Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:21 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Native Spear/Net fishery
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:36 am 
Site Admin

In the nearly 2 decades I have been running this board this topic comes up every year. On a rare occasion there is a civil discussion, free of racist, negative, spiteful, stereotyping comments. Most often its the opposite. I respectfully ask that should you feel the need to raise this topic you do it with your MP and the local Mohawk band Council. In the meantime I will be getting my tackle ready, washing my boat, buying my ticket, purchasing new equipment from Pro Tackle, respooling reels, waiting for an invite to trout fish, finishing up my taxes and checking off the rest of the honey do list before the season opens. Thank you for your cooperation.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:39 am 
Walleye Master

Lol@ Dan. Well said

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:56 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Dan... your list is eerily similar to mine !!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:29 am 
Guppy

Thanks for addressing that early. Hope it sticks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:25 am 
Site Admin

Hang on Teppy whats on the honey do list? mines a doozy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:51 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Ohhh boy!!! I have rooms and basement to pack and to paint, taxes to do, windows to caulk and trim to paint, gardens to rake, and much much more!!! Looks like we're starting to build retirement home this summer so tons of work ahead!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:20 am 
Site Admin

I'm ripping up the staircase carpet and capping it with hardwood then ripping out carpet in 4 bedrooms and a hallway then laying laminate or hardwood (wife hasn't decided yet) plus the taxes and then on to the boat and getting fishing stuff out.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:49 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Man your knees are going to be sore!!!
The damn honey do list... lol.
Always getting in the way!
I was thinking of doing the same with our stairs!! lol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:06 am 
Minnow

it is hard to judge a group of natives because our goverment fails to address the issue one must remember not all are bad only a few come and spear than take more and sell not much can be done till the people with power choose to fix the problem but remember the mohawk band council does not endorse bad judgement of a few that tend to take advantage of an old treaty put in place years ago that truly needs not be there today

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:05 am 
Walleye Angler

stilltrying wrote:
it is hard to judge a group of natives because our goverment fails to address the issue one must remember not all are bad only a few come and spear than take more and sell not much can be done till the people with power choose to fix the problem but remember the mohawk band council does not endorse bad judgement of a few that tend to take advantage of an old treaty put in place years ago that truly needs not be there today

There are a lot of non native people out there doing the same thing, some are caught a lot are not.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:29 pm 
Walleye Angler

I would pay to watch and learn the true ancestors methods of targeting catching cleaning and preparing fish catch for the tribe's consumption.
How they create the spear from wood and the tips from bone or rock. How the nets are fashioned from entrails vines and plant fiber. The clothing from skins and insulated with moss. How they waterproof the footwear with animal fats and pine
The preparation of the catch and how it is preserved for the tribe's nutritional needs.
All that while the health and sustainably of the fish is ensured by the insight of the elders who track the cyclical fluctuations.
That would be awesome and what I would consider true preservation of traditions.
I have yet to find where traditional gear came into existence centuries ago. Flourocarbon gill net stainless steel spears, neoprene suits, are the gear that is supposedly essential for the traditional harvest.... but I'm almost sure that the ancient pick up trucks were not four wheel drive....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:45 pm 
Walleye

It is what it is and fortunately we've learned, fair or not, to coexist without incident. My question is does the ministry monitor and record the native harvest and if they do, by what means? Also are sanctuaries for everyone or only non natives?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:37 pm 
Walleye Angler

In regards to your sanctuary question.....was on the front page of the Cobourg paper...... http://www.northumberlandtoday.com/2017 ... esman-says

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:18 pm 
Guppy

its not that difficult to answer - "fish" as per Treaty - get a copy and read it.

In summary - you can "fish" for YOUR family consumption and the quantity is regulated by how much you and your family can carry by FOOT back to your "house" - no trucks, no selling, no over harvesting.

Any one that says anything different does not know/understand the Treaty.

I'm not for or against - just follow the rules that are set in place.

frustrated.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:29 am 
Walleye Angler

john e wrote:
its not that difficult to answer - "fish" as per Treaty - get a copy and read it.

In summary - you can "fish" for YOUR family consumption and the quantity is regulated by how much you and your family can carry by FOOT back to your "house" - no trucks, no selling, no over harvesting.

Any one that says anything different does not know/understand the Treaty.

I'm not for or against - just follow the rules that are set in place.

frustrated.

I'm only going to weigh in once here. All treaties are vastly different and specific to the both the geography and the group. So when you say get a copy and 'read' it....you may want to be more specific as they all varied. A treaty from out west, like one of the numbered treaties is going to look very different say from Treaty No.2 May 1970 Ottawas, Chippewas and, Pottawatomys and Hurons (which is in Southern Ontario) or Treaty 9 (1929) in Northern Ontario. Secondly, they allow for an evolution in practice over time- this does not mean you have to only hunt with bow and arrow, but modern practices can be used. Harvesting, was done for family and community, and not regulated by how much you can carry by foot. Practice changes as technology permitted. There are some cases out there that prove 'commercial' fishing was indeed practiced by CERTAIN communities, and these have gone before court and proven, where the treaty(ies) may have not been clear on it.

Today there are many communities that have adopted their own set of community regulations outlining how many of one species may be harvested at a time for personal and or ceremonial use. However, that is to say there aren't individuals out there that choose to ignore what the community has set out, they just feel it's their right to harvest as much as they want. There's bad apples everywhere.

All the best.

"I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation"

banner ad