Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:40 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Motor dilemna
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:14 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Hi All;

I have been at odds trying to decide what combination of motors to put on a new proV i have coming. Thought i would put this out here to see if anyone else has some experience or suggestions.

option 1
Evinrude G2 200 HP 540 lbs
Evinrude 15 HO Kicker 188 lbs

*** 711 lbs too much weight for the transom, 690 max, could go with a 9.9 evinrude (tohatsu) at 94 lbs which would drop the weight to within reason, but it is classified as a "portable" motor, not a kicker.

option 2
Evinrude G2 200 HP 540 lbs
yamaha T9.9 HT 114 lbs

***654 lbs acceptable for transom, heard the T9.9 HT was rock solid.

option 3
Yamaha SHO 175 489 lbs
Yamaha t9.9 HT 114 lbs

*** 603 lbs, lightest of the bunch, but must be winterized unlike the Evinrudes ( i get the 2 stroke oil to winterizing accounting)

It would obviously be easier if there was the same make on the back for both for maintenance. I have also weighed Honda and Suzuki, but these pairs i am leaning towards. Most of the portable non-kicker motors seem to be missing those "kicker" features such as RPM dialing in and remote capabilities. Not only this but they don't have the heavy duty mount plate for the pounding they may take on open water.

any thoughts or opinions on this ? Bay Marine is doing the boat, but doesn't do Yamaha... but they do Evinrude, but the evinrude is too heavy. Yamaha only for both mains and kicker could be done by J P marine

thanks All

Post subject: Re: Motor dilemna
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:49 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I don't have your motor dilemma but I do have a 2018 Yamaha F50. Great motor. Hate to say it, but I like it better than my Honda.

If your interested in a Yamaha, it might be worth getting a price from Kirk at Tweed Lawn and Sport. They had the best price I could find.

Great guy's to deal with. Very good service counter.

Good luck with your boat.

Roblin.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:40 am 
Walleye Angler

When did Bay Marine stop doing Yamaha?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:46 am 
Walleye

I have a Yamaha F115 and a Yamaha F9.9 on my boat and they have been the most reliable motors I have ever owned. I don't think you'd be disappointed with a pair of Yamaha's on the back.

Kevin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:51 am 
Walleye Catcher

Thanks for the inputs guys. I was talking to the rep the other day about my rig and he said they stopped selling Yamaha 2 weeks ago. I am still waiting on confirmation if they will actually "sneak" this one in for me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:07 pm 
Walleye

If you got the money Yamaha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:43 pm 
Walleye Catcher

I recently just bought a bran new boat myself and we were on the same page to either go ervinrude or Yamaha. Basically what the sells rep told us was. You can’t not beat a Yamaha but at the same page if something happens to it there more money to fix parts wise and travel mostly to find a retailer to make the fix.
My opinion would be if you are close and do have the cash to maybe go Yamaha to keep things the same or go the G2 way and possibly save you some cash down the road if need be

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:34 pm 
Walleye Catcher

First off, a 'disclaimer:' over the past 21 years we've bought roughly TEN combos of boats, motors 'n trailers, (packaged, and/or separate purchases) from Justin and Paul at J & P here in Belleville. We consider them 'Family', and suspect the feeling is mutual. Justin even knows where our 'Hide-a-key' is for the House!~

Most recent buy was two months ago: 2017 Smoker Craft 182xl Pro Angler w/115 Yammy, plus a 'Kicker' - a 70 lb. thrust MinnKota Power Drive trolling motor w/Co-Pilot remote board. Usual mode of operation: power out of the lift to wherever the fish are, then spend the day trolling with the electric (speeds up to 3 mph). One recent Summer we ran the entire Season on a single tank of gas for the o.b.

Point of all this blabbering is: YAMAHA simply cannot be beat, or matched, for Reliability, Performance per pound, and Simplicity of use. For example: 'Winterizing' simply means 'fogging' the engine before storage.

That last option of yours would be MORE than adequate for any type of fishing you'd do in these parts, and if you're LOCAL, the Dealer is obvious. These are great guys, and they sell great motors. Over the 21 years, we have NOT had Problem One with any of those motors. NONE!

Rgds, Wordpecker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:57 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Well the yamaha options are looking pretty nice. I talked with Yamaha dealer and the SHO / T9 HT combo is pretty pricey, but not any different than the G2/15 HO.

The G2/15HO is 710-720 lbs though together. My transom is rated for 690 lbs !? wonder if this combo would void my warranty or is just a "best performance" number ?

TIA
B

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:47 pm 
Walleye

another thing to consider is the 10 year warranty the G2 is going to come with, I'm not 100% sure but just from the website it looked like Yamaha was 3 years but don't quote me on that its a bit difficult to decipher. and when you look at your Yamaha weights does that include power steering? I'm pretty sure the G2 posted weights include power steering because its build right in. I don't own a G2 or a Yamaha but it hard to ignore the 10 year warranty and 5 year or 500hrs no maintenance and ease of winterization with the G2. I wouldn't think 21lbs over the posted 690 max would be a big issue but I guess that's a question for your dealer and the Lund transom warranty. I have a Suzuki and love it!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:14 pm 
Baitfish

What size of pro-v are u getting. I have just installed the 200 g2 on the back of my 1875 pro-v along with the evinrude 6hp. The little 6 has plenty of power to push it for me. I use my trolling motor in the front to do all the steering. I troll for salmon around 2.5-3 mph and no issues. Just if your concerned about weight.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:29 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Mine is an 1875 ProV as well with G2 200 and BRP 15HP HO kicker. Puts the weight over 720 lbs on the transom.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:34 pm 
Walleye Catcher

well... leaning towards the G2 200 / 15 HO. I seen one with a 175 G2 and 15 HO, pretty nice setup ! this was on a Lund Crossover, hard to pass up. Does anyone run the max HP on their boat plus a kicker that is over the max transom weight ? I have *heard* that the max transom weight might be the mains only and that the boat makers that do walleye boats assume you are going to put a kicker on it...

TIA
B

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:29 am 
Walleye

you got a Lund bud best toughest boats on the market things are a tank I got 250hp Verado and a 9.9 kicker all good.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:38 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Thanks Hookemhard, i was going to update this just in case anyone else has this issue. I scoured the internet but couldn't find much info on Max transom weights and kickers. After many weeks of searching/talking/calling i did manage to find another person that had a crossover installed at max HP and will be going to the 188 lb kicker 15HO. Their marine service center said they do it all the time, no worries.

On top of that, i called Lund directly (new york mills MN) and got a manager. He stated that the transoms are now composite and can hold a ton of weight and said nothing to worry about. The proV planes quickly so more weight on the back is ok. He also said they were recently discussing within to update their tags on the boats with updated weights as they are always changing, and to reflect the composite Transoms now on lunds.

thanks for all the responses !

banner ad