banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:57 am 
Walleye

Last minute the wife says it's such a nice day lets go fishing. We pack up and head out for hopefully some bass action. Throwing a green and yellow spinner bait I pull in a 4 pound pike on the second cast followed a few casts later by a very aggressive hammer handle. Soon after I get a hit, miss the hook set and when I reel in the skirt is almost off the spinner bait. Not one to back down from a challenge like that I fix the skirt and throw right back into the same spot, bang it gets smashed. Got a good hook set and as soon as I start to reel I tell the wife to get her camera ready this is large. After a good fight I get a pike about 8 - 10 lbs to the surface. Look around, forgot the net, grab the line it thrashes and I realize there's stitches in my future if I try this so I lift and watch the biggest pike of the year flip off and disappear with my spinner bait still in it's mouth. Check my setup and realize that my swivel, which as been on this rod way too long opened up. We all no the rules, check your tackle regularly for wear, especially pike fishing and most of all make sure to take all your gear with you. Only good thing about this story is I had a witness.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:23 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Great to catch a nice fish. Too bad you didn't get to hold it.

I had taken my boat apart to clean it and forgot to but my net back in.

Drove an hour to the launch before I realized it. Definitely sucks.

I was out fishing with a friend and he decided to change lures. We were yapping pretty good.

He was telling me about the virtues of the lure he was putting on and how many fish he had caught with it.

He then threw it into the water without tying it on his line.

Stuff happens.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:38 am 
Walleye Angler

Ice fishing a couple years ago... tied a new lure on, cut off the excess line, dropped lure in the hole and watched it sink. Cut the wrong side of the line, oops. A few weeks back clipped on a Rapala crank, hooked into a small bass on the first cast, it jumped and then I reeled in a loose line. Clip either opened or not closed up properly. Bye bye lure. They say measure twice, cut once. When fishing it is tie once, check twice...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:57 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

ice fishing last year my line hit my heater twice, lure gone. Put on another lure and kept bouncing it off the bottom.

Managed to get my lures back.

Lucky. Smartened up and moved my heater.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:14 am 
Walleye

Glad to hear others have senior moments too. I used my needle nose pliers to get the hooks out of a pike. Kept the pike and threw the pliers over the side of the boat. Then released the pike.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:59 pm 
Site Admin

skeet544 wrote:
Glad to hear others have senior moments too. I used my needle nose pliers to get the hooks out of a pike. Kept the pike and threw the pliers over the side of the boat. Then released the pike.

That's funny!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:00 am 
Walleye

That reminds me: my bro was a kid and my dad's friend was telling him about this new flashlight he'd bought that floats and sez to him, "Hey, watch this, it floats" and dropped it overboard. It sank outta sight.

The expression on the guy's face was priceless

banner ad