Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:05 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Lost my first big Eye
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:01 am 
Walleye

Fished the bay for a few years now with nothing bigger then eaters. Was out at Sherman's yesterday caught a couple little baby walleye and while I was jigging up my rod bent and was heavy as he'll. I honestly thought I hooked bottom then i felt it pull. Got it up to the hole and got a good look at it and my heart started pounding it was a monster. Then the damn thing turned and was gone. I bet the hole Bay heard me cursing haha I almost cried

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:41 am 
Walleye

Hey Brian 1990. I had the same thing yesterday fishing the bay was jigging away n red mark shot up off bottom stopped jogging he took it. N got em to the hole he was gone. Sent the lure back down and couldn’t believe what happened. Ate it again get em to the hole and just before I could reach down he was gone again.

I’ve caught some big fish at 13.8 pb on the bay. But this fish straightened my hook on my buckshot. Guess that is what keeps us all coming back!

Tight lines ladies and gents

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:46 am 
Walleye Angler

Yes it has happened to all of us at one time ....i usally cry
Red

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:03 am 
Walleye

I think the worst part is I can't even get back out there today to try again cause this stupid thing we call work

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:11 am 
Walleye

fishingjim wrote:
Hey Brian 1990. I had the same thing yesterday fishing the bay was jigging away n red mark shot up off bottom stopped jogging he took it. N got em to the hole he was gone. Sent the lure back down and couldn’t believe what happened. Ate it again get em to the hole and just before I could reach down he was gone again.

I’ve caught some big fish at 13.8 pb on the bay. But this fish straightened my hook on my buckshot. Guess that is what keeps us all coming back!

What type of Buckshots do you use? The rattle or the flutter? I have a rattle and have had no luck with it yet might try a flutter

Post subject: Lost my first big Eye
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:19 am 
Guppy

Hey guys. How is the ice holding up at Sherman’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:42 am 
Walleye

I feel your pain. But losing one at the hole definitely makes you comeback for more. At least nobody said to you when you lost it , that’s why they call it fishing and not catching. Better luck next time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:35 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Guys, The keys to hooking and landing big Walleye are larger good quality sharp hooks, good quality line and a drag set close to the maximum breaking strength. Large Walleye have very tough mouths. When you hook any fish you should hook it as if it is going to be a 10lber. It is better to have Your drag cranked up. You will lose less big fish. Even the biggest Walleye don’t pull a lot of drag. Just hook hard initially, then slowly reel the fish to the hole. If you horse a Walleye he will pull back. Just take your time any you will catch you 10 lber. Good Luck. BATMAN

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:13 pm 
Walleye

^ great advice Batman .

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:12 am 
Walleye

I think my biggest issue wad I was using my medium light cause the jumbo were biting and didn't get a good solid hook set. I'm not going to be using it anymore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:11 pm 
Walleye

BATMAN wrote:
Guys, The keys to hooking and landing big Walleye are larger good quality sharp hooks, good quality line and a drag set close to the maximum breaking strength. Large Walleye have very tough mouths. When you hook any fish you should hook it as if it is going to be a 10lber. It is better to have Your drag cranked up. You will lose less big fish. Even the biggest Walleye don’t pull a lot of drag. Just hook hard initially, then slowly reel the fish to the hole. If you horse a Walleye he will pull back. Just take your time any you will catch you 10 lber. Good Luck. BATMAN

New hooks get added along with line every year. Was just having a bad day I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:13 pm 
Walleye

Brian1990 wrote:
fishingjim wrote:

What type of Buckshots do you use? The rattle or the flutter? I have a rattle and have had no luck with it yet might try a flutter

Buck shot rattle If you can find what the presentation the fish want they will eat anything

banner ad