Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: ice auger
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:01 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

gas all the way and its a good auger iam on 6 years now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:50 pm 
Baitfish

I take both batteries and have never ran out of battery. Young lad and i did a bit of run and gun yesterday. I never changed batteries and i drilled 15 holes. With 3 being in the afternoon at the donks. We never moved from our afternoon holes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:46 pm 
Walleye

kevin booth wrote:
gas all the way and its a good auger iam on 6 years now.

I’m with you. I have a 2 stroke Eskimo. It has a techmseuh engine. Use good high octane gas. Try to find some with no ethanol. Use good mix as well. But what I do is at the end of the year I empty all the gas out of the tank and carb and put some fogging oil in it. Good to go for the next season.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:42 pm 
Walleye Angler

Digem1 wrote:
JubesMoose wrote:
The best $17 i have ever spent eas on the drill adapter for the hand auger. Been using my 18 volt dewalt for 3 yrs with it with not an issue. Powers thru ice no problem at all

How many holes are you getting? I started using mine this year, older ni-cad dewalt on 8" eskimo. In the 12" or so of ice we have now I've been getting about a hole to two with a battery.

lol that sounds about right. well you should still get 5 or 6 holes. those old ni-cad 18 volt dewalts are not good for this application. Get a good drill with lithium ion 18 to 20 v. Look at the amp hours on the battery. Get one that is at least 4 amp hours. I have a 4 amp hour battery on my 20 V dewalt and can do about 20 holes or so with one battery in 12" of ice with 8" strike master lazer. Drills holes as fast as a gas auger at a fraction of the cost and weight and no warm up time!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:50 pm 
Walleye

love my husky auger drill all weekend on a tank of gas , 22lbs never had a prob starting 50/1 fuel mix no smoke. ... its awesome

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:29 pm 
Goby

hand drill it ...no recoils no gas stench and it will never let you down with the amount of ice we get now it is hardly worth any other method

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:20 pm 
Guppy

i ended up getting a brand new eskimo 51 cc gas auger. got it a great deal of $200..never used

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:10 am 
Guppy

Hey Goby I think you need a new battery ! I have the de Walt lithium ion 4 amp and can drill holes all day. A new battery should solve that issue. Cheers.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:15 pm 
Jumbo Perch

I too am using A 20volt dewalt on a 8” Mora. I’m still amazed! I was not a believer til I tried it. You can do 10” of ice in 20 sec. Don’t be afraid to buy the 14.00 adapter at CT. A good drill is a must

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:18 pm 
Jumbo Perch

I am using a 20v Dewalt I did 10holes on Sat with no sign of battery dying. I do have an extra For backup and of course the handle.

quote="Digem1"]
JubesMoose wrote:
The best $17 i have ever spent eas on the drill adapter for the hand auger. Been using my 18 volt dewalt for 3 yrs with it with not an issue. Powers thru ice no problem at all

How many holes are you getting? I started using mine this year, older ni-cad dewalt on 8" eskimo. In the 12" or so of ice we have now I've been getting about a hole to two with a battery.[/quote]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:26 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

The drill and auger are a great combination I agree but.... like all things it might work and some work well while others not so good. A Milwakee M18 drill or a Dewalt 20 will get you a few holes if you are only using a 1 or 2 amp hour battery, take the same drill and drop in a 4-5 amp hour battery and it will do most fisherman a day and some the weekend. If you buy a drill that only has a 1-2 amp hr. battery you will likely end up wanting a 4,5, 6 or larger amp hr. battery. Unfortunately when you do upgrade batteries you will likely need to upgrade the charger as well or your new battery will not fully charge.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:38 am 
Goby

I have the Model 30 Jiffy 10" bulletproof auger that I use for deep ice or when I go to Lake Winnipeg, LOW, Red Lake or Devils Lake when on a trip.

I LOVE my ION for one day trips. Light, smooth and convenient. I'd be curious to know if the new X battery fits the previous model ION, the first one with reverse?

I almost always bring the jiffy in the truck but leave it in the truck as a backup. Never had to drill enough holes that I ran out of juice...other than the day I left my battery at home in the charger 60 miles from my destination....then the Jiffy got used.

If you are going to be hole hopping, electric may not be the best choice...if you pan to drill 20-25 holes at most, an ION will do the trick. I prefer to have two augers, you might be able to find a used gas for $150-$200..