Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:39 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: ice auger
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:17 pm 
Guppy

my auger died on me today. Canadian Tire has one on sale . Rapala pro-select nitro 43 cc...$450...is this a good deal? any advise would be awesome. Thx

Post subject: Re: ice auger
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:38 pm 
Guppy

Might be cheaper to fix the old one what's wrong with it?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:53 pm 
Guppy

i was using a 18 volt cordless drill with clam converter thing.... burnt out the drill, and i found it didn't really have the power for the ice.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:27 pm 
Guppy

Gotcha I thought it was a gas auger that wouldn't run or something. I always wondered about those cordless drills on an auger I guess that's the long term results.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:03 am 
Jumbo Perch

No worries with the K-Drill. The auger was designed for a powerful cordless.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:10 am 
Walleye

K Drill is the way to go. Super light weight and razor sharp blades. I use it with a 20 volt dewalt drill on low speed. You can punch holes all day on a single battery.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:01 pm 
Walleye Angler

Forget the gas auger. Power drills are the way to go. Get a good quality lightly used hammer drill on kajiji. I wouldn't spend the extra money on the K drill auger either. I use the strikemaster lazer 8" (exact same as the Finn bore 3) and I can drill holes faster than anyone with my dewalt xr 20 volt brushless motor drill. It's got over 700 pounds of torque and a 4:00 amp hour battery which I can use to drill dozens of holes through a foot of ice on One battery. The hammer drill is good with the handle it comes with. But obviously you're not going to use it on the hsmmer drill setting. Only one word of caution they can be very dangerous cuz they are so powerful my girlfriend broke her thumb on my drill last winter and there's been a few times that I've caught the ice and his twisted my forearms to the point where it felt like there was a lot of pressure on them. The clam adapter would definitely be a good safety piece to use but as long as you're careful I don't think you need it.
I also burned out 2 drills before learning you have to have a GOOD drill. Just because it's 18 volts, doesn't mean it's a good drill. Needs a lot of torque

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:43 pm 
Walleye Angler

I have that auger, the first one I got was a bit of a lemon it had a few things go wrong after 1 season but to rapalas credit they replaced it with a brand new one that is on season 4 now I believe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:56 pm 
Guppy

Always prefer a gas powered auger , more reliable , just need gas and a spark. Seen electric units cash and burn all the time. If you are using a high powered drill to drive the auger guess it works and can be more reliable. Think the noise of the gas powered auger brings fish in.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:17 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

CPV wrote:
Always prefer a gas powered auger , more reliable , just need gas and a spark. Seen electric units cash and burn all the time. If you are using a high powered drill to drive the auger guess it works and can be more reliable. Think the noise of the gas powered auger brings fish in.

Them there are fighting words.....lol
My Strikemaster Electra 12000 is either on its 9th or 10th season and works like a charm. I have never had an issue with it and the only cost to me so far was a battery that I choose to change out last year since the original battery was only cutting approx 20 holes before charge. That was the original battery that came with the auger. Total investment for the battery $27.00 at Custom Carts Trenton. Oh and one other cost was back in Jan. 2014 when I bought new blades, what a waste they are still here on my desk in a package $44.00
did not need them to be changed it was a loose blade. Tightened and the original are still deadly sharp. I hole hop and I just watch where I drill.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:19 pm 
Baitfish

I have the Rap. 33cc and it works very well, even on last years gas lol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:22 pm 
Walleye Angler

Spend the money on a really good drill and u have multiple uses for it all year round

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:00 pm 
Walleye

I have had the Rapala Nitro 43cc auger for 5 years now and it has never failed, starts great in cold weather and drills ice like a dream

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:25 pm 
Baitfish

The best $17 i have ever spent eas on the drill adapter for the hand auger. Been using my 18 volt dewalt for 3 yrs with it with not an issue. Powers thru ice no problem at all

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:38 pm 
Goby

JubesMoose wrote:
The best $17 i have ever spent eas on the drill adapter for the hand auger. Been using my 18 volt dewalt for 3 yrs with it with not an issue. Powers thru ice no problem at all

How many holes are you getting? I started using mine this year, older ni-cad dewalt on 8" eskimo. In the 12" or so of ice we have now I've been getting about a hole to two with a battery.

banner ad