Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:23 pm 
Walleye Angler

I have a helix 7 G2 SI and it has the newest humminbird update on it for ice mode.
I have always used my Vexlar FL22HD and love it, but the screen isn't bright enough so i was going to keep it and get the Ice55 which i tried and really liked.

But then I thought about just using my Helix.

My only concern is how real time it is. The best thing about flashers is that it shows your lure move the instant you move it, with no delay at all.

My question is: does anybody know if the helix G2 series fish finders have any delay to them? Have you used this unit ice fishing before?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:39 pm 
Walleye Angler

I can't help with your question but you might want to also ask the folks at Radio World.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:03 pm 
Walleye Master

When you say the screen isn't bright enough, do you mean during sunlight or low light conditions?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:07 pm 
Walleye Angler

Too dark during the day when I'm put of the hut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:06 am 
Walleye Master

Google making a sun shield

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:31 pm 
Perch

bubblebuster wrote:
I have a helix 7 G2 SI and it has the newest humminbird update on it for ice mode.
I have always used my Vexlar FL22HD and love it, but the screen isn't bright enough so i was going to keep it and get the Ice55 which i tried and really liked.

But then I thought about just using my Helix.

My only concern is how real time it is. The best thing about flashers is that it shows your lure move the instant you move it, with no delay at all.

My question is: does anybody know if the helix G2 series fish finders have any delay to them? Have you used this unit ice fishing before?

I have had a lot of humminbird units - new helix units are great for ice fishing. I was using helix 5 with no issues. There is no delay even with my old 597 or 797 birds.
Strongly recommend helix.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:40 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

I've used Helix 9 gen 1 last winter.
I did not notice any delays.

Once I see fish coming close to my lure I mostly focused on the tip of my rod.
At this moment I try to keep the same lure presentation.
Yes I periodically look into the screen to see fish reaction.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:04 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Bubble buster, If you have the latest Helix ICE 7 the flasher mode is instant according to its specs. I flasher mode you also get color changes depending on how close fish are to center line of transducer. This is very similar to your Vexilar. The latest Helix apparently has one of the brightest screens on the market.

Keep in mind that the Helix would eat up you Battery compared to the Vexilar that could run for two 8hr days on one battery. I use a Vexilar FL20. I find the screen bright even in bright light. I also prefer the FL20 because it can be used for Splake and Lake Trout that are often in water greater than 60 ft. Your FL22 cannot read depths greater than 60 feet.

Sounds like you should try the Helix this winter. It has a lot of cool ice fishing features.

Good Luck
BATMAN

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:41 am 
Baitfish

If you want to use HB's traditional sonar on your Helix turn the RTS window on and put it in A-Scope mode. Then turn your speed up to 10 or Ultra. RTS stands for Real Time Sonar. It's the freshest data. Trust me it's the same data your flasher gives you with the addition of history along side it. You won't be disappointed. I tend to be a very good source on Humminbird units. Been running them for many years. Whatever other questions you have ask away.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:48 am 
Baitfish

BATMAN wrote:
Keep in mind that the Helix would eat up you Battery compared to the Vexilar that could run for two 8hr days on one battery. I use a Vexilar FL20. I find the screen bright even in bright light. I also prefer the FL20 because it can be used for Splake and Lake Trout that are often in water greater than 60 ft. Your FL22 cannot read depths greater than 60 feet.

Sounds like you should try the Helix this winter. It has a lot of cool ice fishing features.

Your HELIX will take up more battery than your Vexilar, but it does SO MUCH MORE than a Vex. A 9ah 12v battery should last you all day with no issues. Some people run 7ah 12v batteries and they work fine for flashers, but I'd recommend the 9ah. Also, you don't need the screen on Brightness mode 10. Especially, in a hut. I find I usually turn mine down to 5, and it's still very easy to see.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:42 am 
Walleye

Don't forget to do the 1.540 software update on your HELIX.
It has flasher updates in the total update.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:19 pm 
Walleye Angler

Thank you all for all the great answers! I now look forward to trying out the Helix this winter!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:23 pm 
Walleye Angler

Yankee Troller wrote:
If you want to use HB's traditional sonar on your Helix turn the RTS window on and put it in A-Scope mode. Then turn your speed up to 10 or Ultra. RTS stands for Real Time Sonar. It's the freshest data. Trust me it's the same data your flasher gives you with the addition of history along side it. You won't be disappointed. I tend to be a very good source on Humminbird units. Been running them for many years. Whatever other questions you have ask away.

Yankee Troller I hear there there is a new ice ducer for the humminbirds called XI9 1521. I was told that it only works with the G2 Helix's and it gives the Chirp capability to the transducer. Is that true? How does it compaire to the previouse XI9 20?

banner ad