Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:01 am 
Walleye Fingerling

Hi everyone!

Walleye opener is 2 days ahead.
So I wanted to hear your opinions applicably to our typical situation:
May to mid-June, Deseronto area, trolling speeds between 1.1 and 1.7 mph.
I simply get lost because so much of info on internet.
I assume to make custom harnesses.

1. What style, size & color of blades you were successful in recent years?
2. What hook size style do you prefer and why? Examples: Black bait holder size 4 or 2, red short, golden.
3. What is the optimum length & diameter of line on harness?
4. Do you use plastic crevices or stainless steel one? What are disadvantages of plastic ones compare to steel ones?
5. How many beads and sizes in mm do you install normally?
6. What is the weight of Bottom bouncers at 20 feet depth do you use? Does Bottom bouncer color makes any difference?
When you describe blade color let’s use the same notation below:
Solid green color, green-yellow-orange with silver back, holographic natural shiner, hammered purple-pink with copper back.

I primarily use Colorado style size 4 blades with chartreuse green colors. Hook size 4 bait holder black. Leader length is between 3-4 feet long.
My bottom bouncer weight is about 1 oz when I’m at 15 feet of water & 1 ¼ oz when at 20 feet.
I see 1 disadvantage of plastic crevices that they potentially have more resistance to rotate.
I’ve heart purple colors are popular in Erie. Do they work in May in BOQ?
I'm using jiggernaut harnesses. But they leader looks to short for me. Should it be longer?

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:20 am 
Walleye Master

My personal preference is bright colors, oranges, chartreuse, etc. silver/blue. or silver/gold.
Also prefer willow blades over Colorado. when I tie my own, I often use a 4 foot leader, add a swivel at end. gives me the option
to Carolina rig it instead of using a bottom bouncer, I find I get better feel with Carolina rigging method.
Basically add a worm weight to main line, before tieing onto swivel. I will also use this same method to get baits like blue fox spinners to run deeper.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:57 am 
Walleye Master

As for bottom bouncers, rule of thumb is 1 ounce for every 10 FOW. Colorado blades give off the most vibration while willow leaf are a tighter spin and give off less vibration. Size of blade depends on size of fish you are looking for, although in stained or dark water you might choose a larger blade for more vibration due to lack of vision so to speak. Most pros will say colour isn't as important as blade shape and size. I'd say in darker water you'd use brighter colours and in clear water use natural colours to match the baitfish.
I'm no worm harness pro by any means, but I read a lot of fishing magazines and watch videos on YouTube. If you go on YouTube and type in "trolling walleye with spinners" or something like that, you should be able to find the answers to some of your questions.

Good Luck!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:27 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

Thanks fireball and Walleye 9 for quick reply everyone.

fireball:
You've mentioned that prefer willow blades over Colorado. Why? Did you discover that walleye responds better to presentation with willow blade?
I also have one willow blade size 4. It catches fish.

Walleye 9:

Faster boat moves then faster blade rotates.
If we consider trolling speeds 1.7 mph and Colorado blade size 4. Does it rotates too fast?
Starting from which speed we should prefer Willow blade compare to Colorado one?

Which blade size do you consider standard size for quinte 3 or 4?
Did you use size 5?
Which blade size do you start with?

I saw people were using solid green mate color.
So I agree with darker water you'd use brighter colours and in clear water use natural colours to match the baitfish.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:32 pm 
Walleye Master

I don't think boat speed matters too much at a typical walleye trolling speed say 1-2 mph Just make sure you are not going too slow that the blades aren't spinning. Just my opinion but I usually use smaller blades in the spring and bigger blades in the summer. Baitfish are small in the spring and grow larger through summer and fall, so I try to match blade size accordingly. I've also caught lots of walleye on willow leaf blades over the years. Best thing is try different size, shape and colour throughout the day and let the fish tell you what they want. If you have a couple people with you in the boat then everybody should try something different and see what works.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:31 am 
Site Admin

Saw these in Cabelas when I was Ottawa a while back. Will probably make my own. The hook eye is attached to a swivel and they used a slow death hook.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:39 am 
Walleye Fry

I make all my own in about at least a dozen configurations,both with number 4 colorados and number 5 Indiana blades in all shapes sizes and colors...they are pretty easy to make and generally I go single blade in the early spring then use tandom blades as the season progresses as well as always 2 hook rigs.....unless I am using a slow death set-up......

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:51 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I make my own. Bought my supplies from Luremaking.com in Hepworth Ontario. I use their Colorado Deep Cup blades that spin better a slow speeds.

I stick with chartreuse for the bay.

I add a one size smaller second(stinger) hook tied close to the main hook. With this arrangement I get away with a half a worm and still have some meat dangling free.

I also add a couple of float beads to keep my bait off the bottom when I'm bottom bouncing.

Basically, I went through their catalogue and picked out hooks, blades, clevises, beads and floats. Cost me less that $50.00 and I have enough to last for years. You can make whatever you want.

I carry everything with me tie whatever I want. Takes 3 or 4 minutes to tie a harness.

I've had pretty good luck. I've even had guys ask me where I bought my harnesses and have tied up a couple on the spot and gave them away. The guys love it and makes me look smarter than I am.

Have fun.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:48 am 
Goby

Roblin wrote:
I make my own. Bought my supplies from Luremaking.com in Hepworth Ontario. I use their Colorado Deep Cup blades that spin better a slow speeds.

I stick with chartreuse for the bay.

I add a one size smaller second(stinger) hook tied close to the main hook. With this arrangement I get away with a half a worm and still have some meat dangling free.

I also add a couple of float beads to keep my bait off the bottom when I'm bottom bouncing.

Basically, I went through their catalogue and picked out hooks, blades, clevises, beads and floats. Cost me less that $50.00 and I have enough to last for years. You can make whatever you want.

I carry everything with me tie whatever I want. Takes 3 or 4 minutes to tie a harness.

I've had pretty good luck. I've even had guys ask me where I bought my harnesses and have tied up a couple on the spot and gave them away. The guys love it and makes me look smarter than I am.

Have fun.

Well you are smarter roblin, It seems like lure making will cost me extra in shipping charges, Do you have any recommendation for someone in Houston,USA. ?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:44 am 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

In the USA, check out Hagens and Stamina, being in the US, the shipping costs will be reduced.

David aka Superdad
Manufacturer of the Uzick Spinner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:35 pm 
Guppy

Check out the harnesses that Chris at www.yaleyefish.ca makes. He also sells just the blades and beads. We and others did real well this year on Erie with his harnesses and Bagley custom painted sticks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:10 am 
Goby

Superdad wrote:
In the USA, check out Hagens and Stamina, being in the US, the shipping costs will be reduced.

David aka Superdad
Manufacturer of the Uzick Spinner

Thanks! Hagens seems good for now. Will let you know how it goes.