banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:14 pm 
Walleye

I got out just for a bit after work today in Trenton Bay. A friend of mine was castings a variety of cranks, and a spinner, with no luck. I tried a few cranks in between jigging with leeches, no luck on the crank but good action on the leeches. I only had a few of them left from a previous outing, and I kept losing them on some strong bites because I was leaving a lot of the leech dangle. Next time I'm going to try using a small trailer hook and I'm sure I'll have a lot better results. I caught 1 good eater walleye, another very small walleye, a little perch and 2 silver bass. A beauty evening regardless!

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:44 pm 
Walleye

Its a tough thing to do but when fishing with worms or leeches, when you feel a tap slack the line a little bit to let the fish take the whole bait in before setting the hook. When trolling when I feel a tap I slowly let my rod tip go back towards the back of the boat( about 2') then pull forward to set the hook. I dont like stingers with leeches...

Dan

teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Show him a fishing show, bore him to death...

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:31 pm 
Walleye

redmandant wrote:
Its a tough thing to do but when fishing with worms or leeches, when you feel a tap slack the line a little bit to let the fish take the whole bait in before setting the hook. When trolling when I feel a tap I slowly let my rod tip go back towards the back of the boat( about 2') then pull forward to set the hook. I dont like stingers with leeches...

Dan

I went out yesterday morning but picked up a few Northland Tackle Sting'r hook/trailer hooks and they made a HUGE difference. I will be using them from now on or tying my own to adjust for whatever length I want. I was using leeches, hooked it through the top with a short shank jig then ran a trailer hook about 3/4 of the way down the leech and just lightly ticked it into the surface of the leech. When the leech would get torn up after landing a few fish, I would just leave the stinger hook loose and it was still effective. Big Big difference.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:59 pm 
Walleye

Nicely done sir

teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Show him a fishing show, bore him to death...