Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:29 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:53 am 
Jumbo Perch

I would appreciate a bit of advise. I haven’t fished B of Q in the winter. I have been fishing Lake Trout most of the winter on Loughborough Lake. I’d like to try something different on Sat. I’ll be walking pulling a shack and gear. Would like some suggestions. Not knowing the area, I don’t want to get into a dangerous ice situation. A post suggests Huffs. Is that a good place to start. Are guys using minnows? What lures can you recommend. If anyone wants to venture out my way, I’d be happy to share info on Lakers. I’ve had good luck this winter. Thanks in advance, great forum.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:07 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Hi Northerer10,

Welcome to the post.

Huff's is usually good fishing. The ice there can be inconsistent. I'd stay close to the trail, if there is one. Lots of test spudding if you wander off the trail. The middle is usually thinner also the ice thickness can change in a few feet, so be careful.
The middle is around 35 ft. I usually try and get around 24 ft.. I've always had good luck with a gold champ and a minnow right at the bottom.

There's no parking on all of Huff's Lane including the turn around. The fine is $50.00. There's a field on the left for $5.00 a day or some people park on the edge of the ice.

I'm going to Huff's tomorrow so I'll let you know how it looks.

Good luck and have a safe drive.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:56 am 
Jumbo Perch

Thanks for the info, it’s an easy drive from here and a good place to start. Looking forward to hearing how the ice is. I guess I better buy a spud.

Roblin wrote:
Hi Northerer10,

Welcome to the post.

Huff's is usually good fishing. The ice there can be inconsistent. I'd stay close to the trail, if there is one. Lots of test spudding if you wander off the trail. The middle is usually thinner also the ice thickness can change in a few feet, so be careful.
The middle is around 35 ft. I usually try and get around 24 ft.. I've always had good luck with a gold champ and a minnow right at the bottom.

There's no parking on all of Huff's Lane including the turn around. The fine is $50.00. There's a field on the left for $5.00 a day or some people park on the edge of the ice.

I'm going to Huff's tomorrow so I'll let you know how it looks.

Good luck and have a safe drive.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:55 am 
Minnow

Welcome Northerner,

I agree that Huff's is probably a good spot to start. It does get a lot of positive feedback and suppose to be a short walk (have not fished it) and if it were closer to where my parents live I would probably have fished it. With the being said it seems like there are lots of good spots from West to East on the Bay. Big Bay is about half way and an excellent location to walk out (wagers on south side very good but 5-600 yd walk), especially if ice is questionable at higher current areas at certain times such as Huff's. In regards to Lures I have had good luck with many and usually make my choice based on the current more than any other factor. I myself really like the lighter flutter spoons (williams, sidewinder etc.) as they have great action and the fish seem to like them. If I was fishing in a high current area such as huff's though I may choose a heavier lure in order to keep the drift to a minimum (keep line relatively tight and on flasher screen). Last week in the river I was using 1/2 buckshots, swedish pimple and whistle jigs (3/8 oz) as they were the lures that drifted the least and that I had faith in. I usually use silver or bright colours and have yet to really see a general preference by the fish. I would suggest to bring a variety of lures with varying weights and profiles in order to adjust to the current which does change on a daily basis. As far as bait I have heard that many with vibratos or lipless crank baits skip the addition of bait however I usually add a piece of meat. Typically half or less of a full minnow tipped on my lure, though many use multiple minnows. I also like the small minnow as they provide a better action to you lure. To me the type/colour of lure is the least important aspect of ice fishing, and how you work it is the most. Hopefully you have a flasher or other electronics. If you do I strongly suggest to jig by lifting 1-2 feet, and once a fish shows on your electronics to switch to a slow rise from the bottom with some "shaking of your rod tip. I have found if you just keep jigging as you were you will most likely scare the fish away. As well if I stop on the rise most fish also stop and lose interest. This to me is the most important reason to have electronics. If you do not have one, buy, borrow one as you will never look back. It is also a lot more interesting fishing with electronics then staring at the hole wondering if anything is happening. Last piece of advice is when the fish are biting you do not have to be there in the dark to catch fish and the bite window may go over several hours in the morning and afternoon. However when the fishing is slow like it has been the last week I would strongly recommend being set up 30 minutes prior to sun rise and fishing at least until 30 minutes after sunset as the 30 minutes before sunrise and after sunset may be the only time active fish may come bye on that particular day.
Fish Stalker
Good Luck

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:36 pm 
Walleye

^^ excellent posts. That little jiggle can seal the deal though. I take the line and pinch between my thumb and middle finger then take my index and kind of strum/pluck it. It has landed many reluctant fish ( and lost enough that way to , but I should be using stingers when they are reluctant)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:09 pm 
Jumbo Perch

Thanks a lot for the advice, well written, all sounds good, I have most of that in my box.

quote="Fish Stalker"]Welcome Northerner,

I agree that Huff's is probably a good spot to start. It does get a lot of positive feedback and suppose to be a short walk (have not fished it) and if it were closer to where my parents live I would probably have fished it. With the being said it seems like there are lots of good spots from West to East on the Bay. Big Bay is about half way and an excellent location to walk out (wagers on south side very good but 5-600 yd walk), especially if ice is questionable at higher current areas at certain times such as Huff's. In regards to Lures I have had good luck with many and usually make my choice based on the current more than any other factor. I myself really like the lighter flutter spoons (williams, sidewinder etc.) as they have great action and the fish seem to like them. If I was fishing in a high current area such as huff's though I may choose a heavier lure in order to keep the drift to a minimum (keep line relatively tight and on flasher screen). Last week in the river I was using 1/2 buckshots, swedish pimple and whistle jigs (3/8 oz) as they were the lures that drifted the least and that I had faith in. I usually use silver or bright colours and have yet to really see a general preference by the fish. I would suggest to bring a variety of lures with varying weights and profiles in order to adjust to the current which does change on a daily basis. As far as bait I have heard that many with vibratos or lipless crank baits skip the addition of bait however I usually add a piece of meat. Typically half or less of a full minnow tipped on my lure, though many use multiple minnows. I also like the small minnow as they provide a better action to you lure. To me the type/colour of lure is the least important aspect of ice fishing, and how you work it is the most. Hopefully you have a flasher or other electronics. If you do I strongly suggest to jig by lifting 1-2 feet, and once a fish shows on your electronics to switch to a slow rise from the bottom with some "shaking of your rod tip. I have found if you just keep jigging as you were you will most likely scare the fish away. As well if I stop on the rise most fish also stop and lose interest. This to me is the most important reason to have electronics. If you do not have one, buy, borrow one as you will never look back. It is also a lot more interesting fishing with electronics then staring at the hole wondering if anything is happening. Last piece of advice is when the fish are biting you do not have to be there in the dark to catch fish and the bite window may go over several hours in the morning and afternoon. However when the fishing is slow like it has been the last week I would strongly recommend being set up 30 minutes prior to sun rise and fishing at least until 30 minutes after sunset as the 30 minutes before sunrise and after sunset may be the only time active fish may come bye on that particular day.
Fish Stalker
Good Luck[/quote]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:10 pm 
Jumbo Perch

Thanks for the tip

FishinScuba wrote:
^^ excellent posts. That little jiggle can seal the deal though. I take the line and pinch between my thumb and middle finger then take my index and kind of strum/pluck it. It has landed many reluctant fish ( and lost enough that way to , but I should be using stingers when they are reluctant)

banner ad