Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Boat paint touch up
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:29 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Have a 7 yr old Princecraft that had some spots on the inside of the boat where the paint was starting to bubble. When the bubbles break there's a powdery oxidation underneath. Some of the spots were a couple of inches around.

I tried to call Princecraft, which I don't believe is possible so I finally sent them an email looking for my paint colour. They responded within a week. Mine was an Audi red (wish it had been Tremclad red) that's not available at CTC.

I called around and Benson and NAPA Kingston both mix paint and will put it in a spray can for you.

Benson is $40.00 a can and they can also mix a generous touch-up bottle with a shaker and brush for around $16.00.

NAPA was $31.00 a can but no touch-up bottles. Both of these cans are bigger than the CTC touch-up cans but neither go very far.

The NAPA paint is the same colour but dries much faster. Not sure why. I think the nozzle on the NAPA can is better than the Benson can.

I used an etching primer and sprayed the paint. It's not as easy as I would have thought. It takes numerous coats and the blending in is hard to do with all the bends and corners. Couldn't get at the spots with a buffer so all the wet sanding and rubbing compound was done by hand. The spots are covered but the paint doesn't blend in as I would have hoped. Certainly not as good as spraying the whole panel with a spray gun.

Also, needed some stainless fasteners. Marine Outfitters on 33 Hwy were by far the cheapest and have a good selection.

Hope this might be useful to someone.