Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:12 am 
Walleye Master

Hi everyone. Been a while since I have posted anything due to health issues and not being able to get out but I spent an entire day NOT really FISHING mostly just looking. I have been reading allot of posts this year about guys fishing there butts off with not many Eyes being caught. I visited several very hot spots and dropped the Marcum camera to see what was around and to my surprise I was seeing very few "2 all day" Walleye and tones of small perch and some schools of gizzard shad. I searched from early morning till after dark with poor results and yesterday went out to big bay and fished 7 different waypoints with not one mark on the Ice55 other than perch. I had a small Eye chase in 19 feet of water all the way to 4 feet from the hole but not aggressive enough to bite and at 6:45pm I had a short battle with a decent fish but lost it halfway up. It is one thing to see fish and not catch but to not even see fish is scary. Ice in the Big Bay area was pretty decent measuring mostly 12 inches and as little as 10 with about 5 inches of frozen snow but you drop threw it making the walk a little harder straight out from Wagers farm halfway to Point Ann then East toward the Red can and West well past the Silos. There was a sled that left from Wagers and went halfway out into the trough and I bike out. Fred.

Fishy Fishy In The Bay, Bite This Line And Make My Day....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:27 am 
Walleye Angler

Good to hear from you Fred!......nice to hear your out and about, at least to some degree.....great report, as always.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:09 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Fred, great to have you back, always luv reading your posts. Big bay has been a mystery this year. Was on a bit of a school a few weeks back but then the shad came in and everything took a dump. A buddy was telling me he had the camera down in big bay about a month ago and saw hundreds of eyes and everyone of them was like 12". A buddy who usually does very well on big bay has given up on it and is jumping around elsewhere trying to find fish. It reminds me of a season we had in the 1990's where it seemed no one caught anything. One of the ice hut operators (moonlight ice huts, no longer around) had his huts in the reach and he had an underwater camera and didn't see any eyes for weeks on end then right at the end of Feb the fish came rolling in. Maybe with the milder winter the eyes haven't felt the need to move in?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:52 pm 
Walleye Master

Yea it has been a weird season for sure Dan. I think I will target some points and shoals I know of that usually produce pretty good and see what gives there.

Fishy Fishy In The Bay, Bite This Line And Make My Day....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:54 pm 
Walleye

great report thank you, and I agree the wonky weather this year has everything out of sync

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:13 am 
Walleye Angler

Idk I know a couple younger boys who've been doing pretty well.. Doin most of there fishing in big bay and trenton deseronto as well when they could get out on thinner ice that is. One of them has got over 100. Ive seen there pics. But keep in mind there out every morning and night...

banner ad