Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: First Boat Purchase
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:04 pm 
Walleye

I'm looking to buy my first boat. I'm looking for something that can accommodate a family of 4 (2 young kids) for some cruising and casual fishing, as well as something I can handle myself for more serious fishing. I'd like it to be pretty much 50/50 fishing/cruising (sport). I'd also like it to be easily towable behind my Jeep Wrangler (3500lb max). I will probably look to get a slip somewhere for convenience but occasionally tow to smaller lakes while camping.

From shopping around, a model that seems perfect to me is the Legend X16, found here: http://legendboats.com/boat/x-series/mo ... LIMblUrKUk .

I'd like some opinions about how that boat would do on BOQ, comments on Legend boats (reputation perhaps), alternatives and anything else you guys can throw my way.

Post subject: Re: First Boat Purchase
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:10 pm 
Walleye Angler

For Legend talk with the folks Inverary North Country Marine. Four Stroke is a must in my books. May I suggest that you consider used boats. Another suggestion is that you look into the fiberglass as apposed to aluminum. This is from personal experience. Youll find a bid difference in the handling over waves.
Dwayne

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:22 pm 
Walleye

D-wayne wrote:
For Legend talk with the folks Inverary North Country Marine. Four Stroke is a must in my books. May I suggest that you consider used boats. Another suggestion is that you look into the fiberglass as apposed to aluminum. This is from personal experience. Youll find a bid difference in the handling over waves.
Dwayne

North Country Marine is where I've been looking. I will have a look for used models, a few years old. Any brand of fiberglass you would recommend?

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:46 pm 
Walleye Angler

I won't offer an opinion on Legend quality other than to say they are built to sell for a price and most often packaged with an motor that under powers the boat in order to hit a price point. Without going to the optional 60 or preferably a 90 I don't think you would be happy with 4 people and gear in that boat. You may think you don't need speed but you need to get your boat and load up on plane at around half or a bit more throttle. You will use less fuel with a 90 at 2/3 throttle than a wide open 40 and you will have much more control. If a storm comes up you want the ability to haul ass and get your family to safety.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:57 pm 
Minnow

Yea, apples to apples, they aren't any less expensive than most other brands. They're a decent hull and features are good but always advertised severely under powered.

I'd suggest finding the floorplan that you like and that is in your price range when fully powered. It's not just about going fast, its about having enough power to get out of the hole quickly, to navigate rough water effectively and being able to resell quickly if you choose to do so one day.

Mike

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:15 pm 
Walleye Master

Definitely go bigger than the 40 horse. I speak through experience. I have a 40 on my 16 footer and it barely moves with 4 people in it. With 2 people + gear it maxes out at about 25 mph but still pretty slow out of the hole. I also am not overly concerned with top speed, but there have been many many times when I wish I had it. You won't be doing much "cruising" so to speak with the 40.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:03 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Boy, they've shot up in price. That boat 10 years ago was $14,999.00. I bought one and wished I max out the hp. Told the sales person that I may have 4 people in it and he assured me the 50 4stroke would be fine. It's real lazy with 3 people in it, but will plane out. Touch wood, mine has been fine for what I wanted in a boat. Rigged up for salmon in the big lake on calm days. Fine for WestLake and BOQ. For me, it's all I expected for 20k, taxes and freight in. But don't let them fool you, max out the engine, that 40hp is way under powered. Sure wish I went with my instinct for a few thousand more.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:12 pm 
Guppy

I bought myself a used Lowe from a friend at work who sadly her father owed it and had past away and had hardly used the thing. Has a 60 mercury 4 stroke quiet SOB, awesome for trolling at just the 1.5-2 speed. seats move around from back to front. live well and all!! storage, live well, front trolling motor !! I attached a ladder at the back as my kids always beg to go tubing, so when not in used for fishing, its a great thing for the tube and family gathering. ( not bad on gas at all) I've owed a few boats over the years and it sure suits my needs for family time and then for my own fish time and even works in the tournaments!! I even went out of my way this fall and added ( removable) skirt for a duck blind and used it for duck hunting as the carpet was beige and was a perfect blend. Feel free to reply and you can view the not so fancy thing to see what it looks like but man.. it works and worth it!! my two cents worth!! and FYI I also have a jeep which tows it everywhere and launches it easy!! even with the low water!!But has 4" lifts!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:41 pm 
Walleye Angler

16.5 ft Lund Classic, 40 hp Etec, planes out with 2 adults, 3 teens, gear, no problem. There's Rebel's that have similar hull as the Classic isn't made anymore.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:14 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I had a Legend package boat about ten years ago.

It was used and about 5 years old when I got it. The previous owner kept it outside under a tarp. It looked pretty good when I got it.

The package motor was woefully under powered for the boat, it wouldn't plane with two people.

The decks had rotted out and had to be replaced.

The trailer was too light for the boat and the bunks were rotten.

The wiring had to be replaced.

The boat had leaks.

I put on a bigger motor, re-wired it, replaced the wood and bought a heavier trailer. The boat was still junk.

I was very disappointed and lost a lot of money on it. I'll never forget it(my wife won't let me).

I sold it and bought a Princecraft. No regrets on that boat. Had a Lund years ago, it was a great boat too.

There's lots of good boats out there but I'd be real cautious about a Legend Package boat.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:58 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Darren,
With spring coming, boat shows are also coming. All boats are not made equal. Boats bands such as Legend, Lowe, Tracker, Sylvan are bargin brands and can't compare to top quality boats such as Lund, Crestliner, Alumacraft and Princecraft. Do yourself a favour and look at boats other than Legend.
After hearing your needs, I would recommend you look for one of the quality brand boats between 3-5 yrs old. General specs: 16.5 ft full windshield 90 hp 4 stroke with bunk trailer. If you do purchase a Legend, by all means, make sure you buy the recommended maximum hp motor for the boat.
BATMAN

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:30 am 
Walleye

BATMAN wrote:
Darren,
With spring coming, boat shows are also coming. All boats are not made equal. Boats bands such as Legend, Lowe, Tracker, Sylvan are bargin brands and can't compare to top quality boats such as Lund, Crestliner, Alumacraft and Princecraft. Do yourself a favour and look at boats other than Legend.
After hearing your needs, I would recommend you look for one of the quality brand boats between 3-5 yrs old. General specs: 16.5 ft full windshield 90 hp 4 stroke with bunk trailer. If you do purchase a Legend, by all means, make sure you buy the recommended maximum hp motor for the boat.
BATMAN

Perfect, this is what I needed to hear. Thank you!

Thanks also to everyone else that's responded...

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:24 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

Darren,

Congratulations on the decision to buy a new boat.
There has been some very good advice offered here.

I'm one of the Charter Capts here on Quinte and I spend all winter working the boat shows selling our product. (I work for Kingfisher boats.). I also get to see firsthand who really has the quality product and who is trying to just turn a buck.
I'm not going to try and sell you any particular brand over another one.
But if you want to give me a call or PM me I'll try and steer you in the right direction.
Best of luck with whatever you choose.... boats are FUN!

NPAA#297,
nwernerfishing@hotmail.com
Facebook- Werners Angling Adventures

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:38 pm 
Walleye Master

This probably isn't the best time of year to be buying a boat. Now though June is a seller's dream. My advice is take your time do some research on new but be patient and look at lightly used. At the end of this boating season,. Deals will pop up to your advantage.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:35 am 
Walleye

Have owned a number of boats over the years and love Princecraft. Looked at Legend but found that their packages were priced well but sadly underpowered. By the time the motor was upgraded the price was right there with boats of much better quality. If you're towing with a Jeep I'd stick to aluminum, better to stay under 75% of your towing capacity. Buy the biggest motor you can, you can always slow down and if you have kids you'll be doing a lot of tubing etc.
Don't know where your located but highly recommend Wards in Kingston if your buying new. We bought our last boat there and can't say enough about the sales experience and the after sales service. Finally, it is a bad time to buy, a few years ago I was selling a tinny in March, had it on Kijji for $1500 and ended up with two guys in the driveway and selling it for $1700

banner ad
banner ad