Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Re: First Boat Purchase
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:06 am 
Guppy

Great advice to wait until later in the summer and into fall if you can.
I have bought my last two boats, one a pontoon the other a 17.5' Lund Fish and Ski, in September and got excellent deals on both of them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:21 pm 
Walleye

I have a legend 16 xtreme 2006 model with a 60 hp Merc bigfoot 4 stroke. With 3 big guys 250 lbs each, and gear est. 1000 lbs total , it will get up and plane but takes a little effort to get up. I can run at 32 - 34 mph. with myself 36 -37. Not so with 4 guys. would definitely max out motor if I bought it again. I think you can use a 90 on there now but mine was rated 75HP as a max. I get about a day plus a few hours on a 5 gallon tank. about 50% more than on my 75 mariner. and it is quite with no smell of exhaust.
No leaks, no problems, still using the original plugs , but have a spare new set, motor, boat, trailer tires still good and run well. top is a must. Did put a on board charger in it that charges all batteries when running main motor for trolling or bass fishing with the electric , works well and would never go without it. This will be my 12th full year. I fish lake Ontario, Quinte, Simcoe and other small lakes. Handles 3-4 footers without problems. I have had several different boats, wilker, glass, lund and this one, each had their pros and cons. I would buy a legend again but this time used with a min 75 on it. Good Luck have fun and safe times out there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:49 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

All good advice, I've had a legend for 22years, still runs well, original floors. Have had some rivets come loose, but with the amount of hours I have on it, and the amount of hours on Quinte it wouldn't matter what the brand. It's all how much you pound the boat and take care of them.
Make sure you max the horsepower with whatever you buy.
Teppy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:24 pm 
Walleye

BATMAN wrote:
Darren,
With spring coming, boat shows are also coming. All boats are not made equal. Boats bands such as Legend, Lowe, Tracker, Sylvan are bargin brands and can't compare to top quality boats such as Lund, Crestliner, Alumacraft and Princecraft. Do yourself a favour and look at boats other than Legend.
After hearing your needs, I would recommend you look for one of the quality brand boats between 3-5 yrs old. General specs: 16.5 ft full windshield 90 hp 4 stroke with bunk trailer. If you do purchase a Legend, by all means, make sure you buy the recommended maximum hp motor for the boat.
BATMAN

20 Honda Kicker
TR1 Gold with iTroll Throttle Command
Fish Hawk X4
23 Ft. Sulvan Great lakes rigged
18 Ft centre consol Starcraft
Great lake Salmon Rigged
and a canoe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:13 pm 
Walleye

NO No No IU tried to Quote Batmans reply but it failed. lol Anyway Batman please take the name of Sylvan out of your post Sylvan is infact a Starcraft Cadillac I hope you do some research. and a 4 stroke lol NO a2 stroke E-Tec 90 will eat in every respect a four stroke 115 any day any where any time. My 2005 serial numb. 306 has over 3000 hrs. of total abuse including relentless hrs. of tubing the grand kids at WOT tubing three and four kids at a time relentless whips at WOT. pulls Tank after tank of poor grampas fuel. Salmon Walleye and Muskie fishing in the obscene hrs. Always one of the last boats out i.e.. Jan 14 and one of the first boats in spring as it pulls the Port Darlington Salmon pens out to release the fry. every year since we started the program. It was under 10 ft. of water upside down for 4 days at Merlands and after very minor maintenance required nothing more than one crank and fired like nothing had happened. Self winterization is awesome. OOO and heavy rescues lots including a 32 ft. 17 miles offshore 5 guys in heavy seas pulled emin like a King
I also have an 2014 E-tec 60 It is not the motor for your use it is a great motor but you need a 90

20 Honda Kicker
Fish Hawk X4
Great lake Salmon Rigged
and a canoe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:08 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Don't know if this is a good buy or not Kijiji add #1244958953

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:22 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Drifter,

Sylvan boats are actually made by Smokercraft. Maybe Smokercraft is made by Starcraft. Lol

Sylvan and Smokercraft are know for one of the fastest aluminum hulls.

The research you made me do tells me they don't have the best rough water drive.

My boat is pretty happy in rough water.

Oh bye the way, I recommend a Lund boat.

BATMAN

18FT Lund Pro-V 150 HO 150 ETEC
Lund WC-14 15 Johnson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:01 pm 
Jumbo Perch

My 2 cents...
Had a Lund ProV 17 ft with 90. Absolutely awesome! Neighbour had same setup but a Legend. Lund blew away Legend in every aspect. My neighbor loved my Lund and admitted it regularly.

I now have a Sylvan 14 sport troller with 20. The Sylvan is great I just wish it was 2 feet bigger.

Agree 100% with maxing your HP. You won't regret it

Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:59 am 
Walleye

yes Battman Starcraft (1903) That was his father his son purchased Sylvan (1948) in 1953 and made the boats under its name sake. they were the better line of the Starcraft but you are right they were never owned by Starcraft I thought they were. The whole line was named under Smokercraft later on, look up history of Starcraft and you will find the family again . And Battman Im impressed a 115 E-Tec on a 18 Ft. Lund. NICE! setup. Who put that together? Cant wait to get her wet See you on the water Good luck

20 Honda Kicker
Fish Hawk X4
Great lake Salmon Rigged
and a canoe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:57 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Drifter,

It's actually an HO 150 HP ETEC.

Has 3 Lowrance HDS GPS/depth sounders all networked to each other, as well as to the 150 ETEC and Motorguide XI5 trolling motor.

BATMAN

banner ad