Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:50 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:05 pm 
Guppy

I've been following your board for a while now and I'd like to say that I think it's great. I've learned a lot from it.
Thought it was time to give something back, so I'm going to try posting for the first time.
I've been having some luck lately in Long Reach, out from Huff's. Caught a 32 incher in about 30 feet of water yesterday afternoon and lost another one right at the hole that seemed just as big. The landed fish was released after a quick photo & measurement (I'll post the photo if someone tells me how to do it).
I've been using a multi-coloured (green, orange, silver) Mepp's scyclops in the largest size (size 3) - caught a number of large Quinte walleye on this in recent years. Yesterday I decided to put on an in line rattle about 2 feet up that seemed to help (saw more fish come in on the Vexilar than I'd seen for a while). BT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:46 pm 
Walleye Angler

Welcome to quintefishing.com tuftsb.

I hope you get as much enjoyment here as I and others do. For me, it is a connection of sorts to back home while working in Western Canada for a good portion of the year. Quinte is still home for me though and I am thankful that this board is here to allow me a glimpse while I am away.

Regards
Don Stokes

Post subject: welcome aboard
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:52 am 
Site Admin

Welcome Aboard!

Nice fish. Send me the picture and I will post it for you. Again, welcome and hope to see you jumping in on some of the discussions as I know you have some background on many of the discussions here.

Post subject: added rattle
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:52 pm 
Walleye Angler

tuftsb:
This morning after "prime-time" I was thinking about your post about adding a rattle to your line and i put a buckshot spoon on which has a built in rattle . I had the under water camera on so i started doing some quick jigging of the spoon to see what happened . I saw a bigger fish coming in from above it was a whitefish . As long as i was rattling the lure it would stay around but when i stoped it would go away . When i started rattling again it would come back . It never bit at the lure but would keep checking it out . We played this game for 15 min till i gave up . Later on i tried it again and had two whitefish check it out but not bite at it . I wonder if that was what you saw on the vex ? Pretty interesting stuff .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:43 pm 
Guppy

Duber,
Interesting observations. You could be right. I had several big fish come in that night that seemed to head straight to the rattle (came in high). I was at the same spot yesterday and the same thing happened. Big fish came in nice and close, but would not take. Could be whitefish. Any idea what lures work for whitefish? My impression is something small. I'd like to catch one.
I would still expect that a rattle might draw in walleye. I hooked 3 on Tuesday (including 2 monster walleye) and Thursday I caught 2 small ones with a rattle.
I think half the problem on Quinte is attracting fish from a distance. Rattles might help for all species in that regard.
The camera sounds fun. Might have to be the next toy!
Anyone know where to consistently find whitefish on Quinte? What's their season?
BT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:38 pm 
Walleye Angler

I have used a rattle for years, and have always had success. I always used a mister champ. I used a grinder to cut a grove in the back side of the champ. Then I used a hot glue gun and attached it to the back that way. But for the last couple of years I have used a Whistle jig in gold and I attach a rattle to it. The combination of the prop spinning and the rattle rattling really turns on the eyes. Then once I see them come on the vexilar i will see if they wan't to play or not.