Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Re: SHAD
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:46 pm 
Minnow

The shad were still in big bay this morning and feisty - had a few hit my tail dancer around 8am or so.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:08 pm 
Minnow

Looks like a white perch my friend. Tons of those buggers in the bay

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:16 pm 
Minnow

Your totally right, for some reason I thought it was big gizzard shad. Well its a new species for me then, guess I should get use to them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:05 am 
Walleye Angler

Most likely my last report for you before you go. Was out Friday, got out around 11:30 PM and Alewife were everywhere, got a couple nice LM and a couple sheephead. Last night I headed out around 9:30 PM water was like glass and not an Alewife in sight. 3rd cast I landed myself a 3.5lb walleye and lost 2 more by 10 PM. Between 10:00 PM and 10:30 PM the Alewife started coming in and got thicker and thicker as the night progressed. Got a quick soaking in the rain and then took shelter in the car for 15 min while the lightning lit up the sky 8O. Headed back to the shore as the rain tapered off to a drizzle. Didn't get any more walleye but landed 3 LM (2lb, 3.5lb & a chunk at 5.5lb). Also broke My PB (14lb) for sheephead twice. First one was 31.5" at 16.7lb and then a second at 15.2lb! Had a great night overall, brought the walleye and the 2lb bass home for the family. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:44 pm 
Walleye

Wow, COMIT. sounds like a fun night fighting the sheepsheads alone. Great info. Thanks. Looks like we'll be trying to launch early evening and see what we can land in the boat before the alewives get thick. Maybe land a sheepshead or two if we're lucky. I'll post some info on Saturday morning.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:46 am 
Walleye Angler

Yes that bigger sheepie was the fight of a lifetime! I've caught lots of sheephead between 10 and 14lb, 14 this year alone but none of them put up a fight like this one. Usually they give up after a while and you drag them in, this one just kept going and going. Took half my line out before I even got it to turn. Soon as I got it 40feet from me it would go on another long run. Thought it was a giant pike until I saw it. Good luck this weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:09 am 
Walleye Angler

Same story last night shad free till late. Got 4 walleye (3 around a lb or less, 1@ around 3lb), 2 LM, and another PB sheepie. Didn't have the scale but somewhere in the low twenties! much bigger than the 16.7 from the other day. Just over 35" length and 27" girth. I'll post some pictures later.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:53 am 
Walleye Angler

Here's the pictures.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:50 pm 
Site Admin

That's a big tank of a sheepie. Lots fun!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:37 pm 
Walleye

REPORT: We launched from the Glenora Ferry on Thursday night around 9pm and worked the Marina shoreline for a few hours. Only managed one walleye the was around 2.5 lbs. The alewives were swimming around on the surface for a good portion of the night. They didn't seem that bad though. . The waters were a bit rough from the high winds. The weeds are high, which isn't good for our nighttime style of fishing, which is casting floaters and suspending lures. Called it a night around 1:00am. Got out on Friday morning and launched at the Church. Although the wooden dock isn't fastened to the concrete slab, we were able to launch no problem. Side note: Be careful because a good current could push you over the slab and damage the boat. We got a small walleye (2-3 lbs) and a few smaller
ones, which were tossed back. We landed a few sheepshead, some sunnies, a few white bass, and some perch. Fished from 9am-1:30pm. Choppy Waters and high winds but it was worth braving the elements. We went back out around 7:30 and tried throwing some floaters over the weeds with no luck. We switched it up to some deeper lures and trolled the shoreline. Landed a few BIG sheepsheads and got two more walleye in the boat. Called it quits by 11pm to get s rest and go at it again tomorrow. Will post some updates tomorrow night or Sunday morning.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:38 pm 
Walleye

No alewives were present on Friday night.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:38 am 
Walleye Angler

DanElliot wrote:
That's a big tank of a sheepie. Lots fun!

Soooo much fun! I posted that I estimated it in the low twenties but had some people say it was more like 30? :o Wish I had the scale with me. Anyone an expert and have thoughts on what this weighed? It actually got to the top of the list on recordfishincanada.com just over another that was posted this week that was 1.5" smaller @ 29.4lbs. Not getting on the ofah chart as I wasn't interested in killing this beast of a fish.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:19 pm 
Walleye

The shad/ale wives are mostly gone as of Saturday evening. The bite was on from 8-10pm and then it was all quiet. Throughout the entire trip, we managed to catch several different types of fish. Found the walleye to be rather small still (many between 6-12 inches). The hot spots for us were around the Church area and along the shoreline by the Marina (next to The Glenora Ferry). All in all our trip was enjoyable. Lookin forward to another trip in September. Thank you all for the info and feedback. Much appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:32 am 
Walleye

I have been getting interference on my hummingbird (old portable unit) to the point I was thinking I needed to replace it because there was something wrong, I am wondering if it was thick schools of shad.
the depth would change to 5-7 feet and I knew it was 20. this would happen in 10-15 second intervals and change back for about the same amount of time.
have not caught or seen any yet.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:05 pm 
Perch

SlowNSteady wrote:
I have been getting interference on my hummingbird (old portable unit) to the point I was thinking I needed to replace it because there was something wrong, I am wondering if it was thick schools of shad.
the depth would change to 5-7 feet and I knew it was 20. this would happen in 10-15 second intervals and change back for about the same amount of time.
have not caught or seen any yet.

Check your transducer connection...had problem with mine as well....spray some electrical contact cleaner and it should take care of the problem.

banner ad