Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rookie BOQ ice angler
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:17 pm 
Baitfish

Hey guys me and a few friends are looking to come up to the BOQ for a try for walleye this winter, we are looking at the early season when ice is first available (we have heard it's our best chance for quantity) we are coming from east of Kingston so thinking something the east end of the bay (napanee, deseronto, picton.). We are avid ice angles mostly jumbo perch, pike and crappie. We have caught walleye in the Ottawa direction and have fished the BOQ several times for walleye by boat but never on the ice. We have a portable clam shelter heater gear etc..

We are wondering should we

- rent a hut for a day and just show up and fish
- find someone who can point us in the right direction with our own gear

I'm okay with either, this being our first time on new ice and bigger ice I'd prefer not going out there blind just from purely a safety stand point. Open to anyone's opinion or advice, if your ever out by gananoque I can steer you to some great jumbo perch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:22 pm 
Walleye Angler

Spots aren't hard to find you just have to have a look around for the small villages on the ice from majority of launches..Theres lots of differant locations in the east end to head out from. Just have a look at the old posts lots of useful info. Just keep in mind the ice can b sketchy we always spud our way out no matter how many guys are out.. I wouldn't bother with a hut/guide service if you guys are already set up n have experience on ice although you might have better luck getting on the fish quicker going the rental route...hope lil info helped u out a bit good luck

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:25 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I would re post when we start getting ice.theres alot of current on quinte be carefull.i would say you will have a hard time finding someone who will tell you theres safe ice around as for many people do not want to tell you theres safe ice and have you fall through.you will be able to tell when guys aee on the ice in certain spots and go from there.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:31 am 
Site Admin

Ditto on what Kevin said. Many are reluctant to share ice conditions until the ice is really in which over the past couple of seasons has been iffy at best. You mentioned you have portable huts, heaters gear, ect I assume in that gear you each have a spud? if not get one! A spud is absolutely a must when learning Quinte on early season ice. Welcome aboard and hopefully you have a safe and successful season

banner ad