Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:24 pm 
Walleye

So, some of you may have read my post about buying the boat... I've gotten some help with setting up my new sonar and some ideas about where to launch, etc.

I now have my boat docked at Trent Port Marina in Trenton and I really like it there. I just have no idea where to start fishing!

I've read there is sometimes decent fishing between the bridge near the mouth of the river and the center of the bay across from the marina. I was out there for about an hour today for a test run and there were a ton of boats there filled with derby fisherman. That suggests it should be decent? I did a bit of drifting/casting with tail dancers and shad raps but nothing too serious (and no fish, lol).

I've also read about areas like big bay/point Anne's etc. I see it on the map and am wondering how practical it is to take a ride out there from Trenton to fish it or if that will take way too long and I should just trailer it there instead. What about a run to Presquile Bay or Weller's Bay? How long would it take to get there from Trent Port and what's it like going through the Canal? What kind of cruising speeds can I reasonably expect to average on my Lowe FS 1610 with 115hp Merc?

The whole idea behind getting the slip was to make it as convenient as possible to get out, and therefore encourage maximum use out of the boat this season. Ideally, I would like to regularly be able to get out for a few hours, and get into decent fishing. Occasionally I would probably like to make some short trips to areas with bigger/better fishing.

What about some close pike, and bass when the season opens up?

I hope I'm not asking for too much here. I'm not from the area and don't personally know anyone that fishes. This is something that I very much want to pass on to my kids, and want them to enjoy it as much as possible in the mean time!

Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:01 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

In all honesty try focusing on places close to your slip. Spend your time fishing instead of running. Once you find patterns and techniques that work then worry about expanding your area. Search through old threads on here for anything Trenton related, mouth of the trent and even onderdonks.
Lastly get out and have fun, that's what this is all about after all, don't stress over trying to learn too much all at once.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:41 pm 
Walleye

FISH HUNTER wrote:
In all honesty try focusing on places close to your slip. Spend your time fishing instead of running. Once you find patterns and techniques that work then worry about expanding your area. Search through old threads on here for anything Trenton related, mouth of the trent and even onderdonks.
Lastly get out and have fun, that's what this is all about after all, don't stress over trying to learn too much all at once.

Sounds like some solid advice. It can be (has been) overwhelming with all the information out there. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:19 am 
Walleye Angler

A boat gets ~4 mpg a towing vehicle gets ~15mpg... any run is better off trailered.
An old saying "90% of the fish are in 10% of the water holds true so often
Your cruizing speed will go up as the time goes by. The issue will be with waves.
You will learn to respect the big waters
Hopefully it will be tales of silliness
Enjoy your adventures.... they are memorable

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:45 am 
Jumbo Perch

in the river between tomasos and the marina I have caught a tonne of large and smallmouth especialy after the tournament. wacky worms and spinners mostly casting towards shore and along the weed edges. many days of catching my limit although I almost always catch and release. also in front of freshco lots of guys say is a good spot for walleye in the evening

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:32 pm 
Baitfish

max speed through the canal going to Brighton Bay is 5 mph and its 8 km long. the cost is around 5.00 each way. its a long boring ride to go fishing. If you are going to go into Wellers Bay you have to enter in the morning and leave after supper .The entrance to Wellers Bay is at the mercy of westerly winds. This causes large swells at the entrance to Wellers Bay and 32 ft boats have bottomed out there. I fish mainly Big Bay around Trident Point by the red can. So far this year limiting out for walleye in a couple hrs. If you were to come up there I would launch from Herchimer boat launch in belleville . From there its about a 5-10min ride into Big Bay. Fishing has been good in front of the old cement plant at Point Anne. I hope this helps you.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:35 pm 
Walleye

rob67 wrote:
max speed through the canal going to Brighton Bay is 5 mph and its 8 km long. the cost is around 5.00 each way. its a long boring ride to go fishing. If you are going to go into Wellers Bay you have to enter in the morning and leave after supper .The entrance to Wellers Bay is at the mercy of westerly winds. This causes large swells at the entrance to Wellers Bay and 32 ft boats have bottomed out there. I fish mainly Big Bay around Trident Point by the red can. So far this year limiting out for walleye in a couple hrs. If you were to come up there I would launch from Herchimer boat launch in belleville . From there its about a 5-10min ride into Big Bay. Fishing has been good in front of the old cement plant at Point Anne. I hope this helps you.

Golden... #1 answer... ;)

Thanks!

banner ad