Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:16 pm 
Minnow

I decided to make the run from Collins Bay this morning given great weather conditions and sorry state of the Quinte boat ramps. I felt a bit like I was playing Frogger on the way over avoiding all of the logs and other debris in the North Channel. Started trolling at Thompson Point and picked up a small 13 incher relatively quickly crossing toward Shermans. I made my way into Hay Bay and up towards Ram Island catching several perch and a couple more 13-14 inch walleye. There were at least 15 boats in the stretch just south of Ram, so I kept going past it. After catching nothing but perch in a half hour north of the island I decided to go back to the south side. Amazingly, there were only two boats there now! I fished a couple hours working back towards Thompson, and ended up with over twenty walleye landed. Most were in the 12-14 inch range, but three were in the 17 inch range, kept for the freezer. Had a nice chat with a couple OPP officers just as I was packing up to head back, and was amused to see a couple Bass boats come flying out of the deeper bay after they headed in there..

Here is my question for the Pros: As I was cruising back through the North Channel there were fish rising up everywhere. They were not jumping, just porpoising the same way a rainbow trout would take a fly on the surface in a small lake. The question is, what are these fish?

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:34 am 
Walleye Fry

Sounds like you had a good day out there. Bit of a run? Not a pro by no means lol but I seen some yesterday as well
and have seen them before towards the hydro plant. I believe they are Gar pike just cruising at the surface.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:42 am 
Walleye Master

Often you will find mayflies in walleye stomachs. It very could have been eyes. I've seen it before

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:50 am 
Walleye Wisdom

We seen a lot rising on the weekend also,while drifting and jigging seen the long bills on them so gar.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:58 am 
Minnow

Do you know if they're feeding on midges, or rising for some other reason?

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:53 am 
Walleye

The gar are surfacing because they can breathe air.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:25 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

If they are not gar, they could be common carp. Carp porpoise out of water at this time of year. Eaten over deep water. BATMAN

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:22 am 
Jumbo Perch

Could be carp - I remember many years ago when I didn't know that much - we were fishing for bass in June and saw these fish coming up to the surface - we would cast our plugs over at the spot hoping that the fish would take the lure - we did this for quite some time before realizing that whatever these fish were they weren't taking our lures - then finally a fish surfaced next to the boat - it was a big carp - felt kinda dumb for what we were doing - carp often eat stuff that is floating on the surface