banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Potter Creek
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:45 pm 
Walleye

I just bought a kayak but don't have that much experience so therefore want to find some calm water to try.
Can I launch at Potter Creek area and does potter has launch area and do I need to carry my kayak to have a long walk to the launch area?
Anyone has more advise for calm area in Trenton or near Trenton area? I live in Mississauga and 2 hours drive is my maximum.

Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Potter Creek
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:58 am 
Walleye Wisdom

There is no real launch area at Potters Creek, but the creek it's self is 50 ft from the parking lot ,would be easy to put a kayak in,or the bay it's self is about 2-300 ft from parking lot.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:47 pm 
Walleye

Hi Wayne,

Thanks so much for your information. I looked at the google map I can't see the Creek or it maybe covered by the high tree. Is the Creek east of the parking and is it easy to paddle from the Creek the the main lake?

Thanks agai!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:35 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

East of parking lot and should be able to paddle to the bay or just put kayak in where creek joins the bay its a very short distance

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:45 am 
Walleye Angler

The question is, if you live in Mississauga, why do you want to make that kind of drive if you are not sure on the kayak as of yet? The bay can change and can get windy. If you are not that familiar with it yet and how it will handle, might I suggest going up to Mountsberg Conservation area near Milton. It's a resevoir, has lots of pike and bass if you want to fish, but also not prone to the wind and waves the bay can get, and it's only a half hour. There is also fairy lake in Acton- for bass, heck, you could go to the grand river as well. having grown up in Mississauga, there are a number of smaller lakes and rivers you could try and become more comfortable in the kayak. As an avid kayaker and kayak angler, it's best to know how your yak will handle, how it feels, it's tipping point, how it tracks before driving 2 hrs in traffic and having things go badly. Start locally is my best advise.

Stay safe.

"I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:52 am 
Walleye

The reason I want to go back to Trenton is Trenton gave me lots of memories back to 25 yrs ago and I remember not much current back to that time.
I am getting old now and people get into certain age, they want to get some memory back.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:36 pm 
Jumbo Perch

potters creek would be good for a kayak for sure! could also try the trent river itself on a calm day

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:11 pm 
Walleye Angler

Try Turtle's Point (Bain Park). You'll have to drag your yak about 100 feet.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:33 am 
Walleye

the bay is very unkind to kayakers sometimes. If I were you I'd instead go to Mounstberg Conservation area in the 401/hwy 25 area. Great pike and bass fishing and pretty calm water. Only about 7-8 feet for most of it too. Get your proverbial feet wet there, then expand once you're more comfortable. Bay of Quinte is almost big water.

banner ad