Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:33 am 
Walleye

The last time I spent any hours fishing the bay was in the mid to late 90's and always in the fall just before closure.
I have a friend who wants to fish this spring..(probably not on opener, but the week/weekend after) and he wants to know what sort of presentations to use. Drifting with a jig and minnow, bottom bouncers with minnow or worm, anchoring and jigging or casting/ trolling crank baits.
Like I mentioned, the last time I was there, it was mostly either anchor or drift with a jig and minnow. I understand that everything has changed due to water clarity, forage base and water levels etc.
Just to be sure also, if he is trolling, it's one line in the bay and two past the Ferry???
Any help is appreciated.

Tom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:57 am 
Walleye Angler

Hey Tom. Your best bet would be to slow troll worm harnesses Depends where you plan on fishing though. one line only unless east of Glenora.
Dave

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:03 pm 
Walleye Angler

In the spring I have best luck trolling with spinners or cc shads, ask at the local bait shops in the area where you're fishing and I'm sure you'll get lucky... Good luck, Tom

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:20 pm 
Walleye

Thanks for the replies boys.

The information I read regarding two lines was correct then. Thanks Dave.

Trolling seems to be the best bet then. Cover water and look for suspended fish????

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:04 pm 
Walleye Master

Depends on water temp somewhat. You can do well with cc shads, shallow stick baits like husky jerks, scatter raps etc trolled. Have never had great luck east of the ferry in spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:08 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Remember the Rule of 50......

Water temp below 50 F - use cranks

Water temps above 50 F - use worm rigs.

Please recall what Scott Walcott said last year in his on-line seminar - the fish are high in the water column.

David aka Superdad

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:39 am 
Walleye

good information there and thanks.
I will pass it all on to my bud from London and he can figure it out from there.

Love this forum. The sharing of information is amazing.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:43 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Hey Tom catch up with me at the Oddessy and we can talk , Superdad is right on with water temps dictating what the go to pattern will be for the first couple of weeks , but every possible pattern will catch fish in the bay just need to go with what you are most confident in :D

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:54 pm 
Walleye

Thanks Bill.

If I forget...(which seems to be happening a lot lately) look me up and remind me what I asked you....LOL :lol:

By the way, as you can figure, I can't give anyone much information about the bay, but if anyone needs or wants to know what's going on in the Kawarthas, just ask. I'll do the best I can to give you an honest answer. I live on Pigeon Lake 4 seasons of the year.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:52 pm 
Perch

Don't be afraid to fish the shallow water at night.
Good luck

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:00 am 
Goby

It seems come the opener for walleye and pike, that the fish have spawned long ago and have mostly moved out from the waters near the rivers.

Rivers holding no fish to shallow bays with only micro pike, difficult to locate these elusive bay of quinte walleye.

This has been my story for the last 4-6 years in the derby, it seems people have cheated their way to weighing in the top fish by fishing out of the bay in the big lake.

Is anyone on here who cares to steer me wrong and give some advice on what areas to fish for the small male walleyes that are left?

I can remember decades ago where the shorelines of the rivers were lined with people catching big fish walleye and pike.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:07 pm 
Walleye Master

Quinteshoreliner wrote:
It seems come the opener for walleye and pike, that the fish have spawned long ago and have mostly moved out from the waters near the rivers.

Rivers holding no fish to shallow bays with only micro pike, difficult to locate these elusive bay of quinte walleye.

This has been my story for the last 4-6 years in the derby, it seems people have cheated their way to weighing in the top fish by fishing out of the bay in the big lake.

Is anyone on here who cares to steer me wrong and give some advice on what areas to fish for the small male walleyes that are left?

I can remember decades ago where the shorelines of the rivers were lined with people catching big fish walleye and pike. The ones with morals not indians with speers.

There will still be large fish in the system. Those fish for the most part will be on the east end from deseronto to picton. You're right in that alot of them will be gone back to the lake but I've yet to find them lol. They seem to largely disappear until June/July. Seems like every year the winning fish is on the board by early Saturday morning and not much changes after that. Likely due to boat pressure.

I fish opener for fun and a boys weekend. Yes we have tickets just in case but have never won anything. We have been on the board a few times but didn't hold.

The above is all re: walleye. For pike, I know of a few amazing spring spots that are shallow water and hold tanks. Don't ask lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

banner ad