Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:55 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:46 am 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Once again, my son and grandsons arrived at Hay Bay all psyched for the Walleye World Derby. Everyone was fully prepared with winter clothes and boots to face the impending rain and cold.

Prior to going fishing, the mandatory camp picture was taken.

We hit the water on Saturday morning and headed for the fishing grounds (Cement Plant) and set the rods and boards and were fishing at 0915. The mood on the boat was high and everyone was anticipating the first strike. It didn't take too long and the board disappeared. Have we got the winner!!!!!!!!

It was William's turn at the rod and he slowed reeled the board to Grandad and brought the fish to the surface and the awaiting net. It's a nice fish. The scale showed 7.5lbs and new Personal Best for William.

The decision was made to take the fish to Perfect Vue to enter the fish and it was registered and William topped the Junior Walleye with a fish at 7.34lbs. What a great start.

We headed back out to see if we could get another one. We trolled several passes and as the clock was winding down to our departure for home, I had begun to reel the rods off one side and as I got the second rod stowed, the outer board fired and Albert was on the rod. Dave reeled in the inner rod and Albert followed the instructions for slow reeling and no jerking the rod. Took the planer board off and the fish surfaced and was swept into the net. Another good looking walleye. The scale showed about 7lbs, so we had a pair of entries into the Derby.

If you are wondering what are you using - here's the shot of the fish and the lure.

We were off to Perfect Vue Weigh station again, these guys are getting to know us. The fish was active in the holding tank and it tipped the scale at 7.49lbs. This one is bigger than the first. With the registration, the computer updated and the first two places were our two fish.

This was a personal best for Albert, two PB's on the same morning - What a Day!!!!!!!!

After lunch, the agonizing period began as we watched the leader board to see if someone else landed a bigger fish. The afternoon rain kept us at camp, as we were drying all the gear from the morning.

Going to bed, the boys were still watching the board and they were fearful of being bested during the night. Sunday AM found that nothing had changed. Back to Long Reach to try a different technique. Everyone got their rods and we had them rigged with Uzick Spinners. We trolled off the High Shore opposite the entrance to Hay Bay, marking a lot of fish and then Albert said he thought he had a bite and with some reeling, the rod bent and a fish was on!!!!!

Reeling slowly he brought the fish up and Dave slipped the net under the fish and it was ours. Another nice walleye, tipped the scale at 6.5lbs. Not big enough to upgrade the leader board.

Back to camp for lunch and clean up as we planned to head to Trenton.

Arrived at the big tent in Trenton and the boys were still in the lead as the clock wound dow to 1600 hrs. After the 4PM deadline passed, congratulations were offered to the two boys.

The presentation ceremony took place and William as 2nd prize winner received a bow & arrow set.

Then the winner was presented with a fishing charter that is being looked forward to with great enthusiasm.

Everyone is happy with the results. I would like to mention that William showed outstanding fortitude when his fish was displaced on the leader board. He told us that it was a team effort and everyone is on the same team.

It made Grandad very proud for his attitude and ability to show team-spirit.

Plans are being looked at for next year, as Albert will leave the Junior's and look to continue his fishing in the Senior Division.

The weather wasn't great but the fishing made for a great weekend, lots of fun, fishing and feasting.

Stay Tuned

David (Grandad) aka Superdad

Last edited by Superdad on Tue May 09, 2017 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:55 am 
Walleye Angler

Great post and pictures, congratulations to the boys

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:26 am 
Site Admin

David,
What a great day and experience for the boys and memories that will last a lifetime!

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:48 am 
Walleye Fry

David, Congratulations to your grandsons. The pictures look great!! You must be very proud.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:33 am 
Walleye Angler

Congrats Superdad, might want to change the name to super Granddad!!
Snarfy

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:00 am 
Walleye

Congrats SD - Great report as always - Your family will forever remember that weekend!!

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:15 am 
Walleye Angler

Dear David and all your boys. Congratulations on a wonderful weekend! We enjoyed watching the board and following the day through Pat. Great report and photos. This will be a hard weekend to top! Enjoy "the glow". baygirl and bayboy.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:23 am 
Walleye Fry

That's amazing! Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:30 am 
Jumbo Perch

Congrats to the boys! Love the photos.

Ian

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:28 pm 
Perch

nice pics....if you want to adopt an older kid(me) I am willing...would love to catch nice fish like that...

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:50 am 
Walleye

WOW,congrats all around,great post as usual.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:08 pm 
Walleye Master

Congrats that is awesome

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:32 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Fantastic :) Great Teaching

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:44 pm 
Walleye Master

Big congrats Superdad!!! I saw that names up there all weekend. I had my boys out Saturday evening and we couldn't find one to displace either of your boys. It wasn't for lack of trying. Good work and good fishing!!

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:12 pm 
Walleye Fry

Nice going congrats! You must be very proud of them! I will give those two spinners you gave me a good try in a local tournament on Lower Buckhorn this weekend.
Good Luck to all this spring!
Rob

banner ad