy said in previous post people would rather record on there phones than help. I wouldnt b surprised if theres not a video online of the whole episode! What a fn joke. What goes around comes around

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:32 pm 
Walleye Angler

Sickening but sadly, there seems to be a lot of low lifes on the ice these days.
"Hey I'm marking a fish, no way I'm going to leave and see if another human is expiring!"
Go walk into the sea.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:49 pm 
Walleye Fry

I'm happy to hear you recovered your machine and that you are okay. I can't believe nobody came to help you out. Folks I live for fishing Quinte hard water but this ain't the year not cold enough stay off with the machines folks. It's punkie ice all over the bay right now... a lot of spots were open water a week ago..... Stay safe folks please use extreme caution on the bay right now...

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:26 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Glad you got your machine out and your OK.

Sorry about your experience people on the ice. It's disheartening the direction our society is going.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:40 am 
Walleye

Glad you made it out all right. There's always more risk when you take a machine out on the ice. I've seen guys with machines on ice that have no business being there, not sure that's the case here. I definitely would help to a point, I'm not risking my life for somebody else's bad decision. I'd definitely would do all I good safely without putting myself at risk.
I also would've had posted where it went through to ensure nobody fall into the hole & drowned vs worrying if somebody stole my bike.
Again glad you made it out safely.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:29 am 
Walleye

Thanks for all the kind remarks. "I also would've had posted where it went through to ensure nobody fall into the hole & drowned vs worrying if somebody stole my bike." That is an interesting point Larry, I will remember that if this ever happens again. Was just put between a rock and a hard place with insurance company. Reported that it went through the ice, would of been interesting to then report that it wasn't there.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:08 am 
Walleye Angler

In general are all bikes covered by insurance if you sink then? What exactly are the costs covered and not covered? Is there a fine or environmental fee for dunking your bike? I lm thinking of buying an atv and am super paranoid of putting it on the ice, looking to spend close to 20k on a new bike don't want to risk taking on ice if not covered. Thanks for any info

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:19 am 
Walleye

Mine was a 2014 can am outlander. I had 17k invested in it. First thing I told my insurance broker is that I need coverage on the ice. The bike was going to be primarily for ice fishing. My insurance broker explained to me that it is covered under comprehensive coverage. As for the fines. Because insurance covers the bike. They are also on the hook for any fines that the MNR and MOE hand out. This is covered under the liability portion. Comprehensive covers sinking. You just need to watch because I have heard that some insurance companies put notes in the comprehensive section saying it's not covered on the ice. I have also heard that once you do put a claim through like what I just did. You will never get that coverage again because of the total cost. But I will let you know about that once this is all completed.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:35 pm 
Minnow

Only way to know for sure is ask the insurer upfront. I was going to switch companies a while ago, and while the price was good from the one company, they wouldn't cover ice so I stuck with my original insurer!

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:00 pm 
Guppy

Sorry to hear about this. Thanks for the warning, was thinking of going out there in the next few days, will now have to reconsider

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:04 pm 
Walleye Angler

nwillz wrote:
Mine was a 2014 can am outlander. I had 17k invested in it. First thing I told my insurance broker is that I need coverage on the ice. The bike was going to be primarily for ice fishing. My insurance broker explained to me that it is covered under comprehensive coverage. As for the fines. Because insurance covers the bike. They are also on the hook for any fines that the MNR and MOE hand out. This is covered under the liability portion. Comprehensive covers sinking. You just need to watch because I have heard that some insurance companies put notes in the comprehensive section saying it's not covered on the ice. I have also heard that once you do put a claim through like what I just did. You will never get that coverage again because of the total cost. But I will let you know about that once this is all completed.

Thanks for the information much Appreciated. Was the bike a write off? Is it destroyed after being in the water?

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:17 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Glad you made it out safe! I gotta ask how Or who got it out?

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:17 am 
Jumbo Perch

Maybe the other fishermen saw that you were ok and didn't bother to come over to where the ice was thin - helping someone in trouble isn't always a cut and dry matter - a person needs to determine if they are putting themselves in danger and possibly losing their life because someone else was careless - if someone goes through the ice and there is no safe way of helping calling 911 is a good option I think - if your on the ice wear a float suit -

banner ad
banner ad