Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:58 pm 
Minnow

Hutchy wrote:
stilltrying wrote:
it is hard to judge a group of natives because our goverment fails to address the issue one must remember not all are bad only a few come and spear than take more and sell not much can be done till the people with power choose to fix the problem but remember the mohawk band council does not endorse bad judgement of a few that tend to take advantage of an old treaty put in place years ago that truly needs not be there today

There are a lot of non native people out there doing the same thing, some are caught a lot are not.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:01 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Yesterday's wrongs and today's realities are two totally different animals. When it's all gone which treaty will be adhered to and who's pockets will be picked to appease whomever feels wronged?

Ass Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:33 pm 
Baitfish

Treaty, rules, whatever you call it, dropped in on the River that comes up at the end of Shannonville rd and hwy 2 mid last week just to watch a little. A truck with three guys, one who I happen to know through friends, took 70 walleye himself, and mentioned a few days before in a different location he took EXACTLY 300. Bragging he took a day off work and spent 7 hours cleaning walleye while friends stopped by to purchase a bag containing 2 fish (4 filets) at $10.00 per bag.
Not my place to whine and complain, just merely stating in my own opinion which isn't worth a darn thing that that is ridiculous. Fishing is slow, wonder why. Can't find the fish, wonder why. That is not what it is all about. I don't know one family that can eat 370 walleye. No need. Most were huge females that hadn't spawned yet.
I'm not trying to spark an argument, but that to me, is a complete lack of respect to every honest fisherman out there.
My question is,
Why can't this be regulated at least a bit???
Or at least a quota in place, fish tracked to keep a healthy population.
Every river should be a fish sanctuary. But at least we aren't like the Americans, no fishing seasons and the walleye and all other game fish can be harvested during the spawn. Bass can be pulled from their beds, walleye from the river, all other fish whenever you feel like it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:43 am 
Jumbo Perch

Sean - where did you get the idea that we Americans don't have fishing seasons, limits, .etc - sure we do - and everyone is expected to follow them without exception - as a non-Canadian I can't understand how one group of people can act differently from the rest of the population - treaties that were made many years ago when conditions were far different should not have any relevance today - all Canadians should be treated the same - one other point - people who buy these fish are just as guilty as the guys catching the fish - restaurants that sells walleye should be boycotted because if people didn't buy these fish where wouldn't be an incentive to catch so many

I can see why some people don't obey the fish laws - like size limits and possession limits - one guy is expected to only keep a couple while another guy is keeping hundreds - or one guy has to throw back fish because they are a inch too small while another guy is loading up on all size fish - high time to get rid of these unfair treaties

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:59 pm 
Walleye

DanElliot wrote:
I'm ripping up the staircase carpet and capping it with hardwood then ripping out carpet in 4 bedrooms and a hallway then laying laminate or hardwood (wife hasn't decided yet) plus the taxes and then on to the boat and getting fishing stuff out.

I have been trying to post my home renos for days from my cell but can't shrink the photo enough.
Is there a way to do this on an iPhone without an app?

Maybe email to myself?
Been struggling trying to figure this out I know it's been posted on the board in the past.

I am also trying to change the subject of this thread back to home renos lol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:03 pm 
Walleye

Also a licensed electrician email would be great.
I should probably have someone inspect it when I am done running it

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:14 pm 
Walleye

So all you need to do is email it back to yourself and change the size of photos in email. Wish I thought of that 5 days ago...

This project was also suppose to be completed for opener... going to Algonquin for trout this weekend so my magic eight ball says things are looking slim lol

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:26 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

This project was also suppose to be completed for opener... going to Algonquin for trout this weekend so my magic eight ball says things are looking slim lol[/quote]

This was posted on another site -----

I received notification today that all back country permits are delayed till April 28 thus putting a hold on getting to
your favorite back lake in Algonquin for the opener . All lakes in the area are mostly ice covered
and they don't expect them to be clear for at least another week or two . The back roads and
portages are still snow/ice covered as well .

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:40 pm 
Walleye Angler

Glad to know ice is leaving soon up that way.....got some trout fishing plans as well!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:28 pm 
Walleye

Thanks Wayne,
We had to choose a different spot because of that reason, but I believe the trip is still on

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:45 pm 
Baitfish

JoePa wrote:
Sean - where did you get the idea that we Americans don't have fishing seasons, limits, .etc - sure we do - and everyone is expected to follow them without exception - as a non-Canadian I can't understand how one group of people can act differently from the rest of the population - treaties that were made many years ago when conditions were far different should not have any relevance today - all Canadians should be treated the same - one other point - people who buy these fish are just as guilty as the guys catching the fish - restaurants that sells walleye should be boycotted because if people didn't buy these fish where wouldn't be an incentive to catch so many

I can see why some people don't obey the fish laws - like size limits and possession limits - one guy is expected to only keep a couple while another guy is keeping hundreds - or one guy has to throw back fish because they are a inch too small while another guy is loading up on all size fish - high time to get rid of these unfair treaties

I mean no disrespect JoePa, I am Canadian. It lived in the US for the past 15 years only to recently return. I may be misinformed about "seasons" and with a little research I was wrong about that. The point I was making, there are guys in Minnesota and Pennsylvania that are fishing walleye right out of the river as they spawn. I watched people every day where I was pulling bass right off their beds. My point is that they shouldn't be fished while spawning because there's a good chance that that fish won't have a successful spawn because of it. I know up here we close fishing for specific types when they are spawning so that they can reproduce naturally.
Now I know rules don't always apply when fishing a man made lake or resovoire but the seasons really apply to natural bodies of water.
I just believe that in order to have a good sport fishing industry for years to come then the fish should be left alone to do their business.

As for the spearing or netting, I know it's tradition or whatever. But those days of necessity have certainly passed. Most do it to sell and make side cash, some merely do it cause they can. I have seen several dump sites for these speared fish where the fish weren't even filleted, I actually called one in a few years back that I came across down the old rail way bed while four wheeling. Truck load of big dead walleye not even cleaned.

My point is this needs to be monitored or done away with completely. It is being abused and it only take 1 person abusing it to have an over all effect. There is no reason a person should take 300 fish in one outing, then go back and take another 70. That 370 fish that most likely didn't spawn. That's going to affect a lot of things.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:18 am 
Walleye Master

Dam weather. Great for the pen fry at Wellington as water temps are staying below 10 C and hopefully we will make the 30 days before release.
Trying to rebuild a floating section of my dock and every time I start to work on it the rain chases me back inside. Maybe the next couple of weeks I will get it finished.

Captain - Team ATOMMIK/Rockets

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:37 am 
Walleye Wisdom

SEAN 16 nailed it. Greed and cause they can

Ancestral tradition ? Blow it out a tin flute.

Ass Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:02 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Sean16 Lake Erie is wide open for fishing walleye right now and always has been. Guys are crushing walleye daily as the the walleye population migrates into the Detroit River to spawn. If the population is there it can be done.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:20 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

The Native fishery in the Bay of Quinte is unregulated, unreported, unenforced and sold commercially.

There was an attempt to regulate spring spearing, but I don't know if that's still the case.