Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Flotation Suit
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:16 pm 
Walleye Catcher

TheLandshark wrote:
It's a good looking suit, I've never seen them before. Is it a floater? No chance that I would pay 500 for it.

Yes its a floater suit ,every suit I have looked at is around $ 500.00 .

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:25 pm 
Perch

I bought mine 2-3 years ago via online. Mustang one piece flotation suit. Very comfortable. For little over $500.
But found similar mustang flotation suits that sells at Sail in Oshawa for similar price. I think you can’t go wrong with Mustang. (My first suit though)
In my opinion one piece is true flotation suit.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:10 pm 
Site Admin

The climate suit is too much for me. I'm looking at the predator suit. Something lighter than the climate suit but still floats and keeps me warm

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:35 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Hey Dan, the climate is great as you can remove the liners, the inner coat is great in the fall as well. I usually have to take the coat off when i'm in the hut anyway as it gets warm with the heater. Guess if your really cold in the predator you can add long johns....lol

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:48 pm 
Walleye

I'm looking at the Striker Guardian. Not the warmest it seems, but I like to layer anyway. I am thinking of either ordering from their website or from Bass Pro US site. My only worry is sizing, as returns will be a pain in the butt!

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:03 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Darren from what I hear the guardian is almost like a shell. Look around as I have noticed there can be a big jump in prices from store to store and shipping. I had mine shipped to the border on cyber monday and just drove over to pick it up as I am in Kingston. If you are close I can let you try my Striker climate, it is an xl.
Tim

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:36 pm 
Walleye Catcher

There a place in Alberta I found they want $880 plus shipping for the climate suit that more the i want to spend they are a nice suit ,wish they were cheaper. :( :(

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:18 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Charlie 699 at fishingworld.ca in Hamilton

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:25 pm 
Walleye Master

I have the Mustang Integrity HX 1 piece suit. I would recommend this suit for guys that fish outside. It is really warm. The floatation foam is soft so the suit is not stiff and you don't have to break it in. Great for fall fishing also. The wrists, knees and ankles have velcro straps to limit water flowage if you ever go under. $569 at Sail

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:12 pm 
Walleye Angler

I bought the Mustang Integrity flotation suit and have used it a lot for 7 seasons. This year I am buying the Striker Climate. The reason why i am getting rid of the one piece suit is because you sweat like crazy in it when you walk. I used to only fish Quinte but now that quinte doesn't really get ice anymore, i only fish back lakes for trout. Walking into those back lakes in a one piece is murder. Your legs are slightly restricted in the one piece and you don't notice it, utill you've walked 2 km into a lake.
I am getting the Climate because i must be able to take the liners out and the jacket off and put that all in the sled so when i walk in the lake, i can put it all back on and stay super warm when fishing. You can't do that with the one piece.
I hate the one piece because it does not breath at all, it has very few pockets, you cant really take the top off when you are in the hut and you get soaking wet with sweat. even with under armor your suit needs to get dried out every day just from all your sweat. i don;t know how i went 7 years wearing that..never again lol.
If you are not going to walk at all the floating suit is fine for the most part, but if you are going to walk then a good 2 piece is best for sure.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:54 pm 
Walleye Master

bubblebuster wrote:
I bought the Mustang Integrity flotation suit and have used it a lot for 7 seasons. This year I am buying the Striker Climate. The reason why i am getting rid of the one piece suit is because you sweat like crazy in it when you walk. I used to only fish Quinte but now that quinte doesn't really get ice anymore, i only fish back lakes for trout. Walking into those back lakes in a one piece is murder. Your legs are slightly restricted in the one piece and you don't notice it, utill you've walked 2 km into a lake.
I am getting the Climate because i must be able to take the liners out and the jacket off and put that all in the sled so when i walk in the lake, i can put it all back on and stay super warm when fishing. You can't do that with the one piece.
I hate the one piece because it does not breath at all, it has very few pockets, you cant really take the top off when you are in the hut and you get soaking wet with sweat. even with under armor your suit needs to get dried out every day just from all your sweat. i don;t know how i went 7 years wearing that..never again lol.
If you are not going to walk at all the floating suit is fine for the most part, but if you are going to walk then a good 2 piece is best for sure.

I agree with you 100% that the one piece suit does make you sweat, but it is definitely the better option if you go through the ice or into the lake from your boat. Once I'm confident the ice is safe where I'm going I usually just leave the front zipper down while I'm walking and setting up, or I just stop wearing it. I typically don't fish outside, so I don't really need the suit for warmth. I guess picking the right suit to fit your needs would be the best option.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:27 pm 
Walleye

Tylercurt wrote:
Darren from what I hear the guardian is almost like a shell. Look around as I have noticed there can be a big jump in prices from store to store and shipping. I had mine shipped to the border on cyber monday and just drove over to pick it up as I am in Kingston. If you are close I can let you try my Striker climate, it is an xl.
Tim

Thanks for the offer. I considered what you said and just pulled the trigger on the Striker Ice Predator (compromise between the two). I ordered from "The Fishin' Hole" and it shipped today. Can't wait!

Darren

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:09 pm 
Site Admin

Darren,
i came to the same conclusion. The predator seems like a good compromise and with the vents easy to cool off on the fly when lugging a hut on the snow and can use it in the boat for late fall fishing too.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:24 pm 
Walleye Master

DanElliot wrote:
Darren,
i came to the same conclusion. The predator seems like a good compromise and with the vents easy to cool off on the fly when lugging a hut on the snow and can use it in the boat for late fall fishing too.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:25 pm 
Walleye Master

Been using the Predator Ice suit for the past 3 seasons... Spring , Fall and Winter suit all wrapped up into one.. Great purchase !!! Congrats!

banner ad
banner ad