banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:42 pm 
Walleye

Hey everyone!
Silly question but I've been looking all over google for answers but I don't think I've found any help. So...I thought I would ask the pros of the Quinte area and see if they could give me some help!

I have a baitcaster - been using it all summer. But just this morning, I started running into some issues.
I have it spooled with 40# braid, but I have about 30-40 yards of mono backing on it.

A handful of times I was reeling the line in, about to cast and line would just slip out of my reel. At first I thought I must have been pressing the casting button, but after it happened 5 or 6 times this morning, I wasn't sure what was happening.

I didn't think it would be slipping with the mono backing on it. My drag is set tight.
Does it have something to do with the cold weather?

Any advice would be much appreciated as to what is happening and if I need to fix anything.
Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:50 pm 
Minnow

I am no expert but it sounds like it is your anti-reverse. I had that problem on one of my bait casters last fall. I found one article that said it may have been the lubrication I put on the reel. When it warmed up this year it stopped doing it and hasn't done again since. I chalked it up to the cold weather.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:41 pm 
Walleye

Nighttroller wrote:
I am no expert but it sounds like it is your anti-reverse. I had that problem on one of my bait casters last fall. I found one article that said it may have been the lubrication I put on the reel. When it warmed up this year it stopped doing it and hasn't done again since. I chalked it up to the cold weather.

I appreciate the input. Is it a matter of just cleaning the bearing? Should I replace it all together?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:49 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I'm not a pro either.

I've used braid for years and never seen what your describing. I use a mono backing and after a couple of wraps on the spool it never slipped.

I'm thinking that your spool must be disengaging somehow and free wheeling.

I agree with Nighttroller. There should be a Youtube video on how to clean and lube your reel.

If it's mechanical, then you have to decide if you want to put money into your reel.

Good luck

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:14 pm 
Goby

It sounds like your anti-reverse or lack of lubrication not your bearings. Give this guy a call Kevin, The Reel Garage fishing reel service and repair
(613) 403-6176 or facebook. He's good can fix anything and he's just in Foxboro. Good luck

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:55 pm 
Walleye

legend 179 wrote:
It sounds like your anti-reverse or lack of lubrication not your bearings. Give this guy a call Kevin, The Reel Garage fishing reel service and repair
(613) 403-6176 or facebook. He's good can fix anything and he's just in Foxboro. Good luck

Thanks! I might do that!

banner ad