Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:35 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: newbie tips
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:25 pm 
Baitfish

Hello internet fisherpeople:

This board is a tough place to get info if you are a newbie to the sport of BOQ walleye. There is a good reason for that. Once you start figuring out where the fish are you start running into other boats that already figured all this out long ago. I am still a relative newb / lurker here but I am willing to share what little I have figured out to date.

I can only speak to early spring and mid-summer patterns for the Upper Bay. I can't speak to the late fall trolling or ice fishing but hopefully that will change soon.

Early Spring for me is just bottom bouncers / worm harnesses trolled dead slow at the 20 foot contour line around current. Dead simple. Pattern doesn't matter much. I tie my own worm harnesses with silver beads, silver #4 colorado blades and 20LB mono (all cheap Chinese stuff) and it works fine. Copper color works fine florescent work fine. The walleye aren't picky as long as you put it in front of them slowly. Real worms work, gulp worms work, smoke power worms work. Real worms only catch more perch in my experience. If it is really cold the walleye might be biting short and light so set your hooks up accordingly.

Summer pattern for me is rocky shoals in 12-13 foot of water in the morning or evening or all day if there is a good wave break over the shoals. Figure out which way the wind is blowing and if it is blowing right onto the shoals that is where the fish are. For me I troll a perch rapala tail dancer around 12 foot right over the shoals or follow the 13 foot contour. If the fish are lazy I might drift and jig with a jighead/purple walleye grub over the shoals. Go easy on working the jig as the walleye are lazy. Lot of times they will pick it up and all you feel is a slight weight. Use braid on your jigging rig if you can. I don't think the BOQ walleye are picky at all about line. I don't think they are picky about anything. Put it in front of their nose at the right speed and they will bite.

For me the shoals I hit are Rush bar near Massasauga Point and the shoals in front of Point Anne. Usually there is a bunch of boats there so try to play nice.

So that is the little bit I have figured out so far. I have no problems limiting out most days. If you have any other info or tips please share. Good luck.

Post subject: Re: newbie tips
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:05 pm 
Site Admin

Hey,
Excellent post! Another thing you can do is anchor upwind of the shoals and cast to them with cranks. Sloooow retrieve usually works much better but it's something to experiment with. Thanks for sharing and send me a pm when you're looking for someone to fish with on the ice

Post subject: Re: newbie tips
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:24 pm 
Jumbo Perch

hey pm me or message me on instagram if you have it zberry_fishing! more than happy to share tips and spots with a new angler!