Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:12 pm 
Walleye

Exception to Zone 20 Regulation: Two lines may be used when angling from a boat in open water

If someone use two lines at trenton or Quinte West area using a canoe, is it illegal to use two lines?

Thanks in advance for your input!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:05 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

For two lines, there's some exclusions in FMZ 20. The Bay of Quinte west of Glenora Ferry is only one line. The some of the bays and lakes around Prince Edward are also one line.

Best to pull it up for yourself http://files.ontario.ca/environment-and ... nglish.pdf

If you get it wrong, I'm sure the MNR will show you the errors of your ways.

Good luck

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:06 pm 
Walleye

yes, definitely illegal.

FMZ 20 two lines is for lake ontario only, and as that pertains to Bay of Quinte which is in essence connected, it only applies to waters east of the glenorra ferry...the regulations state waters west of the ferry are excluded from using 2 lines.

Now, if you wanted to go to Hay Bay and drop 2 lines in, you could argue that you're technically
a) east of the glenorra ferry
b) in the bay of quinte
c) in FMZ 20

Unless there's a more clearly worded exclusion, I think you'd have a good case in court. However the spirit of the law refers to any waters inland of the Glenorra Ferry which would in my mind also include Hay Bay and thus exclude fishermen in it from using 2 lines.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:10 am 
Walleye Angler

Unchained wrote:
yes, definitely illegal.

FMZ 20 two lines is for lake ontario only, and as that pertains to Bay of Quinte which is in essence connected, it only applies to waters east of the glenorra ferry...the regulations state waters west of the ferry are excluded from using 2 lines.

Now, if you wanted to go to Hay Bay and drop 2 lines in, you could argue that you're technically
a) east of the glenorra ferry
b) in the bay of quinte
c) in FMZ 20

Unless there's a more clearly worded exclusion, I think you'd have a good case in court. However the spirit of the law refers to any waters inland of the Glenorra Ferry which would in my mind also include Hay Bay and thus exclude fishermen in it from using 2 lines.

I'd have to agree with this, Hay Bay and also Deseronto to Napanee waters are clearly east, if they wanted to include the entire BOQ they should just say the BOQ or waters north of the Glenora ferry.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:38 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Remember, you could be making that argument in front of a Justice of the Peace.

I can assure you, that when your standing front and center in court the argument you wish to make, won't seem as sensible as it appears to be in this post.

Have fun.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:47 pm 
Walleye Angler

Roblin wrote:
Remember, you could be making that argument in front of a Justice of the Peace.

I can assure you, that when your standing front and center in court the argument you wish to make, won't seem as sensible as it appears to be in this post.

Have fun.

I have no use for 2 rods myself as I don't troll but I think it would be quickly thown out of a court. Funny thing is I'm on the Glenora ferry right now with GPS map open on phone and that area is in no way West. Someone should check with the ministry for clarification. They make ajustments to the writin rules all the time and this must have come up in the past so if it is questionable changing it to North of the Glenora ferry would make it clear. All the other exceptions are clear so I don't understand why they would say West if they don't mean only West.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:24 pm 
Walleye Angler

I sent the question to someone in the MNRF and received the following:

"Thank you for the question, other anglers have also asked the same thing.

The short answer is - anglers can only use 1 line in the upper Bay of Quinte (unless ice fishing). The line between the upper and lower Bay of Quinte is the Glenora Ferry.

The Ontario Fishery Regulations, 2007 (SOR/2007-237) - which in part, is what the Ontario Fishing Summary is based on, says in Part 4 Section 7 for FMZ20: one line only in the Bay of Quinte lying west of the Glenora Ferry to the western entrance of the Murray Canal

Here is the link to the actual regulations http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regu ... .html#h-27"

to keep anyone for searching here is the actual link to part that is about 2 lines:
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regu ... ora#sched4

Even after reading the full regulations it still reads the same as the summary. I replied suggesting it be amended to avoid future confusion: "By reading them anyone would assume the bays I mentioned (Hay Bay, Bygotts Bay, Carnachan Bay and Mohalk Bay) are not part of the exclusion. By drawing a line to the north from the either port of the Glenora ferry these specific spots are all east and could be easily challenged. This should clearly be amended to say "all waters North of the Glenora ferry path to the western entrance of the Murray Canal" if that is what it is to be interpreted as."

My opinion is to just use one line beyond the ferry ports unless you are a lawyer and up for a personal challenge. If you are let us know how that goes :D .

banner ad