Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:20 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:34 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I realize this is long winded but hoping this will give more insight to the potential and need...

Kingston has 280 km of shoreline with only 6 possible public boat launches. Most of these are either unusable for many reasons or inaccessible due to sailing events throughout the summer.

The City is in the process of engaging the public on what people would like to see developed at Belle Park, the golf course on Montreal St.

IMHO, this may be the last available land that may be suitable to develop sufficient launching areas with parking for recreational and competitive fishing. The latter of these help inject large amounts of money into the community and more importantly, promote the sport we all love.

Therefore, I am hoping that others feel the same and will reach out to the City, offering a recommendation to consider this option.

This is the link to the page for details on the project: https://www.cityofkingston.ca/city-hall/projects-construction/belle-park-ideas

I'm encouraging people to please sign up to receive updates, from the link within the Public Engagement page. This will ensure your notification of the forthcoming survey in July which will be important to complete to show the support from the fishing community. Without the support, this may not be added to the overall considerations for the development.

If you could also please take the time to email the Manager of Recreational Facilities, Adam McCluskey, he's very interested in receiving and reviewing these support letters and suggestions from us fishers.

Hey - we gotta try and this may be our last opportunity. :D

Below is the letter I've sent to him. Please feel free to copy, edit or draft your own to send to him @...

amccluskey@cityofkingston.ca

Dear Mr. McCluskey,

I am writing you to provide feedback on the future development of Belle Park.

As an avid recreational and competitive fisher, I feel that Kingston is lacking in opportunities to access the amazing waterways we have and as a result, are missing the potential revenue from the sport.

Statistically, fishing is the 5th most common outdoor activity by Canadian pleasure travelers, with Canadians spending on average, over $8 billion dollars a year and the 5th most often reason for taking a trip. In the past 2 years, 17.6% of adult Canadians went fishing while on an overnight trip of 1 or more nights. Clearly, this is a growing sport with a huge potential for economic impact that Kingston needs to embrace.

Kingston has 280 km of shore line within its boundary. However, only 6 boat launches are available and all have limitations including; parking, safety, inability to launch boats over a certain size; Lake Ontario Park which was recently renovated is a prime example of this, and costs to use. Availability to use is also an issue with Kingston hosting sailing events throughout the summer, eliminating the 2 best launches at POH.

I understand Kingston has been offered the opportunity to host many professional fishing tournaments. Although there have been events in the past, there are none slated for the 2017 season that I am aware of and the loss of the CSFL Kingston Canadian Bass Open is a huge disappointment. We have a world class fishery that would bring in many pros from across the Country as well as the US. The majority of these come for many days prior to the event to pre-fish with their families; injecting large amounts of money into our community and keeping them coming back.

Belleville Ontario is a prime example of a community recognizing the potential impact of tournaments. The main launch at George St is thriving and during events, many people come to watch and provide support. Their upcoming Berkley B1 3 day event, is expected to draw 150 boats with 300 anglers from across the Country, will provide National media attention and is expected to have an economic impact of more than $1 million for the City. This is only 1 event and Belleville will be hosting many of these throughout the summer.

Belle Park is one of the last opportunities Kingston may have to create a suitable location to allow recreational and competitive fishing. I am therefore suggesting that Kingston consider this area to include multiple boat launches, sufficient parking and concessions. It’s a beautiful location and along with providing event opportunities, could be designed with the consideration of keeping the natural environment and still provide suitable space for other sports and enjoyment.

Thanks,

banner ad